Brewer Fanatic

Cooperstown

rwa12
Was in Syracuse for business last week, and was able to break away on Sunday to visit Cooperstown. Was definitely a bucket list visit, and really a good time. I was surprised at how small the museum was, for some reason I thought there would be much more "stuff". I looked at about everything in there, and it only took about 2 hours. I thought there would be stuff from all the members, and there may have been something in there from everyone, I just might have missed it. Yount had a jersey/helmet/cleats (I believe) from his 3k game. Fingers had a Brewers jersey, didn't see anything for Molitor, or any Sutton Brewers items. Hank Aaron has a pretty significant presence, with his own room. There was a good handful of Spahn stuff, and an Eddie Mathews item or two. The Brewers locker was very cool in the team locker room as well. They had Prince's 50 HR bat, Podsednik's cleats, one of Bill Hall's bats, Sheets' locker room plate, and some other items. Very cool experience, the town is a bit of a tourist trap, but we had some pizza from Sal's (across the street from the Wax Museum), and it was some of the best pizza I've had. Anyone else have thoughts on the HOF?

I was there two weeks ago. I try to get up there every couple of years, and really enjoy the whole experience.

I agree that there should be more "stuff" on display. Several years ago, they devoted more of the space to the chronology of baseball, and they had more of the ancient relics. Then for some reason, they started going with more themed displays. . .Women in Baseball. . .The Latin Experience. . .The Negro Leagues. . .The whole section on stadiums and the fan experience. . .

They do constantly change things there. That wall of oversized photographs on the 3rd floor is temporary. The records room with the interactive video displays on baseball records is new. They have always had an art gallery, but I really like it and wish it were bigger and had more in it. They do have some artwork in the Research Library they could move there.

Some of it is in need of change. The whole plaque gallery itself is like a mausoleum, with plaques on walls. I think once you've been through there, you kind of know what it is. The Baseball at the Movies exhibit has been there for at least 25 years. The section near the library, recognizing broadcasters and writers is pretty weak.

I had great food at the Doubleday Café, and at Alex & Ika's. The town is definitely centered around selling stuff to tourists, and that stuff is of varying levels of quality. Autographed stuff, cards, caps, t-shirts, custom bats. Doubleday Field is really beautiful. I have never been there during a game, but I imagine it would be terrific.

It's a pretty fun place, and definitely a must visit for baseball fans. I like to go during the offseason, when I'm pretty much alone in the place.

Incidentally, I think there is a Molitor Blue Jays uni on display. Not sure if they have a Brewers one out. The HOF has so much stuff in storage and they rotate it around as they make changes.

Some of the local hotels have partnered with the HOF on doing hotel packages with behind the scenes tours of the archives. I might swing for that next time.

Community Moderator
I was there two weeks ago. I try to get up there every couple of years, and really enjoy the whole experience.

I agree that there should be more "stuff" on display. Several years ago, they devoted more of the space to the chronology of baseball, and they had more of the ancient relics. Then for some reason, they started going with more themed displays. . .Women in Baseball. . .The Latin Experience. . .The Negro Leagues. . .The whole section on stadiums and the fan experience. . .

I went in 2006 and the history of baseball stuff was by far the most interesting section. I spent more time on that than the rest of the museum combined. It's good that they rotate things in and out for repeat visitors though.

my cousin and I did a Cooperstown or Bust road trip over spring break back in college. (yeah, other college kids go to warm, happening, party places. We go to Cooperstown.) We spent 3 days in the museum, reading anything and everything that we could. It was a great trip. We even got our Pursue the Pennant game out and played our league's Hall of Fame game inside the plaque gallery. It was pretty neat.

I wholeheartedly agree that the town is a tourist trap, but it also is home to the Hamburger Hall of Fame, so there you go.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I would only add that they sell memberships in the HOF. I have been a member since 1998, and two years ago I upgraded my membership to the Patron level ($175 per year).

At that price, you get a very nice lithograph of a baseball scene, pencil signed by the artist. The current artist they are using is Bill Purdom, who does classic scenes. This year's litho is of Warren Spahn pitching to Willie Mays in a famous game from 1963.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Braves-vs-Giants-July-2-1963-Limited-Edition-Lithograph-signed-Bill-Purdom-/130903470073

I'm not the ebay seller on this, but this is the litho that you get with membership this year. You can't pick and choose, they just send all Patrons that litho this year, and it will be a different piece of art next year.

Membership even at the individual level gets a HOF yearbook, a subscription to their magazine. It's a good deal, and a fun way to stay connected to the Hall.

My grandmother-in-law lives in Binghamton which is 45 minutes away. My expectations were so high my first time that I thought it was going to be much greater than it was. I've been there a few times since, and I like going into the shops just to look at all the memorabilia. They are like mini museums.

The Milwaukee to New York trip is nice if you like to stop at all the Hall of Fames. The Rock and Roll in Cleveland is great, but I would recommend doing it backwards. Start at the top and work your way down. There is so much to see on the first level that you think you'll never get through it.

Canton is 90 minutes or so off the freeway(if I recall correctly). Nice, similar to the Baseball HOF.

I have not been to the College Football HOF which is minutes off the freeway. Would like to go sometime.

Perfect timing for this thread. We've just decided to visit the HOF for the first time in August.

Would love anyone's suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc. Will be traveling with my wife, soon to be 16-year-old son and soon to be 8-year-old daughter.

Figuring to do a couple of days in Cooperstown area and then on to Buffalo/Niagara Falls area for a couple more days.

We stayed in Binghampton and just drove up each day. It was a pleasant 30 minute drive to Cooperstown from there.

I believe we ate at the Doubleday Cafe each day as it was pretty good food. The Beef Speede sandwich (or something like that) was phenominal.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

With kids in tow, I would recommend one of the chain hotels. The Holiday Inn Express is fine. I have stayed there each of the past three or four times I have been there. I have also stayed at the Best Western, which is close, too. There are nice Bed and Breakfasts, but kids might want some pool time.

The Otesaga is a fine old hotel, but I think its priced beyond my means. At least it was the last time I checked.

In Cooperstown, the HOF will probably take up a good chunk of time. The Farmers Museum is also an area attraction of some acclaim. I have not been there, though they sell combination tickets, which allow for admission to both. It seems not unlike Old World Wisconsin. Actually, I think the combo ticket also includes the Fennimore Art Museum, though I have not been there either.

For food, Alex & Ika's is very nice. The Doubleday Café is good. I had breakfast and lunch at Danny's Market, a small deli.

There's only one traffic light in Cooperstown, so if you're at the HOF, you'll park your car and be able to see all of the downtown on foot.

I was there for the weekend of Molitor's induction, so it was busy as all get out. The Hall itself was great, we spent a lot of time in there. I also got a handful of autographs, though outside of HOF induction weekend I dont think anyone signs there. (Does Pete Rose still have a shop there?)

The memorabilia shops are great to see all the signed baseballs and game used stuff. There are two bars, right across the street from each other.

When we were there we camped about 15 minutes away from downtown and it was like 20 a night or something. There was a church that had a cheap pancake breakfast. We were able to catch an independent league game at Doubleday field. As others have said, once your there you can walk everywhere. Downtown is about an 8 block stretch.

Archived