Brewer Fanatic

Sellers at the Trade Deadline [Designated 2013 General Brewers Trade Rumor/Idea Thread (please see post #162)]

I don't really have a problem with what you are saying other than the idea that Gomez, or any player with 3 more of years of contract time remaining or less is a "core" player. That's not the idea of a core player.

Core players are players that you can build around, signed to long-term contracts. Fielder was never a core player because he wouldn't sign into FA. Yes Gomez is playing very well but he's not a core player, he stunk when he could have been and now we have him for at most 3 more seasons before having to pay him market rates.

When will our pitching allow us to be competitive again? Not season? The season after? Schafer is a capable CF and he'll never hit like Gomez has this year, but he'll be league average..

We have a plethora of 1B and OF from AAA to MLB, if we're moving pieces we should trade from our position of strength. To get valuable pieces back we have to trade value: Gomez' value is at all time high, as is Aoki's, we need young impact pitching and those 2 guys seem the most likely options to acquire that talent as of today. Hart would have to come back and set the world on fire to have significant deadline value, his injury history will be a problem unless Melvin manages to start a bidding war for him.

I would love it some GM was dumb enough to give a starting pitching prospect with significant upside in AA for one of our relievers but I don't see it. We also have a plethora of relief candidates so I'd definitely take starting pitching prospects that were much farther away from MLB like in low A for any of our relievers, but that type of player wouldn't be much help for 3 years or so. It would definitely be a good organization move to acquire impact pitching but I think most people including DM and MA would be looking for more immediate help.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me to see some of our young OF depth packaged for some meaningless MLB piece. I just don't have the faith in the front office anymore and haven't for a long time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fine with bringing up Scooter but I can't imagine that any team is willing to pick up Weeks' salary next year.

I think we are stuck with him. Not without eating a significant portion from this year and next at least.

Well, 100Games of Weeks this season and 162 next season for 11.5mil can't be deemed too much imo. For a Playoff team he's an ultimate risk/reward for that price. And again, you never know what a change of scenery can end up doing for a player. A Change of Batting instructors...likely Better Paid for the Playoff team he'd be headed to so maybe better qualified to fix Weeks.

The Crew:

I can see your point on Gomez not being a "Core" Player but in what I'm seeing....A Fantastic Defensive CF with Building Power/Speed and all-out hustle. If you were building your team wouldn't that describe your Core CF? Limiting the idea a Core player has to be around beyond 3years from now and young. I don't get it. Gomez is definitely a Core Piece to building a Contending Baseball team. We can't give that up just because the outlook with this franchise today doesn't appear within 4years of contending.

What get's lost is that trading away a Lohse/ARam/Gallardo/Weeks frees up payroll to put towards the next 3years possibly. Nevermind the return those trades provide. And a top 5 draft pick 2014 just may turn out as the Bryce Harper/Mike Trout for Milw's 2016 in which now Gomez still remains.

All the OF prospects the Brewers have, none of them are in the top 100 Prospects list currently as you likely know. I think you have to keep Gomez now until any of those within our organization show up as being a reknowned top 75propect. Sending away a Core Piece player to replace with an Avg CF doesn't help the future. Unless, like I said Gomez returns 2 future Core Pieces or more in a trade. 1 for 1 doesn't work for me.

I also believe Gomez's performance this year is only raising his value and the value he has accumulated from last season to this season should have carry-over power for some time...meaning through to next trade deadline or even 2014 offseason. Selling him now, when maybe he keeps up this pace throughout the season would be selling too soon and we'd miss out on selling him at his highest. All his offseason work in the batting cage is obviously paying off and while everyone out there believes Gomez will come back down from his high perch...Well, none of us are Carlos Gomez. He may just believe he can not only maintain what he's done thus far, but keep improving and keep working on improving...That sounds like Gomez right? What if what Gomez had done thus far is what should be expected out of him? What if he can improve? After today's game his OPS is near 1.000! He's been gradually improving with time so I don't want to think this is flukey like Yuni's start to the season. His progression with his Defense, he may be every bit Braun's equal or better and with that mindset the return on trade should be approaching what a trade of Braun would net. That is future multiple All-Star or else you've undersold on him.

How many teams even have those trade pieces to begin with?

I have my doubts that Melvin will trade away anyone significant. This team can be 0-49 and Melvin would hesitate on trading guys like Ramirez or Lohse.

I do have to give him credit for getting good value from the Greinke trade but who's to say that he'll be as successful this time around?

Why wait til the Deadline to sell?

Because teams are more willing to buy when they know 1) that they are in contention in late July and b) what their needs are in late July. A team can think what their needs are in late May, but one or two injuries to key players in June can change that in a hurry.

I mentioned in the 5-year plan thread that IMO Braun is untouchable - the intangible value of associating Braun with the Brewers plus the tangible value of having him (merchandise sales, casual fans who go to games to see him, other things that produce revenue) offsets much of his contract. He is an incredible bargain.

The only other untouchable is Segura due to age, production, and premium position. A third guy who is not untouchable but a team would have to blow me away with an offer is Gomez. The reason is because the best thing you can do for mediocre and/or young inexperienced pitching is put a great defense behind them. With Braun, Segura, and Gomez you have guys who are above-average defensively at their respective positions. Those are the three you build around.

Definitely open to trading Gallardo. I'm concerned about a player who goes out until 2AM and gets blitzed during the season, and wonder if that is the reason for his regression.

A-Ram to the Dodgers is interesting. Gordon is hitting .175 and Sellers is hitting .191, so it wouldn't surprise me if they put Hanley back at SS and shop for a 3B. They need a closer too. A-Ram plus one of Henderson/Axford (maybe we can fool them into thinking K-Rod still has it) for one of Lee/Seager and two of Magill, Reed, Garcia, Stripling? Lee + Seager + Reed would be nice, but I'm not sure they would get it.

There's one problem with the idea of the Dodgers trading for ARam or trading to make the playoffs today is the fact they are only 1 game better than Milwaukee's standing at this point. They need a turnaround to even get to a point of trading in to a Playoff hunt. The problem rests in that Kemp (their core player) is vastly underachieving and Hanley's injuries and I'm left with an impression that they will be this year's Boston Red Sox of last season. Trouble will be brewing there everyone will be on the hotseat, looking over their shoulders. It's the price you pay for being in a big market.

The only other untouchable is Segura due to age, production, and premium position. A third guy who is not untouchable but a team would have to blow me away with an offer is Gomez. The reason is because the best thing you can do for mediocre and/or young inexperienced pitching is put a great defense behind them.

Completely disagree. Schafer is almost as good as Gomez defensively at a fraction of the price and we will have him for longer. We probably will not even have Gomez when we get good again.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Completely disagree. Schafer is almost as good as Gomez defensively at a fraction of the price and we will have him for longer. We probably will not even have Gomez when we get good again.

I'm not knocking Schafer's defense, but I think the separation may be more than you think. Gomez is currently among the MLB leaders in most sabremetrics measuring defense.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=24,d

That and he's signed thru 2016 at a reasonable price considering his defense props up whatever offensive struggles he may incur. I was against the extention, admittingly, but at this point this is looking like a genius move by Melvin.

I browsed throught Milb's top 100 prospect list and it's not good for Milwaukee's pickings.

First let's put the number of Teams that own top 50 prospects:

Texas:#1, 21 Baltimore:#2, 35

Stl:#3, 30 Tampa:#4, 40, 41, 42

Seattle:#5, 17, 22, 43 NYMets:#6, 7, 27

Pittsburgh:#8, 14 Arizona:#9, 23

Cinncy:#10, 46 Minn.:#11, 18, 38, 45

Miami:#12 Boston:#19, 29, 36

Detroit:#20 Clev.:#13, 16

ChiCubs:#15, 37, 39 Kan City.:#24, 31

Houston:#25, 28 Wash:#26, 47

Toronto:#32 Yankees:#33, 34

Oakland:#44 SanDiego:#49, 50

8teams without top 50:Milwaukee,Whitesox,Angels,Braves,Phillies,Rockies,Dodgers,Giants

The bottom 10 teams with Playoff Potential sits at: Miami,Houston,Milwaukee,Toronto,NyMets,Dodgers,Cubs,Mariners,Twins, and San Diego currently.

With the 7 teams w/o a top and the other 9teams out of the Playoff picture that Leaves 13teams to trade with: and Players:

Rangers: #1 Profar SS/2b #21 Mike Olt 3b

Baltimore:#2 Dylan Bundy SP #35 Kevin Gausman SP

St Louis:#3 Oscar Taveras OF #30 Carlos Martinez SP

Tampa Bay:#4 Wil Myers OF #40 Taylor Guerrieri SP #41 Jake Odorizzi SP #42 Chris Archer SP

Pittsburgh:#8 Gerrit Cole SP #14 Jamison Taillon SP #49 Alen Hanson SS

Arizona: #9 Tyler Skaggs SP #23 Archie Bradley OF

Cinncy:#10 Billy Hamilton OF/SS #46 Robert Stephenson SP

Cleveland:#13 Francisco Lindor SS #16 Trevor Bauer SP

Boston: #19 Xander Bogaerts SS #29 Jackie Bradley OF #36 Matt Barnes SP

Detroit: #20 Nick Castellanos OF

Kansas City:#24 Bubba Starling OF #31 Kyle Zimmer SP

Washington:#26 Anthony Rendon 3b #47 Brian Goodwin OF

Yankees: #33 Gary Sanchez C #34 Mason Williams OF

Oakland:#44 Addison Russell SS

So 30 of top 50 at Position:

SP-13

C-1

1b-0

2b-1/2*Profar 1/2

SS-5*Profar 1/2 Hamilton 1/2

3b-2

OF-8 1/2*Hamilton

So of need we're left with 13SP 2 3b. 15/top 50.

I think Gomez has more range than Schafer. In my 5-year plan I have Schafer/Kh. Davis platooning in RF and trading Aoki.

4 of the SPs are within Division so let's remove that. Let's also remove the idea of acquiring a top 5 prospect. That then leaves:

Tampa,Boston,Washington,Kansas City,Cleveland,Arizona,Baltimore,and Texas to acquire a top 50 prospect from.

Tampa is a small payroll franchise and with the most promising pitching to acquire they don't need ARam,Gomez with Myers they don't need Aoki. And they definitely need none of Gallardo/Lohse. So there goes that idea and 3 of the remaining 9SP

Washington too doesn't need a 3b/CF/RF and maybe Gallardo would intrique them but for Rendon? Doubtful w/o major improvement by Gallardo now til Deadline.

Cleveland Acquired Stubbs, signed Bourn/Swisher and has Brantley. So again no need for Aoki/Gomez. They have a hole at 3b but they also have a hole at SP so I don't see Bauer being traded away unless a SP is returned.

Arizona has the OFs, is getting production from 3b and aside from McCarthy has a solid SP core. With Skaggs to backup. ARam could be a fit but does Arz really give up Skaggs after giving up Bauer?

Baltimore What do they need? SP what are their prospects....SP Gausman just called up recently.

Texas Mike Olt. Has an eye problem recently discovered. Putrid batting before it. There's really nothing the Brewers have Texas could really want.

That leaves the one and only team to trade with Kansas City. They already made a push for the now with acquiring Shields giving up Myers. So why not sell off more?

Bubba Starling and Zimmer for Gomez? There's Yordana Ventura,Adalberto Mondesi,Cheslor Cuthbert to maybe attain for Gallardo? Or ARam. Heck they even have a need for Weeks at 2b. There's lots of trade possibilities with KC due to their needs. Hosmer/Moustakas continue to struggle which wasn't expected when they built the team around this year.

Let's go crazy here. Morris,ARam,Weeks,Aoki plus cash for Hosmer,Starling,Zimmer,Ventura,Mondesi,Cuthbert.

Say what you want about Morris but he's a year older than Hosmer. I'd rather build around Hosmer as 1b of future than Morris.

For KC Butler handles 1b. ARam DH's and plays 3b to rest Moustakas. Aoki supplants Francoeur and team control lessens sting of losing Starling. Weeks can DH/2b over Getz. and maybe Morris sees 1b/DH time down the stretch.

Brewers get 1b. Top notch OF. 2SPs of future worth. a SS/2b with Raul Mondesi Blood in him. And Cuthbert is 3b of future.

KC has 2 seasons of Playoff Runs before fading to the usual Small Market Losing Abyss.

I'm not knocking Schafer's defense, but I think the separation may be more than you think. Gomez is currently among the MLB leaders in most sabremetrics measuring defense.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=24,d

That and he's signed thru 2016 at a reasonable price considering his defense props up whatever offensive struggles he may incur. I was against the extention, admittingly, but at this point this is looking like a genius move by Melvin.

First off, that is an extremely small sample to use. I am not arguing Gomez isn't a fantastic defender. He is. However you need to take at least 3 full years of defensive metrics then probably regress it a bit to get a good feel for what a player can do. That still leaves Gomez as a very good defender. You can't just ignore last year where he posted a 6.9 UZR/150. He is probably around his career 15.5UZR/150 minus a little regression. If that leaves Gomez as a 14 UZR/150 defender I would put Schafer around 12UZR/150.(honestly I would probably cut the runs by half) Not a full win on defense and probably not even half a run on defense. We need to trade somebody if we expect to get better and a guy who has a pretty solid backup and hasn't killed much of his trade value is the perfect guy to trade. Schafer + prospects + money would probably help our team more than letting Schafer sit the bench while we pay Gomez.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Community Moderator
Let's go crazy here. Morris,ARam,Weeks,Aoki plus cash for Hosmer,Starling,Zimmer,Ventura,Mondesi,Cuthbert.

Mission accomplished! That deal is so crazy, even Dayton Moore thinks its insane. :)

I really like the passion, I just think it is lopsided well beyond any plausible exchange of talent. The collection of Brewers listed would have almost no value as a package. I think Ramirez could have some trade value but it is obviously hampered by his contract/age and Aoki has potentially marginal trade value. Weeks is on the wrong side of 30 and has an albatross contract. Hunter Morris doesn't have anywhere near the ceiling of Eric Hosmer, and Hosmer is a year younger than Morris.

As an aside, I would be surprised if the Royals were willing to trade Mondesi. By all accounts Adalberto has a full compliment of tools and is 17 years old playing A ball (Sally League). His offensive numbers aren't great this season, but he is playing against elder competition.

Texas Mike Olt. Has an eye problem recently discovered. Putrid batting before it.

I actually think scouts have been aware of Olt's vision problems since he was drafted. I realize he is seeking help now, but Kevin Goldstein addressed the issue of him having vision problems during a podcast back in 2010, I believe. Obviously things seem to be taking a turn for the worse now.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Mission accomplished! That deal is so crazy, even Dayton Moore thinks its insane. :)

I really like the passion, I just think it is lopsided well beyond any plausible exchange of talent. The collection of Brewers listed would have almost no value as a package. I think Ramirez could have some trade value but it is obviously hampered by his contract/age and Aoki has potentially marginal trade value. Weeks is on the wrong side of 30 and has an albatross contract. Hunter Morris doesn't have anywhere near the ceiling of Eric Hosmer, and Hosmer is a year younger than Morris.

As an aside, I would be surprised if the Royals were willing to trade Mondesi. By all accounts Adalberto has a full compliment of tools and is 17 years old playing A ball (Sally League). His offensive numbers aren't great this season, but he is playing against elder competition.

Texas Mike Olt. Has an eye problem recently discovered. Putrid batting before it.

I actually think scouts have been aware of Olt's vision problems since he was drafted. I realize he is seeking help now, but Kevin Goldstein addressed the issue of him having vision problems during a podcast back in 2010, I believe. Obviously things seem to be taking a turn for the worse now.

Well it's crazy or is it? If you trade away Myers/Odorizzi/Montgomery for 2years of Shields. The idea of Weeks/Ramirez fits that 2year window perfectly at positions KC is getting little production from. Hosmer went 19-14- and sits at 1HR. 9Xtra Base hits through 46games played. He's not getting it done. This is his 3rd season. Aram takes his place in the order at an immense improvement in production. I throw Morris in there just for the sake of having a 1b back up Butler. Leftys Morris with Power Hosmer isn't providing And will be Cheaper than Hosmer which with this deal they need one like that.

Aoki taking over Francoeur in RF who's stunk up the field for KC. Who do you want at RF? Under .240BA/.285OB or Aoki with a .295career BA/.362OB in that same time? With a 1.5mil option and then Arb process ensuing he adds to the cheaper option for the higher contracts coming in.

Getz for 2b is every bit as lousy as Weeks has been minus the Walks or the Power Upside. If the Brewers eat his money owed this season 11.5mil for 240+games owning Weeks with upside over Getz with Division Title in mind has to appear worthwhile. It's on them to sit Weeks enough to avoid the Option clause kicking in.

Kansas City Lineup after Deal:

Aoki~.307/.379/.418

Lorenzo Cain~.295/.362/.404

Alex Gordon~.338/.377/.502

Billy Butler~.262/.374/.402

Aramis Ramirez~.319/.397/.536

Salvador Perez~.311/.327/.411

Alcides Escobar~.254/.281/.333

Rickie Weeks~.179/.285/.278

Mike Moustakas~.178/.252/.308

Butler/Escobar/Weeks/Moustakas are all playing under expected lines so with improvement you can't tell me top to bottom that wouldn't be a scary lineup to have to get through.

It works if it's on a 2year "Go For It" Plan. Putting Aoki over Francoeur,Aramis over Hosmer,Weeks over Getz for batting production is quite the leap in production. KC fans have to be sick of watching Francoeur not even get on base to his Career BA. And Myers was there to replace him! I think Aoki returns a lot in value from KC due to what they get out of him vs what they are getting from Francoeur. And with minimal cost for Aoki It works for Small Market KC.

KC wasting Cleanup/5th with Hosmer's 1HR output on a Go For It team. ARam fits in amazingly. DH/3b with Moustakas' struggles. You want to sit Butler a game by DH'ing him? Morris slides in at 1b. Aram at 3b. Moustakas sits on bench. It's Brilliant! Really.

A side note:Hosmer just so happens to be represented by....Boras.

KC would still need a Pitcher I guess. I threw all those Prospect Names in the hat because I didn't think I could name off enough to cover what the Brewers were giving to KC. If KC is giving up to much then I'd lose Mondesi to keep the fill the needs of our team in the deal.

I'm okay with trading Gomez for a few different reasons.

First, I almost guarantee Gomez will be testing free agency next time. Obviously if he could do it over again, Boras would have done that this time. So we have Gomez for 3 years after this one and then he's gone. I don't see us competing in that time frame anyway.

Gomez should have tremendous value right now. A centerfielder with elite defense, speed, and power, who hits for average and power and is reasonably priced? Rare.

It would take 3 top 100 prospects for me to part with Gomez right now.

bcd80, I agree that we should look at who we could trade in order to help the future, but I disagree on the return.

So with reality setting in I hope this season is about done. I'm just going to say ARam/Lohse and their supposed high priced contracts should be shipped away ASAP. A SP and 3b combo has to be of value to some team with Playoff aspirations. Give me a 3B 1-2year away Prospect and a 1-4year away High Talent SP prospect in return. They can add a midling current SP on Roster as well that Lohse would be taking place of helping the 40man situation of that team.

Weeks, send him away once Gennett is no longer of Super 2 concern. Pick up much of the tab remaining this season let that team deal with next year's salary.

Same as Hart. Bringing up Morris in return.

Ramirez is signed to a heavily-backloaded deal, limiting his trade value. Then, he injured his knee this spring, was rushed back and re-injured it. Now, he's missed a month or so and still runs about half speed and has to take a couple days a week off. I can't imagine anyone would take the risk on him unless he proved he was 100%. I don't have inside info, but I think he's probably going to need surgery at some point, but he & the Brewers are trying to "play through it" so as not to miss this season. I don't think he's tradeable.

This offseason, teams weren't willing to give up a first rounder for Lohse, so if he's 100%, the best the Brewers could hope for would be less than the perceived value of a first round draft pick. Now, Lohse is sitting out with "elbow irritation." Other than "shoulder irritation," that's the biggest red flag a pitcher can have. Teams aren't going to trade for a pitcher with a huge injury concern. Like Ramirez, he would have to prove himself 100% healthy, and even then, the Brewers aren't getting much for him. Maybe a back-of-the-rotation AAA guy (which we have plenty of) or a decent upside A baller. I'd do the deal for the A-baller, but the Brewers won't.

Regarding Gennett/Weeks: First, I may be wrong, but I don't think Super 2 is a concern, as I believe that's only for the highest rated prospects. More importantly, no one is going to trade for Weeks and get stuck with that contract. With the way he's playing right now, we probably wouldn't get anything of value even if we picked up 100% of the contract. We're stuck with him - we need to play him regulary if we hope to have him regain some value, but if we play him regularly we risk having his option vest. If someone would take him in a salary dump, I'd do the deal in a second, but no one is going to do it.

Regarding the "supposed high priced contract" statement, they are eight figure salaries, and that is high priced, especially for the Brewers. Just because other players make more, doesn't mean the $30MM or so still owed to each of the players isn't a lot of money. These two players will combine for around 30% of the Brewers' 2014 payroll and are a big reason Melvin's "financial hands" will be tied at least until 2015.

FWIW the team had a lower salary for this season and picking up the tabs to net higher return cannot possibly hurt the ownership that much. I think Morris/Gennett will keep fans coming just on the excitement they are here.

The Brewers had a lower salary for this season, but then they signed Gomez and Lohse, putting their payroll at around $89MM. Yes, that's lower than the 2012 payroll which went overboard once K-Rod accepted arby, and it's lower than we will probably see in 2014 unless we can trade away some salary, but it's still relatively high for the Brewers. But, "eating" salaries wouldn't really affect this year to a great degree... it would be the next year or two where it would matter. It may make sense to "eat" salary if it would mean getting a good return for a player, but that would keep our hands tied next season. Plus, as mentioned above, the biggest concerns with Ramirez and Lohse right now are injuries, and Weeks isn't netting a return even if we eat the whole contract.

Gomez has turned to Core Player status and cannot be traded away unless he's seriously netting me Oh, let's say Seattle's Hultzen and Paxton. With Swapping Lucroy for Zunino. Gomez has become an All-Star and 24mil owed to him in the next 3years is a Cheap All-Star in his prime. He Blows away Revere and Span currently. So his return had better blow away what they returned!

I agree it would take a big return to trade Gomez, but he is one of the few players on the roster with some trade value right now. If we refuse to trade any of our tradeable players, then logic would dictate that we wouldn't trade anyone. I would guess it more likely that we'd trade Aoki over Gomez, but I think one of them should be traded this season, as they are both valueable trade chips, and we have MLB-ready replacements in the system.

If Gallardo is Coveted, then trade him. But the signs of his decline have me concerned that in truth he's injured and a Major Surgery is coming. Other GMs have to have that same concern and I'm thinking Gallardo isn't coveted right now.

Yes, Gallardo's loss of velocity is very concerning. If he finds his lost velocity, trading him could be a huge step in turning the franchise around, as I still believe that with similar "team control," a healthy 27-year-old Gallardo is worth as much as a 31-year-old Shields.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I would trade Braun before I would trade Gomez. Not that I think there's any team out there that has enough in return to get Braun, but I just don't see the point in dealing a guy like Gomez who's career is arcing upward, and who is such a decent value. Braun's contract is indeed reasonable but there's a decent probability that by the last couple years he won't be the player he's been and that cost will become a bit of a burden. It also concerns me that he misses time every season with a variety of injuries. If history tells us anything, it's that as guys like that get older, these will get more numerous.

I love what Aoki brings, but he's over 30 and now on a team apparently going nowhere. Leadoff skills like he has are invaluable to teams, and he should bring a very nice return given his contract situation too.

I'm thinking that Gallardo could be packaged with either Ramirez or Hart to Texas and get us a decent return. Gallardo is from Texas and the Rangers might feel like a chance of scenery could do Yo well. Plus being reunited wth Mike Maddux might help Gallardo with any mechanics issues that he has. A bat like Ramirez or Hart can always help a contending AL team
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm thinking that Gallardo could be packaged with either Ramirez or Hart to Texas and get us a decent return. Gallardo is from Texas and the Rangers might feel like a chance of scenery could do Yo well. Plus being reunited wth Mike Maddux might help Gallardo with any mechanics issues that he has. A bat like Ramirez or Hart can always help a contending AL team

The Rangers have Mitch Moreland (current OPS: .877) at 1B, Adrian Beltre (.833 w/top-tier defense) at 3B, and Lance Berkman (.834) at DH. Now, if Berkman can't stay off the DL (not unlikely), or Moreland hasn't actually taken a nice step forward as a hitter this season & regresses heavily (always possible), that could change. But for now, I don't see how either Aramis or Corey would make sense for them.

I think at this point, we have to root for Yovani to recover his form both for the sake of the Brewers' 2013 W-L record, and also for the good of the future of the franchise in terms of his potential trade value.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would trade Braun before I would trade Gomez. Not that I think there's any team out there that has enough in return to get Braun, but I just don't see the point in dealing a guy like Gomez who's career is arcing upward, and who is such a decent value. Braun's contract is indeed reasonable but there's a decent probability that by the last couple years he won't be the player he's been and that cost will become a bit of a burden. It also concerns me that he misses time every season with a variety of injuries. If history tells us anything, it's that as guys like that get older, these will get more numerous.

I love what Aoki brings, but he's over 30 and now on a team apparently going nowhere. Leadoff skills like he has are invaluable to teams, and he should bring a very nice return given his contract situation too.

Because Gomez is with us for 3 years after this one, no more. He'll have one chance to test free agency and Boras will ensure he doesn't pass up on it this time. We are not set up to be a contender in the next 3 years anyway. And he's really, really valuable.

I don't disagree with you about trading Braun though, especially when you'll never get more for him, he'll bring a mammoth return and he's probably going to be 35 by the time the Brewers are legitimate contenders again.

People just automatically reject the thought of trading Braun because he's, well, the face of the franchise. So it would definitely be a big turning point for this franchise, and a risk. But a lot of that thought was the idea that we would continue to be contenders, or at least in barking range of contention, and that just doesn't look plausible now. Besides, why would Braun want to start over for a rebuilding Brewer team at this point in his career? He won't. He'll be ready to go to a contender.

The Rangers have Mitch Moreland (current OPS: .877) at 1B, Adrian Beltre (.833 w/top-tier defense) at 3B, and Lance Berkman (.834) at DH. Now, if Berkman can't stay off the DL (not unlikely), or Moreland hasn't actually taken a nice step forward as a hitter this season & regresses heavily (always possible), that could change. But for now, I don't see how either Aramis or Corey would make sense for them.

I think at this point, we have to root for Yovani to recover his form both for the sake of the Brewers' 2013 W-L record, and also for the good of the future of the franchise in terms of his potential trade value.

Not to mention some guys named Olt and Profar who are blocked and awaiting their turn in the bigs. Profar is up right now because Kinsler is on the DL but I doubt he stays up once Kinsler returns. Texas is a not a fit for Milwaukee this season... last season yes, this season no. Also I know Olt has been awful this year, but he'll be fine long-term.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

i would trade Gomez and Gallardo...

Gomez value will not get higher---right now people think the sky is the limit on his ability. They are wrong---once he establishes his "new" baseline stats, his value will go down...also, Gomez is the most likely on the team to suffer a catastrophic collapse---which is another reason he should be traded

Gallardo should be flipped at the deadline---hopefully he nets us a couple 50-100 type prospects

Aoki should be traded because his advanced age suggests he won't be the same player in 3-4 years when this team is ready to roll, likewise, I think having him under control for half a decade gives him really nice value. He's one of the top lead off guys in the NL...He's no Choo, but he's up there...

Aram does have value, but he's kind of expensive and old...i wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged with Yo...

Honestly, I can see the team trading Aram and Yo at the deadline and a bucket of relievers... Anything beyond that, especially involving the hitters, will likely be after the season

I slightly disagree that the value for Gomez won't be higher than now. I think he will continue to have a solid year and his value will be highest after the season when he has proven himself for the whole year. At that point I think the Brewers management and owners will be real reluctant to trade him after the poor season the Brewers likely will have. Basically, I wouldn't necessarily mind them trading him but doubt they will be able to pull the trigger.

People just automatically reject the thought of trading Braun because he's, well, the face of the franchise. So it would definitely be a big turning point for this franchise, and a risk. But a lot of that thought was the idea that we would continue to be contenders, or at least in barking range of contention, and that just doesn't look plausible now. Besides, why would Braun want to start over for a rebuilding Brewer team at this point in his career? He won't. He'll be ready to go to a contender.

I may be wrong but Braun seems to be the type of player who understands his legacy in the game a lot more than most. His legacy in Milwaukee could either be that of Robin Yount, a beloved Brewer lifer, of Paul Molitor, a Brewer who unceremoniously left and has had a rocky relationship with the City since his departure, or of Prince Fielder, someone who chased the highest dollar amount. Everything I have seen indicates to me that Braun wants to be Yount and, to me, would not have signed the second contract extension had he not wanted to be this guy.

Just my opinion.

I'm one of those who automatically rejects trading Braun because he is the face of the franchise. I just don't see Mark A. approving that trade as Braun is the type of guy that could generate money for him well after Braun is retired. The 1982 Brewers have been milked to death for 30 years and they will do the same with Braun since Fielder left. It would also kill attendance short term and in the end just a bad business decision. 111 million for ages 32-37 scare me a bit but even then he will still be selling tickets and merchandise. Even with the long term deal he has currently they will probably end up extending him again so that he gets 3000 hits as a Brewer.

Trading anyone and everyone needs to be on the table right now. As it relates to braun though, given all the circumstances, one team just couldnt give us enough to justify trading him, at least when you consider the goodwill he brings to the team, his future performance and milestones, etc. etc.

Archived