Brewer Fanatic

Sellers at the Trade Deadline [Designated 2013 General Brewers Trade Rumor/Idea Thread (please see post #162)]

Are you talking about the Mets trading for Gomez, cause that would be funny.

It would be, due to his history, but the Mets' front office has been quoted about wanting to build an outfield and even if he's traded in the off season he's still under contract for three years. Plus the Mets do like to spend, and maybe Alderson would want an early crack at extending Carlos.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you talking about the Mets trading for Gomez, cause that would be funny.

Why would it be funny? It would almost be perfect wouldn't it?

The Mets got Johan Santana at his prime.

Meanwhile Gomez stunk up the joint until showing glimpses end of 2011 and moreso throughout last season. And now he's at his prime age showcasing what his supposed high ceiling as a prospect was all about.

Trading for prime seasons over development seasons isn't a bad idea for a "Rich" Franchise.

If it's a Power/Speed combo they want, I don't know how many other OF fit it any better than Gomez currently.

I know the idea of extending Gomez makes a trade sound unlikely but when he's the quickest asset you likely have that could turn your franchise for the best the quickest?

Didn't someone say it's great to waste Braun's prime years? Adding a Zach Wheeler/Syndergaard could quickly turn us around by end of next season. Staying with Lohse, Wheeler and Peralta, hoping to get 1 of our SPs in the minors to be our 4th and Syndergaard joining the team this time of year next season? Just like that we're relevant again while having Segura/Braun/Lucroy. In fact, if the move is made you now look at keeping Aramis, or at least change your price higher if a team wants him.

But no, we'll go the other route, keep Gomez take on lesser prospects and build this up slowly, thinking the opportunity the Mets likely are presenting us will appear again if needed.

I don't think anyone doubts that adding wheeler and syndegaard would turn around the pitching staff. And I understand that the mets have said they'd be interested in adding an of (i did not know that when I made my previous post)....but don't present this as a scenario the mets are "likely" presenting. I am all for being proactive and appreciate you and others coming up woth trade scenarios. But the mets will not trade wheeler. He's likely a top 10 prospect making his very anticipated debut this week.

It isn't likely that the Mets are trading Zack Wheeler unless it is part of a deal for either Braun or Segura.

I'm not convinced as to how great Wheeler will be anyways, although it is hard to tell because pitcher's stats are inflated playing in Las Vegas.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Here's the thing about how great will Wheeler be, is how good is Gomez? He's arrived. 5tool player. Currently tied with Machado in WAR #1 position players. The Current Mets CF is just under 0WAR.

Gomez Defense will make the Met's staff better, he makes any staff better face it. So while the Mets have mostly a 0WAR staff, they likely jump 1WAR or better because of Gomez. He makes losing a future Ace worth it. Maybe everyone is right Wheeler won't be available, but if he's becoming less considered a top Ace like Harvey is today maybe it's better to get Syndergaard and Montero. And by not getting Wheeler there's more than likely another prospect, say Tapia thrown in the deal.

Between my ideas for KC and the Mets trade, I really feel the organization would quickly have a brighter future and Arms to expend!

Dodgers, Indians, Reds & Angels mentioned as teams that may want to upgrade 3B

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/last-place-milwaukee-brewers-could-trade-third-baseman-aramis-ramirez-053113

Gallardo mentioned in this article: "If the Brewers do decide to trade Gallardo, he will most likely be the best pitcher on the trade market." Here

http://sportsheaven.sportsblog.com/post/80842/five_players_who_are_likely.html

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

"If the Brewers do decide to trade Gallardo, he will most likely be the best pitcher on the trade market."

The more I see this kind of chatter, the more open I think I'd be to moving Yo. Maybe the Tigers wouldn't want to move Castellanos for Axford, but I wonder what they'd be willing to add to Castellanos for Gallardo plus Axford.

I'd attempt to sell high on anyone in the current bullpen, and definitely Figaro if there was interest. In fact, I'm not sure there's one player overall I wouldn't entertain the idea of moving. For any of Gomez/Segura/Braun, it'd take a really strong offer. But on anybody else, I'm all ears (including MiLB players). I think I'd keep the aforementioned trio, along with minor leaguers like Coulter, Taylor, & Arcia. But if adding someone like Hellweg (for example) into a deal meant a better return, I might be interested.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"If the Brewers do decide to trade Gallardo, he will most likely be the best pitcher on the trade market."

The more I see this kind of chatter, the more open I think I'd be to moving Yo. Maybe the Tigers wouldn't want to move Castellanos for Axford, but I wonder what they'd be willing to add to Castellanos for Gallardo plus Axford.

This seems more realistic to me, but I'd still hold off here. If we're going to trade Gallardo we need to get a potential frontline in return. The reality is that were priced out of the impact-free-agent-pitcher market and unless we come in the bottom five records it's WAY less probable to pull one in the middle of the draft in 2014.

Right now, I'd still hold Gallardo. It was a WAY easier decision to want to deal him before these last two starts, admittingly.

The way I see it is that we need to replace a lost ace. Gallardo is now a good #2 (as much as this pains me to say). I just don't see the channels to get a shot at a "Verlander" unless we use Gallardo to grab a "Stephenson" who could turn into one.

I love Castellanos but if I'm trading 2.5 years of Gallardo then I NEED a cheap controllable front line starting pitcher in return. I realize you could trade Castellanos for an elite pitching prospect so I guess getting the best value in return is what counts. I just remember the Rays got Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi for James Shields and Wade Davis so it seems like we should be getting back more in return.

@WiscoSportsNut

Oh definitely. That's why I want to hear what Detroit might be willing to offer in addition to Castellanos.

I put this in the other thread but a Haren like trade that the Dbacks did with the Angels would be something I could see Melvin doing this Porcello, Castellanos, and Jake Thompson for Gallardo and Axford.

From the above linked article:

The Baltimore Orioles have already been reported in saying that they are interesting in Gallardo. They say that Gallardo could fit well with them.

Gallardo and Weeks for Kevin Gausman (RHP) and Jonathan Schoop (2B). We pick up some of Weeks' remaining contract and maybe get another lesser prospect or two thrown in.

I just hope Gallardo can continue to pitch like he has the last couple of times out. He's done a lot to get his trade value back up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Baltimore has also been quoted stating that Bundy and Gausman were untouchable. I don't always buy into this, but I just don't see them trading two controllable players like that for a bad contract and a SP who before this week certainly seemed in decline.

Major-League-ready stud pitching prospects are out in my book. We need to look a level or two back. Think high-A.

Baltimore has also been quoted stating that Bundy and Gausman were untouchable. I don't always buy into this, but I just don't see them trading two controllable players like that for a bad contract and a SP who before this week certainly seemed in decline.

Major-League-ready stud pitching prospects are out in my book. We need to look a level or two back. Think high-A.

We could get some higher level pitching prospects, but not at the level of Gausman. That's just never gonna happen.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That's easy then... the Orioles don't get Gallardo and we let him pitch for us for the next few seasons, or we trade him to a team who will give us a good prospect, and not a Top 200 guy who's several years from making the majors if he ever makes it. We have plenty of average-ish prospects, so there's no reason to trade Gallardo unless you're getting a top guy in return.

Gallardo is a good pitcher with a couple of years of "team control" who is just entering his prime. If he is 100% (and it seems he's "regained" his velocity/form, so it's likely the early season troubles came from taking part in the WBC), then he is worth a lot in trade. For multiple years of a top-of-the-rotation starter with a price tag around 50-75% of what he'd get on the FA market, I would hold out for a very, very good prospect. If you can't get it, then hold onto Gallardo. We have leverage in that there is absolutely nothing wrong with going into next season with Gallardo at the top of our rotation. They're the ones who have to give to get.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That's easy then... the Orioles don't get Gallardo and we let him pitch for us for the next few seasons, or we trade him to a team who will give us a good prospect, and not a Top 200 guy who's several years from making the majors if he ever makes it. We have plenty of average-ish prospects, so there's no reason to trade Gallardo unless you're getting a top guy in return.

Gallardo is a good pitcher with a couple of years of "team control" who is just entering his prime. If he is 100% (and it seems he's "regained" his velocity/form, so it's likely the early season troubles came from taking part in the WBC), then he is worth a lot in trade. For multiple years of a top-of-the-rotation starter with a price tag around 50-75% of what he'd get on the FA market, I would hold out for a very, very good prospect. If you can't get it, then hold onto Gallardo. We have leverage in that there is absolutely nothing wrong with going into next season with Gallardo at the top of our rotation. They're the ones who have to give to get.

I agree with all of that 100% and that is very well put. The Brewers have all the leverage in any proposed trade of Gallardo. They don't have to trade him. Because of that, a team will need to overpay for him

As I recall, when I looked at Baltimore's prospects in high regards its Bundy,Gausman, and Schoop that's about it. The rest are what Weeks or even Yuni can fetch. It's why Baltimore can say we want a frontline starter after those 3 there's no concern on loss of talent. Anyone that sells their pitcher to them w/o gaining 1 if not 2 of those three are getting their a$$ handed to them.

Does anyone know anything about this site? The writer just seems to be looking at this year's stats to determine who the Brewers should trade for. Don't get me wrong I like the idea of moving Ramirez, Weeks, Hart, Gonzalez, Lohse, and KRod, and I'd add Axford and Henderson as well. I'm just not sure looking at one year's statistics, especially for guys who don't even rank in their organization's top 15, is a good way to evaluate prospects.

Does anyone know anything about this site? The writer just seems to be looking at this year's stats to determine who the Brewers should trade for. Don't get me wrong I like the idea of moving Ramirez, Weeks, Hart, Gonzalez, Lohse, and KRod, and I'd add Axford and Henderson as well. I'm just not sure looking at one year's statistics, especially for guys who don't even rank in their organization's top 15, is a good way to evaluate prospects.

Agreed. That article is pretty far off base as far as prospects go. It's pretty much impossible to predict trades though. Especially when prospects are involved. A better way to go about an article like that would be to key on which teams would be interested in which players, and then highlighting some of those teams top prospects. Just a way to look at some players the Brewers could potentially have a shot at.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Boston's super overachieving team is showing signs of crumbling. Would a ARam and/or Gallardo trade be worthwhile with them?

Everyone is high on Matt Barnes but he's certainly disappointing in AA. Cecchini could be the 3b of the future if Boston missteps and trades for this season.

I was really down on Boston(last place expectations in the East) and their hott start may make them short-sighted to compete this season when they really should be developing a core. The team is set-up to remain competitive if they just wait it out but again, do they feel the need to stick it to the Yankees and go for winning the Division over them/Baltimore?

What about taking Middlebrooks from them? I know he's struggling currently but if they take ARam and aren't willing to part with cecchini we still solve the 3b issue of ARam leaving? Middlebrooks was a 50ish rated prospect 2012 and may just be under too much pressure in Boston? Boston in that deal gets ARam for the 2 years it takes Cecchini to reach the team.

Boston's super overachieving team is showing signs of crumbling. Would a ARam and/or Gallardo trade be worthwhile with them?

Everyone is high on Matt Barnes but he's certainly disappointing in AA. Cecchini could be the 3b of the future if Boston missteps and trades for this season.

I was really down on Boston(last place expectations in the East) and their hott start may make them short-sighted to compete this season when they really should be developing a core. The team is set-up to remain competitive if they just wait it out but again, do they feel the need to stick it to the Yankees and go for winning the Division over them/Baltimore?

What about taking Middlebrooks from them? I know he's struggling currently but if they take ARam and aren't willing to part with cecchini we still solve the 3b issue of ARam leaving? Middlebrooks was a 50ish rated prospect 2012 and may just be under too much pressure in Boston? Boston in that deal gets ARam for the 2 years it takes Cecchini to reach the team.

Don't forget about Anthony Ranaudo. He's been pitching well this year and could be a #2/3 starter

Here's a blow it out of your league proposal suddenly.

Brewers Trade ARam to Toronto for Aaron Sanchez plus maybe someone else.

Lawrie has spent a few games at 2b in AAA. Not to mention he began with the Brewers at 2b. Currently Toronto is using Macier Izturis and Emilio Bonifacio as 2b/3b. Lawrie's return and move to 2b with ARam to 3b. Reyes off DL Toronto's lineup would just be amazing.

Considering Toronto's go after moves, this would potentially be reasonable to assume. I don't know where they get 1 more SP with the lack of success their staff has had overall but maybe they go in to it with we'll just pound out the other team's staff for more runs than what our guys give up attitude? Dickey/Buerle/Johnson all are above what is expected from them maybe they warm up more in the summer months.

Either way, if the idea of trading ARam to Toronto happens, who do you ask for in return? Just Sanchez? Sanchez plus who?

Toronto keeps winning. I'd work really hard to make a trade happen for Aaron Sanchez. Toronto also has a guy named Roberto Osuna that would be high upside SP to grab but he's a 3year away guy vs. 2 for Sanchez.

You wonder if Lohse/Gallardo could be a guy for them as certainly he must be better than putting Ramon Ortiz out there on the mound. They do lose Josh Johnson after this season and paired with Dickey/Buerle/Morrow they don't lose a step as having solid pitching rotation guys.

2 weeks ago it looked nothing like Toronto would be in the buyers market and strictly sellers(Johnson). But now? Like the moves they made this offseason, the AL East is for the taking right now and they are very much back in the mix. I'd go ahead send ARam and either Lohse or Gallardo to them with 10mil and take on both Sanchez/Ozuna and ask for another prospect or two maybe Sean Nolin since he's at least been brought up to pitch in the Majors giving Milwaukee a replacement in the near term immediately.

Archived