Brewer Fanatic

Donovan Hand called up to MIL

Invader3K

So who gets dropped from the 40 man to make room? And they'll need another spot for Hart in a few weeks.

Mark Rogers was transferred to 60-day DL - per Mike Vassallo tweet

I guess the good news is that they want to focus on the development of Hellweg, Pena, and Thornburg in the minors by going with Hand. Certainly didn't see Hand coming up. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hand sent back down after the game Monday and one of those three starters called up to make a spot start on Tuesday.

Doug Melvin does realize that Jesus Sanchez exists right?

That was kind of my thought. I have no problem with Hand, but Sanchez is already on the 40-man, so why not just bring him up and save the 40-man slot?

That said, I do look forward to seeing what Hand does. He almost made the club out of Spring Training, and could be a nice, inexpensive option for the future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member
Why are we starting a RP?

Because the starting options are either hurt or ineffective? Jimmy Nelson is really the only starter at the upper levels of the minors who is pitching well.

With Figaro starting on Tuesday, what can we expect? 3 innings, maybe 4 at most?

Good question. God forbid they bring up Jimmy Nelson to make a start. Speaking of relievers starting, isn't Gorzelanny no worse than the 4th most accomplished starter on the roster? And didn't the pen hold up fine in his absence? Wasn't there talk when he signed that he gave them some rotation depth in case of an emergency? If this rotation isn't an emergency I don't know what is. They had a perfect opportunity to stretch him out on a rehab assignment.

I'm already looking forward to seeing the "Jesus Saves" signs in Miller Park when Sanchez is our eventual closer

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm already looking forward to seeing the "Jesus Saves" signs in Miller Park when Sanchez is our eventual closer

LOL.. That would be the best ever, actually. No one could beat that.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Hand does have a really nice beard and pitched okay today.

Given the hole in which the Brewers had landed by the time Donovan entered the game, his debut pretty much became the day's highlight for me. I took a ridiculous number of photos of him pitching. Maybe I'll offer him copies.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Hand was likely recalled so he can serve as long-man because Figaro is starting on Tuesday.

if i understand it correctly, only players previously optioned to the minor leagues can be recalled, correct? hand had his contract purchased . . . not recalled. i know the terminology can be confusing, so i'd appreciate clarification.

Because the starting options are either hurt or ineffective? Jimmy Nelson is really the only starter at the upper levels of the minors who is pitching well.

Ariel Pena has been really good lately. He's already on the 40 man roster. Already used his option year for 2013 so there would be no concern there. His regular start day would be Wednesday though, not Tuesday. Jimmy Nelson's normal start day would be Tuesday, but since he's not on the 40 man, the Brewers would have had to purchase his contract. If he were to be sent back to the minors this year, he would burn an option year. Since he doesn't have to be added until after this season, and this is likely a spot start, better to wait than potentially lose an option year for 1 or 2 starts. I would guess they are thinking longer term with Nelson at this point.

Hand was likely recalled so he can serve as long-man because Figaro is starting on Tuesday.

if i understand it correctly, only players previously optioned to the minor leagues can be recalled, correct? hand had his contract purchased . . . not recalled. i know the terminology can be confusing, so i'd appreciate clarification.

Donovan Hand did have his contract purchased as he was not on the 40 man roster. If he were returned to the minors, he would be optioned.

Ariel Pena has been really good lately. He's already on the 40 man roster. Already used his option year for 2013 so there would be no concern there. His regular start day would be Wednesday though, not Tuesday.

How was Pena's first option season already burned? He was never on the 25-man, was he?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ariel Pena has been really good lately. He's already on the 40 man roster. Already used his option year for 2013 so there would be no concern there. His regular start day would be Wednesday though, not Tuesday.

How was Pena's first option season already burned? He was never on the 25-man, was he?

Pena is on the 40 man. He was optioned out of spring training. He's actually used 2 option years as he was added to the 40 man by the Angels 11/18/11 (with Johnny Hellweg and Jean Segura). Los Angeles optioned him out of spring training in 2012 and Milwaukee optioned him in 2013. When cutting down from 40 to 25 to start the season, players, in most cases, are optioned to keep them in the system and not expose them to waivers.

The standard is 3 option years. There are cases (Scarpetta and Rogers) where a player can obtain a 4th year usually due to extenuating circumstances.

Archived