Brewer Fanatic

Sellers at the Trade Deadline [Designated 2013 General Brewers Trade Rumor/Idea Thread (please see post #162)]

Many Teams Scouting Brewers' Relievers

By Tim Dierkes [July 9 at 1:16pm CST]

Brewers relievers John Axford, Francisco Rodriguez, and Mike Gonzalez are a popular bunch. A Dodgers scout was sent to Milwaukee this week to watch the available trio, writes Danny Knobler of CBS Sports, while the Red Sox, Orioles and Tigers have scouts in Milwaukee this week and the other NL West teams are interested in the Brewers' relievers as well as Yovani Gallardo. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports has a new report too, saying the Tigers, Orioles, and Diamondbacks have scouted the Brewers' relievers in recent days and weeks.

Morosi says the D'Backs and Brewers have discussed Axford, Rodriguez, and Jim Henderson, while Knobler says the Brewers have told teams Henderson won't be dealt. Interest from the Tigers and Orioles appears more preliminary, writes Morosi, and the Tigers and Brewers have not had formal talks recently.

Rodriguez and Gonzalez will be eligible for free agency after the season, while Axford is under team control through 2016 as an arbitration eligible player. As a Super Two with 106 career saves to his credit, Axford's salary jumped to $5MM this year. As Morosi notes, Axford's salary might scare some teams off, though his lack of saves this year will slow down his arbitration raises. Even though a team can technically own Axford's rights through 2016, the focus for a team acquiring him has to be on 2013, with tendering him a contract even for 2014 a decision that will require more information and some thought. It's one of the reasons the Brewers are reportedly willing to move him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/many-teams-scouting-brewers-relievers.html

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member

White Sox trade Matt Thornton to Red Sox for OF Brandon Jacobs

Seems like pretty good news for us. Thornton is expensive and has been relatively mediocre for a while now, whereas Baseball America had Jacobs as the Red Sox #6 prospect entering the season

I would expect K-Rod/Axford to bring back substantially better than that.

Community Moderator

Seems like pretty good news for us. Thornton is expensive and has been relatively mediocre for a while now, whereas Baseball America had Jacobs as the Red Sox #6 prospect entering the season

BA had Jacobs as the Red Sox #13 prospect entering the season. I agree though, the White Sox received good value for a 36 year old reliever owed $3.5 million.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member

BA had Jacobs as the Red Sox #13 prospect entering the season. I agree though, the White Sox received good value for a 36 year old reliever owed $3.5 million.

Yeah, my mistake. He was #6 pre-2012. Even #13 is not a bad return though.

Axford is more expensive. KRod is a rental. I don't see how a 3.53ERA RP is mediocre? His ERA was 3 prior to a recent Season Worst 3ER in .1 ip outing. He'll likely erode it back down towards 3.

As to Jacobs and the return. It's fits the kind of profile I'd expect in trade for a RP. A so-so projected prospect with something that flashes potential. In his case a 20HR bat that maybe turns to 25-30 in further improved development. I actually see Jacobs as the kind of guy who likely spends another 2-3 up to 4years in the minors before getting a crack on a ML roster. Looks more like a 5th OF to me by the numbers.

I hope the Brewers do better, especially as the deadline approaches and more teams become desperate. I think Boston did great in this trade, getting a jump on their competition by attaining a RP they need before everyone else and before prices got out of hand

If I'm a contending GM, Gorzelanny would look pretty good to me. If I needed a 4 or 5 starter, I'd probably be willing to part with something of value

Gorzo is showing every bit why I loved his signing. But I don't know why he was used so sparingly for these Starts that could have been his over Burgos,Hand, and Figaro?

I think the Crew need to keep him just as a SP for the remainder of the season and potentially as one next season. Especially if 1 of Lohse/Gallardo are traded away.

He's a free agent after this season, & since 2010 has posted a cumulative 3.58 ERA over 350+ IP. I think I'd rather see what he could bring back in a trade. If the Brewers can turn the minimal salary they spent on him into a solid prospect, I'd jump at the chance.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He's a free agent after this season, & since 2010 has posted a cumulative 3.58 ERA over 350+ IP. I think I'd rather see what he could bring back in a trade. If the Brewers can turn the minimal salary they spent on him into a solid prospect, I'd jump at the chance.

No he isn't. He signed a 2-year deal. Making $2.95 million next season.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Oh, crap. Then I definitely think he can bring back a good return. His first two starts were good, and he was even better tonight. I misread the Cots page.

But that's just it. If he's only set to make 2.95mil next season and can give Milw, spot starts like he did today and has in every one of them. Don't you prefer to have that next season as insurance with the likes of Peralta,Thornburg/Hellweg,Jungmann, and at some point Nelson on the mound? Barring some kind of return on a deal that nets Milw, a true SP ready immediately, I think Gorzo is better kept on the team. If that trade happens where a SP comes in a deal, then I'd fully make Gorzo available afterwards.

Verified Member

Axford is more expensive. KRod is a rental. I don't see how a 3.53ERA RP is mediocre? His ERA was 3 prior to a recent Season Worst 3ER in .1 ip outing. He'll likely erode it back down towards 3.

Actually Thornton is more expensive (and also comes with a $1M buyout for next season, unless they want to spend $6M on him). He was an elite reliever from 2008-10 but has been in decline ever since; his ERA this year is 3.86 and that's overperforming his peripherals (4.71 FIP!). He also has a .414 OBP vs. RHB this season, so basically they have to use him as a LOOGY if they have any sense.

So they got an expensive, sort of mediocre LOOGY.

In contrast, Axford and K-Rod have the ability to close, Axford is under team control for a few more years, and both have pitching outstanding over the last few months. They should have way more value than Thornton.

Oh, crap. Then I definitely think he can bring back a good return. His first two starts were good, and he was even better tonight. I misread the Cots page.

But that's just it. If he's only set to make 2.95mil next season and can give Milw, spot starts like he did today and has in every one of them. Don't you prefer to have that next season as insurance with the likes of Peralta,Thornburg/Hellweg,Jungmann, and at some point Nelson on the mound? Barring some kind of return on a deal that nets Milw, a true SP ready immediately, I think Gorzo is better kept on the team. If that trade happens where a SP comes in a deal, then I'd fully make Gorzo available afterwards.

I wouldn't even consider him for spot starts at this point, I'd pencil him into our rotation next year and call it a day.

If we lose one of Gallardo or Lohse, there is nothing to lose in having Gorziiiiiiii at that price to start the year in the rotation.

What would our rotation then look like?

1. Gallardo/Lohse

2. Peralta

3. Estrada ????

4. Gorziiiiiii

5. one of Thornburg/Hellweg/Jungmann/Nelson and I'll throw in Narveson before someone else does, even though I hope he is never an option for our starting rotation again.

That looks pretty ugly.

I'm starting to think that unless we get a ridiculous offer, I want to hang onto Axford. Of course price plays into this, but the dude looks like he has figured some things out. Just don't want to move him for garbage.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

But that's just it. If he's only set to make 2.95mil next season and can give Milw, spot starts like he did today and has in every one of them. Don't you prefer to have that next season as insurance with the likes of Peralta,Thornburg/Hellweg,Jungmann, and at some point Nelson on the mound?

Nope. I don't want to keep clinging to players past 30 with only one season of team control remaining. As I said, I think Gorzelanny could bring back a solid prospect. The 2014 Brewers aren't a #4 SP away from contending. There's no point in not capitalizing on the value Gorzelanny has right now -- during the season & when he's on top of his game. Contending clubs overpay for pitching during the season every year. What are the Brewers going to do, keep him so they win 80 games next year instead of 76? They wouldn't get much for him at the '14 deadline, since he'd be a 2+ month rental at that point.

If you want the non-proactive cycle to continue in Milwaukee, then yeah, sure -- hang on to Gorzelanny. However, iirc you have been bagging on Melvin for not being proactive. This would be a proactive move... and has the potential to turn a smart, small investment of money into an impact player down the road.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It is really important that our silly management do not think we are one tweak away from contending in 2014. The rest of this year and 2014 are the minimum rebuild time table. So any player not in control in 2015+ has absolutely NIL value to the team right now or in 2014. Now I say 'silly' re our management, because they really don't seem to get it. If you cannot contend with your team in 2013, then the SAME team in 2014 will not compete.

Doug should do all he can to build a team that in 2015, with luck, can contend. But a 2015 team that will improve into 2016.

loved gorzo as a bucco, lovin' gorzo as a brewer, really hoping they keep him and dont trade him off. RRR already said he's moving ito the rotation after ASG and Figaro going back to the bullpen

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Verified Member

Not sure if this warrants its own thread, but what about A-Ram to Boston?

Reports today that they want to shore up 3B/SS, and they might be the only team that could easily take on his contract (or at least a large portion of it). Looking at Cots, the Red Sox payroll commitments drop off a cliff after 2013 (when their payroll is right around $155M): not counting arbitration, they have $87M committed next year, and only $29M in 2015.

Add to that the fact that the 2014 free agent market is horrendous (I doubt anybody is going to want to spend on Youkilis or Young, and after that the best free agent 3B is... Wilson Betemit?)

The only caveat is that they have Middlebrooks and Garin Cecchini, but apparently they want an upgrade for the immediate future. Maybe Middlebrooks could be part of the package coming the other way?

Seems like lots of possibilities here with their alleged interest in starting pitching and relief pitching as well.

Aramis would be the best candidate, if he were Healthy. I'm thinking if the deal is made, it's at a low value in return.

The other candidate I mentioned somewhere else is: Juan Francisco. I could see the Red Sox take a Platoon approach with Middlebrooks and Francisco. The other being a bench bat. As the deadline approaches and every game Iglesias shows he has a very incapable bat, adds to Boston's search for a 3b upgrade. I'd venture the Francisco with 1b/3b exposure this year now gives him added value on top of his potential DH replacing Ortiz power ability if thinking ahead.

I realize the Brewers gave up just about nothing to get Juan, but Boston could view Juan as the player best to fill their need and give up more than what we gave up.

Archived