Brewer Fanatic

Claim Barton, Release Gonzalez

Oakland just DFA'd Daric Barton. Would sure be nice to pick him up and let go of Alex Gonzalez.

Barton is a lefthanded career .248/.359/.370 hitter.

With Yuni B coming back to his career norms, and A-Gon just being terrible this season, would be nice to have Barton over at first until Hart comes back.

I'd much rather have Gonzalez going forward than YuniB.

At least Gonzalez can play defense.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd much rather have Gonzalez going forward than YuniB.

At least Gonzalez can play defense.

I guess it depends on what they're going to do with Bianchi. If he ends up taking over 2B, then we need another backup SS, and Gonzalez is the more capable defender. If Weeks continues on as the everyday 2B, then Bianchi is a capable backup SS, and Yuni is a better bat off the bench than Gonzalez.

As it stands right now, there is no way Gonzalez should be anything but a backup SS. That he is still getting time at 1B is insane.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think Gonzalez will be released to make room for Hart. Barton makes some sense if they go back to 12 pitchers.

Gonzalez range isn't close to what it was pre injury so the edge he has on Yuni now is minimal. Yuni is actally better at 3B than Gonzalez. Segura is an everyday player, so it doesn't matter anyway unless he gets hurt. If that happened, Bianchi would play. Even with his recent slump, Yuni has the edge offensively too.

I would claim Barton and DFA Gonzalez.

I would then DFA Yuni when Hart comes back, leaving a bench of:

Schafer

Barton

Maldonado

Bianchi

and whomever else if they go 12 pitchers

preferably a RH hitter, maybe Davis

That bench is actually decent IMO.

He had a .393 OBP in his only full season in the majors.

Granted, it was 3 years ago, but given his injury problems, he seems best suited for a bench role. He also, as far as I know, has a good reputation defensively. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Archived