Brewer Fanatic

The K-Rod watch - K-Rod added to Brewers Roster [Lalli to NAS, Green to 60-day DL]

MLS1965
I just spent the last two games watching Francisco Rodriguez pitch the 8th innings in Nashville. His speed is not it what it once was, but today he did only face 4 batters. Walked one, struck out the next three on twenty pitches total. Yesterday faced 5, gave up 1 hit, 1 walk and threw 15 pitches. Doug Melvin was in attendance to watch, but I did not see him in the stands today. Maybe it was the 11am start, cloudless sky... and 6000 screaming kids. I guess we'll see what the choice is by thursday.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His two AAA outings seemed to have gone pretty well, though I have no idea how fast he was throwing, what he looked like, etc. But I'd imagine they are going to bring him up.

Bigger question...who goes down?

From 2009 - 2012 his ERA & WHIP have been 3.28 & 1.28 and he is only 31. If he can give us just the average between what he was last year (4.38 ERA & 1.33 WHIP) and his career average (2.70 ERA, 1.17 WHIP), meaning a 3.54 ERA & 1.25 WHIP, he is worth the callup.

Personal feelings about his off field problems aside...

His two AAA outings seemed to have gone pretty well, though I have no idea how fast he was throwing, what he looked like, etc. But I'd imagine they are going to bring him up.

Kintzler?

Kintzler is the only one with an option, right? I'm not sure if Figaro's contract allows the club to send him to the minors (it's listed as a minor-league deal, not sure if they're not allowed to send him down after he makes the club). But out of those two it would have to be Kintzler.

I hadn't realized the Brewers don't have anybody with an ERA above 4.41 except for Axford. For the most part, the bullpen has been effective this season. I suspect frustrations from last year are influencing my frustration with the bullpen this season.

Really though, do we expect K-Rod to be any better than Kintzler or Figaro? I can't say given that I haven't seen him throw, but if his velocity is down to 90 or so, I see no reason to bring him up unless he's tearing through AAA or there's an injury.

I hadn't realized the Brewers don't have anybody with an ERA above 4.41 except for Axford. For the most part, the bullpen has been effective this season. I suspect frustrations from last year are influencing my frustration with the bullpen this season.

Yeah, other than Axford (and Gonzalez early on), the bullpen hasn't been nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I don't understand why Roenicke puts Axford in when we're up, and only uses Figaro in "mop up" roles, and I don't know why we brought Fiers up instead of Sanchez, but overall, I'm not overly worried about the pen. It's the starters that are stinking the joint up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member

Is it just me or does anyone else find it totally depressing that we're talking about how a former MLB closer in AAA who started to suck is looking like a better option than our current former MLB closer who started to suck? Both of whom sucked in the same bullpen last year. I'm not sure what I'd like to see more. Axy giving up hits to everyone to blow a game or Rody walking several and giving up 1 hit to blow a game.

The whole Krod thing makes me think of how you can convince yourself that your crazy ex wasn't THAT bad when you're lonely and desperate.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it totally depressing that we're talking about how a former MLB closer in AAA who started to suck is looking like a better option than our current former MLB closer who started to suck? Both of whom sucked in the same bullpen last year. I'm not sure what I'd like to see more. Axy giving up hits to everyone to blow a game or Rody walking several and giving up 1 hit to blow a game.

The whole Krod thing makes me think of how you can convince yourself that your crazy ex wasn't THAT bad when you're lonely and desperate.

Love the "y"s and the ex reference, and I couldn't agree more... but hey, he's a proven MLB commodity.

I know I posted in a recent Link Report that I wouldn't beat this drum again for a couple of weeks but I'm doing it on a different forum, so it doesn't count or something. I don't get why K-Rod is a better option than Jesus Sanchez? Sanchez throws harder, is cheaper, is already on the 40 man, and walks fewer batters, but his K/9 isn't as high and he's not "proven".

I love power arms as much as anyone but K-Rod isn't a power arm anymore, he's an effectively wild breaking ball pitcher. If not Sanchez I'd rather go with younger/cheaper guys that throw a similarly average fastball with better control in Hand and Wooten.

I grow weary of Melvin's strategy of recycling washed up veterans that he's familiar with. K-Rod might pitch better than he did last year but that still wouldn't make this a good move if it happens.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

relievers able to be optioned listed here . . . which also includes john axford and mike fiers.

also of importance . . . who gets removed from the 40-man roster as it's currently full? taylor green to the 60-day disabled list?

relievers able to be optioned listed here . . . which also includes john axford and mike fiers.

also of importance . . . who gets removed from the 40-man roster as it's currently full? taylor green to the 60-day disabled list?

thought Green was already on 60-day? I mean, that makes the most sense..

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

it'll also be Fiers who goes down as he only came back up because Gorzo went on the DL. I doubt he'd be back already had Gorzo not gotten hurt. we'll probably see Lalli get optioned back down. I think the brewers need more pitching options than they do bench options right now.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

see ya soon

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Fiers and Axford have options remaining. I would like to see Axford sent down to work on things, but I think it's more likely that Fiers gets sent out to start in the minors.

I don't understand the options rules. Can they really send down a veteran of multiple seasons without his permission? That would seem to me to be the easy answer, but I don't love Axford as much as RR. If his psyche is so fragile he can't handle being demoted, then how can you have him pitch in the playoffs?

So... yeah. Guaranteeing this guy a $2M rate to continue to be a wheel of terror. Not a fan.

I guess I'm half expecting them to give Dave Bush & Doug Davis a call.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived