Brewer Fanatic

Sellers at the Trade Deadline [Designated 2013 General Brewers Trade Rumor/Idea Thread (please see post #162)]

I don't see how the DBack trade Delgado for Gallardo. They need his arm right now, I think that fact is why they are looking at Gallardo.

I stil wonder how they work this out after this season. Corbin,Miley,Skaggs,Delgado with Gallardo? What happens to Cahill/Kennedy/and McCarthy?

You would think Cahill remains with his contract. So Kennedy? Does he just not get offered Arbitration this offseason and let go to Free Agency?

McCarthy? Could the Brewers work a deal in this trade to take him for next season plus prospects? Just a way for Arz. to dump payroll? But for that to happen there needs to be more from Milwaukee than just Gallardo plus RP/s.

Keep in mind the plus prospects are in line with the original idea of acquiring Davidson/Holmberg.

I feel like Arizona needs to keep Delgado to balance their rising payroll'd players. Especially if they acquire Gallardo. But for that to happen there needs to be more from Milwaukee than just Gallardo plus RP/s.

Arizona is in trouble when it comes to payroll and they need to shed some before taking on more.

84mil this year jumps to estimate of 106mil next year and 113mil in 2015.

They lose practically no one to FA. How do they add KRod/Axford/Henderson or any other RPs when they have 16mil tied in to Putz/Bell next year on top of 7+ remaining this year? Note there's 4mil compensate from Miami for Bell this year/next.

Cody Ross making 9.5mil 2014/+15

McCarthy's 10.25mil next year.

Kubel has a 7.5 mil option for next year.

I feel like with Kennedy,Bell,Putz,Ross,McCarthy, and Kubel the Arizona needs to dump 1 away before acquiring Gallardo for Delgado.

So I wonder if a crazy trade happens. Let's say ARam is a part of the deal and the Brewers get Kubel and Bell. Then you throw in Skaggs/Davidson for Gallardo? I don't know.

I'm too concerned here that Arizona can't operate with Gallardo added to their roster without Arizona working some kind of roster relief.

Prado? Does he become the wrinkle they shed? Some how some way in that scenario we're talking getting Weeks and/or ARam removed first before committing to Prado.

Do the Brewers take 3-5mil for Bell? and use him next season?

I guess Arizona's best fit is Gallardo and KRod since he'll be a FA.

I don't really see any ML players that I mentioned, taking up roster space at a high price, that I'd want coming over to Milwaukee. Prado maybe but in our trade ideas they include Davidson leaving an OF/2b spot for Prado to play....1b? Prado's a 3year commitment after this season so him playing 1b in the future wont work. Playing in the OF...That's our overpopulated spot. so 2b?

Look over Arizona's roster. Tell me how you fit Gallardo beyond this season with what remains for next season.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at standings. Sellers vs. Buyers.

It's only been a week but a bad week in the W/L column makes a few other teams seem more in the seller vs. buyer department.

Clear sellers are and wont change: Marlins,Astros,Brewers,Cubs,White Sox,Twins, and Mets.

The in betweens right now are:Mariners,Giants,Padres,Angels,Phillies, and Blue Jays.

The Mariners,Giants,Padres,Phillies, and Blue Jays are looking more to selling vs. Buying and these teams really impact the Brewers Trade Chips.

Josh Johnson could become available.

Cliff Lee/Chase Utley/ and Michael Young become Available.

Chase Headley/Edison Volquez/Huston Street

Hunter Pence

Mike Morse/Kendry Morales/Raul Ibanez/Tom Wilhelmsen.

Worsens ARam/Weeks/CL/RP value as well as Aoki's value.

Really need to see Toronto/San Diego/ and Phillies win in the next 10 games to lessen their selling modes.

Josh Johnson could become available.

Cliff Lee/Chase Utley/ and Michael Young become Available.

Chase Headley/Edison Volquez/Huston Street

Hunter Pence

Mike Morse/Kendry Morales/Raul Ibanez/Tom Wilhelmsen.

Worsens ARam/Weeks/CL/RP value as well as Aoki's value.

Really need to see Toronto/San Diego/ and Phillies win in the next 10 games to lessen their selling modes.

Utley and Lee are at about a 1% chance of being traded. Young, Morales, Morse (when he comes back from the DL), Ibanez (not going to get all that much for him), and Street are extremely likely to get traded. I don't see Headley being traded as his value is extremely low right now and I believe the Padres are going to extend him anyways or at least try to. Volquez has very little trade value right now and the Padres may just want to keep him until the season is over and just give him a QO and take a draft pick though that would be really risky.

The Phillies GM sees their team competing next year for a playoff spot and will not trade Lee. Utley may go but I doubt it as the Phillies will be looking to extend him or at least resign him in the off season. There is an extremely small chance Utley gets traded.

As for the Blue Jays I don't see them trading Johnson at all as I believe they still see themselves in contention for the AL East or at least one of the wild cards. The Red Sox are not as good as their record and can be caught. Another team that will be buyers and has some holes especially in the bullpen. The Yankees are another team that will need players this year and next year but they are a bad match prospect wise for the Brewers.

If Z sells in Seattle he might be out of a job. He needed Hultzen and Walker to arrive a year sooner.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If Z sells in Seattle he might be out of a job. He needed Hultzen and Walker to arrive a year sooner.

The majority of the guys listed are FA after this season. Only Wilhelmsen isn't. Who's one of those controlled closers that a team might overpay in prospect for.

It'd be a shame if Jack Z. would be let go before Hultzen and Walker played for them. They have up Zunino,Franklin, Miller, Pryor, Capps and Maurer . Still have others in the pipeline after Hultzen/Walker to watch the Mariners succeed in short time.

At my count that would be 11 players graduated to the ML club by the 2015 season for a core of 3years minimum. With Felix/Seager that's a helluva 13man out of 25 to build around. And that's taking in to account Montero busts.

But, if Jack Z were let go, I'd hope the Brewers wouldn't hesitate at all to find a job for him.

Edit adding: Their weakness is not having a cornerstone in the OF in the lineup. Solution, Gomez for Hultzen,Pike and some other prospect this offseason. That would be one of the avenues I pursue to solve the Pitching while the trades before the deadline may solve other positional needs if pitching isn't a fit.

I'd be very disappointed if we didn't try to unload Weeks, Ramirez, Lohse, Aoki, Axford, and K-Rod this off-season. I think I would keep Gallardo since he's locked up for two more seasons, and his value is down right now.

I think w/ all of the young pitchers at AA and AAA next season is the perfect time to do a partial rebuild and go into next season w/ all youngsters in the rotation. Between, Peralta, Hellweg, Nelson, Thornburg, Burgos, Pena and Jungmann I think it could work well.

So the Ricky Nolasco trade is approaching and MLBTR has the Dodgers with 1 pitching prospect and the SF Giants with 2 Pitching prospects but asking for cash as the best on the table deals.

Should go a bit in figuring out what teams are parting with or not willing to part with. Rockies,Rangers,Orioles, and Padres were also in on Nolasco.

The Rockies apparently had 2 decent position players on the table earlier. Can't imagine it taking but a day or two from now so Nolasco is traded before his next start.

I decided to stick this here, instead of creating a new thread for it...

Adam McCalvy's tweet, before today's game with the Mets:

It's standing room only in the press box dining room because of all the scouts here tonight. Tigers, O's, Cardinals among the many.

Teams could be scouting Mets, but if it's Brewers they were after, I would assume it's the relievers, since neither Gallardo or Lohse pitched today.

I decided to stick this here, instead of creating a new thread for it...

Adam McCalvy's tweet, before today's game with the Mets:

It's standing room only in the press box dining room because of all the scouts here tonight. Tigers, O's, Cardinals among the many.

Teams could be scouting Mets, but if it's Brewers they were after, I would assume it's the relievers, since neither Gallardo or Lohse pitched today.

He tweeted that on Saturday, and Gallardo was pitching.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Mod Request

In the interest of attempting to not have the same discussions taking place in 2 or 3 threads, please use this thread for any general Brewers trade rumors in 2013. For the other threads, please do your best to stay on topic with said thread's original post. I realize there isn't always going to be a black-&-white kind of context, but think of it this way: if you have to ask what thread it should go in, it should probably go in this one!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe this has use here, maybe it doesn't? But Baseball America updated their top 50 prospects list. (No Brewer included of course)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-prospect-update-top-50-prospects/

Astros have 5. Cardinals 4. Reds 2. Cubs 3. Pirates 3. Pretty Lucky the Astros went to the AL. As it stands 24% of top 50 reside in our division out of 14% of teams in baseball.

Archie Bradley moved to 6th(showcasing how he's untouchable in trade) Skaggs now ranks 14th.

In trying to look at Prospects on the rise with Buyers, Red Sox have:Bogaerts(4th),Bradley(21),Ranaudo(37),Cecchini(41)

Dodgers:Pederson(35th) And really no-one else stands to me as being trade bait for Milwaukee to look at acquiring.

The list does show the hauntings of 2011 Draft selections even moreso for pitching as Fernandez already in bigs, Alex Meyer(32nd),Taylor Guerrieri(29),Robert Stephenson(27),Kyle Crick(49) all were available to pick vs. selecting Jungmann/Bradley.

It was almost a cant miss 1st round Pitching draft and the Brewers missed on both selections with Henry Owens, Matt Barnes,Sonny Gray, Joe Ross, Andrew Chafin all looking to end up being very useful selections for their teams soon also selected after Bradley in the 1st round.

It's a thing of what if? Fernandez and any 1 of Guerrieri/Stephenson/Meyer/Ross selections could have the Brewers future looking?

It was almost a cant miss 1st round Pitching draft and the Brewers missed on both selections

While there are selections in hindsight that looks more attractive right now, it's still WAY WAY WAY to early to say they missed on both Jungmann and Bradley.

(And I'm kind of noticing how Dylan Bundy's name isn't mentioned here....)

Bundy was off the board by the time the Brewers made their selections As were, Hultzen,Bauer,Bradley and Cole.

Our Bradley at 23 in A+ ball is not only the old among all these promising pitchers but the furthest behind to even make the ML Team.

Jungmann does offer a silver lining, this is true, but it's in terms of a #3/4 SP whereas these others listed are #2s/3s. So the way I look at it, is Jungmann likely has a 4-6year career on the Team vs. having a Gallardo like 6+ with these other pitchers beyond 6year team control with an extension. Or, at the very least bringing back some kind of Prospects in replacement in trade. If Jungmann is a 4+ type pitcher he's certainly not going to leave with making the organization's future better when dealt in a trade.

Verified Member
Jungmann has a 1.156 WHIP at AA this season and was a consensus top-15 pick with former possible-first-overall-type talent. I think it's a little too soon to call that pick a mistake. He's going to be undervalued in rankings because those inevitably rely on shorthand markers and the fact is he's not a big strikeout pitcher. That doesn't mean he can't be a great pitcher.

Jungmann has a 1.156 WHIP at AA this season and was a consensus top-15 pick with former possible-first-overall-type talent.

Umm no. You may like the guy, but he was never the 1st overall in any projection from anyone that I saw. Not in 2010 as a college sophomore and not in 2011 as the draft was approaching.

He never had the secondary stuff to be drafted that high.

Draft report out of high school:

After leading Rogers to the Texas state 2-A championship in 2007, Jungmann transferred to Georgetown and has pitched his new school into the 5-A regional semifinals. Jungmann is an athletic 6-foot-5, 180-pounder who also was an all-district basketball forward at Rogers. There's a lot of projection left in his frame, and scouts expect his current 88-92 mph fastball to touch 95 mph in the future. While he has a loose arm, his mechanics will need ironing out before he can develop much in the way of secondary pitches or command. Jungmann isn't likely to get picked before the third round and may not be signable outside of the first, so he could wind up attending college at Texas.

Draft report out of college:

As a freshman in 2009, Jungmann won 11 games and pitched a complete-game five-hitter against Louisiana State in the College World Series finals. As a sophomore, he was the ace of a Texas staff that led NCAA Division I with a 2.45 ERA. Jungmann has taken another step this spring, leading all D-I pitchers with 12 victories and three shutouts and ranking second with a 0.95 ERA at the end of the regular season. He pitches at 91-93 mph and tops out at 95 with his fastball, and he has done a better job of using his 6-foot-6, 220-pound frame to command his heater down in the strike zone. He has improved the sharpness and command of his slider as well. His changeup is average at times but more of a work in progress, though he can get lefthanders out with the sink and life on his fastball. Jungmann excels under pressure--he's 6-0 in NCAA tournament play--and has demonstrated the ability to win without his best stuff. He has some effort and a short stride in his delivery, but he has cleaned it up since high school and it doesn't impede his ability to throw strikes.

This is how scouting reports for the #1 overall read, I blanked the pitcher's name because it doesn't matter:

...This spring, he has consistently shown the best pure stuff of any pitcher in this draft, and he has pounded the strike zone, though he struggled to command the inner half during a rough three-outing stretch in April, leading to a fairly pedestrian 5-7, 3.27 mark for the season. At his best, **** throws three pitches that rate 70 or better on the 20-80 scouting scale. His four-seam fastball sits in the 94-97 range and tops out at 99, and he shows a 92-93 two-seamer that scouts would like to see him use more. His power slider ranges from 86-90 mph with good depth, and he has developed his 85-87 changeup into a third plus to plus-plus pitch this year, though it had more tumbling action earlier than the year than it did down the stretch. In high school, some scouts were concerned about the effort in ****'s delivery, but he has smoothed it out; most scouts generally regard it as clean, repeatable and simple now. He has a physical, durable frame and a competitive but composed mound demeanor--another change from his prep days. Scouts think **** could rocket to the majors as a closer throwing 98-100 mph, but the consensus is that he has all the makings of a frontline starter.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Verified Member
Umm no. You may like the guy, but he was never the 1st overall in any projection from anyone that I saw. Not in 2010 as a college sophomore and not in 2011 as the draft was approaching.

I am 100% sure that in the first few months after the 2010 draft (and into that Winter, I believe), he was considered one of the main frontrunners to be the first overall pick in the following year's draft. Obviously he didn't take that step forward, from a scouting perspective, but that was the analysis at the time.

I am 100% sure that in the first few months after the 2010 draft (and into that Winter, I believe), he was considered one of the main frontrunners to be the first overall pick in the following year's draft. Obviously he didn't take that step forward, from a scouting perspective, but that was the analysis at the time.

Do you remember where you read it? Someone like Mayo perhaps? Because I never read that at PG or BA, he was getting top 5 talk but I didn't find any #1 talk in BA's archive. BA as a whole was certainly higher on Jungmann than I ever was but that seemed to be mostly on intangibles.

Feb 3rd, 2011.

This Year’s Draft Is Loaded

Rendon #1, Cole #2

Feb 3rd, 2011.

Early Draft Preview: The Top 50

Jungmann #6: Big-game pitcher has gone 6-0 in two years of NCAA tournament play.

Bradley #12: One AL scouting director says he’d take Bradley over any pitcher in this draft.

Jan 3rd, 2011

2011 College Top 100 Draft Prospects

Jungmann #4

Sep 17th, 2011

2011 Draft Chat: Sept. 17

One of the reasons I'm not big on Aaron Fitt's pitching assessments below.

Toby (Bronx): Are there any potential #1 starters in this crop?

Aaron Fitt: Toby, there are a few college arms with a legit chance. Gerrit Cole’s stuff is as loud as anybody’s in the big leagues — it’s in the Strasburg neighborhood. Now, the reason Strasburg

is special is because he has impeccable command to go with the stuff, and Cole isn’t there yet. But his command and feel for pitching has come

a long way, and there’s no question he has No. 1 starter upside, if he continues to develop at this rate. I’m also very high on TCU’s Matt Purke and Texas’ Taylor Jungmann—I’d feel pretty comfortable projecting

both those guys as No. 2 starters in the big leagues, with a chance to develop into No. 1s if everything breaks right.

Gary (Oakland): Can you rank Cole, Gray, Purke, and Jungmann?

John Manuel: I’ll go Cole, Purke, Jungmann and Gray. Nothing against Sonny, who’d rank first here if we’re measuring broken-down cars or Twitter accounts, but he’s 4-6 inches shorter than the rest of those guys.

Aaron Fitt just IM’d me that he has the same order, which I don’t think we planned, but we have discussed these things, so I’m not shocked we’re

on the same page.

Carlos (San Diego, CA): Would you dare predict a

top 5 or top 10 projection for the 2011 draft? Would you dare? Just because it's Friday in September.

Conor Glassey: A nice way to end the chat. I’ll put this out there with the caveat that this is my personal list and it’s early. Here goes…

Anthony Rendon, 3b, Rice

Gerrit Cole, rhp, UCLA

Matt Purke, lhp, Texas Christian

Taylor Jungmann, rhp, Texas

George Springer, of, Connecticut

Daniel Norris, lhp, Science Hill HS, Johnson City, Tenn.

Blake Swihart, c, Rio Rancho HS, Albuquerque, N.M.

Bubba Starling, of/rhp, Gardner-Edgerton HS, Gardner, Kan.

Matt Barnes, rhp, Connecticut

Sonny Gray, rhp, Vanderbilt

- Plato

- Plato

You HAVE to be thinking about Matt Purke before he went down with injury. There was a time when he was speculated to go over Rendon and Cole first overall.

I reviewed TONS of mocks before 2011 and NEVER saw Jungmann go first overall. I also was a huge Jungmann fan at Texas. To be clear I never saw many mocks that had Trevor Bauer first overall and he was the most hyped going into that draft and consistently ranked over Jungmann. Actually, most mocks had Jed Bradley over Jungmann going into that draft as well as he is a lefty.

Been Quiet the past 4-5 days on TradeRumors and Milwaukee. I don't really see much of interest being chimed in. I'm surprised KRod isn't getting more attention. 9-9 in save chances now.

Still listing Weeks and ARam as both the 2nd best at their position for Starters to acquire. But not seeing any team linked to pursuing them. I understand with ARam the injury and his money owed.

The biggest shame in all of this is that a healthy Corey Hart may have been the most coveted player in trade for the Yankees.

Still quiet for Aoki. Giants went out and signed Jeff Francouer as their OF solution.

Just anxious for this to heat up with rumors, and it was a week ago with LAD and 3b or Arz. and Gallardo. But both seem to have lost interest.

Where's a Lohse rumor?

I almost feel like Juan Francisco may turn out as the biggest player the Brewers trade for a return around the deadline if he keeps hitting well and ARam isn't able to be moved thus leaving him w/o a real position to call home for next year.

apparently the indians are considering top rotation arms, either Garza or Gallardo.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived