Brewer Fanatic

Something to feel good about: Hunter Morris is just raking! -- Call him up?

The stache

Hunter Morris is just destroying the baseball right now. In the nine games since coming off the 7 day DL for a concussion, Hunter has been hitting some absolute bombs. Check these numbers out: Hunter is 12 for 32 (.375 AVG) with 2 doubles, six home runs and 11 RBI. He's got a .444 OBP, a 1.000 SLG and a 1.444 OPS. He hit two home runs the day he came off the DL on May 18th, another on May 20th, and has gone yard three of the last four games. That's 10 home runs for the season, second best in AAA. I watched the game last night, and that left handed power stroke is looking awfully good right now.

Since the start of the 2012 season, Hunter's played 177 games. He's got 677 at bats, 48 doubles, 7 triples, 38 home runs and 137 RBI, putting up a .292/.346/.552 slash line. He'll be 25 in October. I hope the Brewers will be bringing him up soon. I think he's almost ready, and we could use another power bat in our lineup.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

"Hey, Corey, have you ever played second base before?" :laughing
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Anything would be better than what we have going on at first now ... Why not just try him until Hart is back? ... I guess the roster juggling is the issue but I would like to see him up

Any word on Harts return?

Nice to see he is hitting. I would bring him up even though I still have reservations about him. Our 1B situation is just that bad and has been all year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He'll be up once Hart gets traded in July.

I hope Hart can raise his trade value in the short period of time he will have to do so. I'm wondering if Morris comes up if Aoki is traded in July and Hart returns to RF if unable to get anything in return for him?

The way this team is playing, hell, bring up Scooter and Morris and see what they can do for a couple of weeks.

Morris until Hart gets back would not be a bad thing. Could even keep him around for a couple weeks longer to spell Hart a game here and there to rest his knee.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

There's no way he will be up till after 1st week in June for contractual reasons.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

There's no way he will be up till after 1st week in June for contractual reasons.

Yes^^ If they brought both up now being what? 10days away from removal of Super 2 status, it would completely defeat the purpose of keeping them down there up til now. Though, Seattle just called up Nick Franklin and thats the equivalent of the Brewers franchise in terms of payroll.

One has to wonder if there's been a belief that Hart would return quicker than projected to hold back in picking up a 1b or calling up Morris.

How many 1b were waived and the club failed to pick up? Alex Gonzalez has not only been awful with the bat but once again today show's up hurting the team defensively at 1b.

Can Hunter Morris pitch?

No kidding. The starting rotation is so bad, the bullpen is throwing more innings than the starters are lately. It's to the point that getting just five innings out of a starter would be considered going deep into the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Management played their hand early. Morris raked MORE last year, than he is now. Management decided better to have backup shortstops and backup catchers at first base. They simply decided that.

What Blind Freddie could see was: 'call up Morris to start the year; when Hart is back, then send Morris back down'. In this way you have a real first baseman for a couple months. You expose the kid to MLB. He learns. He is likley gonig to be better than backup shortstops and backup catchers on offense AND defense. And when he goes back down, the service time stops again, so he is not a super two.

Just call me Blind Freddie. I posted the above scenario at the start of the year.

Our organsation is in the poo because our managment is not the brightest lightbulb in the clubhouse. That is just what way it is. They do some stuff wisely sometimes. But often they decide to play the wrong people in the wrong postions who are incapible of performing. They are forever constructing lose-lose vs lightning in the bottle scenarios. Oh well.

Soup, don't forget Morris looked lost at the plate in spring training and April. He had a shot to play his way onto the roster and didn't. I still don't think he's more than a marginal prospect, so I'd like him in aaa as long as possible

Soup, don't forget Morris looked lost at the plate in spring training and April. He had a shot to play his way onto the roster and didn't. I still don't think he's more than a marginal prospect, so I'd like him in aaa as long as possible

Rickie Weeks has been lost at the plate all year & he's still playing pretty much every day. I think the Brewers' reluctance to call up Morris is twofold: 1) He's not on the 40-man, & 2) They view him as the first baseman post-2013 & don't want to burn service time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rickie Weeks has been lost at the plate all year & he's still playing pretty much every day. I think the Brewers' reluctance to call up Morris is twofold: 1) He's not on the 40-man, & 2) They view him as the first baseman post-2013 & don't want to burn service time.

I don't think they are convinced he's the 1b post-2013. After his hot May, he's hitting .158 in June. His one plus tool is his power, but they are undoubtedly looking for more consistency before they go all in with him.

His batting line this season is .240/.319/.500. Granted his BABIP is far below his career norms but I can see why the Brewers brass might rather keep him in AAA for the time being. IMO, the big mistake with the 1B situation was not acquiring an Ishikawa type of player.

I don't think they are convinced he's the 1b post-2013. After his hot May, he's hitting .158 in June. His one plus tool is his power, but they are undoubtedly looking for more consistency before they go all in with him.

Whether they are convinced or not, they're certainly not going to use something like the 8 games he's played so far this month to sway that opinion one way or the other. Organizations don't really pay much attention to samples that small, and even so the scouting side would be what they'd watch -- you can perform well at the plate, mechanically, and still have a crummy AVG/OPS over such a tiny sample.

I think the main reason he hasn't been up this year is that he's not on the 40-man.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In all honesty, of all the reasons to not like him as a prospect his failings in spring training and april are very low on my list. Yeah, I want to see him have another solid season but plenty of guys have bad springs and aprils and end up just fine.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

homer, I never said that's why I don't like him as a prospect. First of all, I was saying he doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues now. Secondly, I was stating I feel he's a marginal prospect (as I've said for over a year now). That's not saying I don't like him as a prospect. It's just saying that I view him like Gamel and Green at this point in time. my bigger question is if Gindl will ever get a shot.

Archived