Brewer Fanatic

Sellers at the Trade Deadline [Designated 2013 General Brewers Trade Rumor/Idea Thread (please see post #162)]

If the Brewers management and scouting department were actually competent they'd be no need for constant rebuilds. They could sustain success, not necessarily playoff appearance every year, but success year in and year out. There wouldn't be one awesome team followed by four years of regression. People can blame Mark A all they want but I think Melvin and his scouts are at least as responsible, if not more. Melvin has been around 11 seasons now and he STILL has not developed a successful homegrown starting pitcher yet. That's absolutely pathetic. Then in a year when his team has the 4th worst record in all of baseball he trades......one reliever? He's likely going to throw out a 2014 lineup that will consist of 5 players aged 30 or older, two of whom are coming off a fairly substantial injuries (Hart and Ramirez), one who is coming off a 65 game suspension and one (Weeks) who is very clearly on the downside of his career. I'm sorry but I see absolutely nothing about this organization to be hopeful about.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aoki and one of Lohse/Gomez should be traded(I would say both actually). We will not be good while we have either Lohse or Gomez unless we can get a good pitcher who will be on the MLB team by 2014. I think Lohse and Gomez are our best bet to do that. I would trade both since I think Schafer could capably fill in for Gomez and I thin Lohse is going to look worse in the next couple years. I would easily pick up half of Lohse salary to get a goo d enough player back. The money isn't as big a deal as the talent.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Aoki and one of Lohse/Gomez should be traded(I would say both actually). We will not be good while we have either Lohse or Gomez unless we can get a good pitcher who will be on the MLB team by 2014. I think Lohse and Gomez are our best bet to do that. I would trade both since I think Schafer could capably fill in for Gomez and I thin Lohse is going to look worse in the next couple years. I would easily pick up half of Lohse salary to get a goo d enough player back. The money isn't as big a deal as the talent.

While I agree that trading Gomez would be the most prudent move long term, let's get real here. It really depends on what your definition of "capably fill in" is. If Schafer was someone we traded for and wasn't drafted and developed by the Brewers, people on here most likely would have been dismissing this guy for years and questioning his spot on the 40 man. The realist in anyone knows he's probably at best a 5th and maybe a 4th outfielder on a good team. Good glove, little bit of speed, sure. Problem is, the simple eye test tells me he's a sub .700 OPS guy at this level. Schafer through a rebuild is fine, anything beyond that and he's the weak link on your roster.

He can come close to matching Gomez on defense. I don't think Gomez can keep hitting like he has this year and Schafer can hit better than he has this year. Small drop in overall production which can be made up in another area where we really need it like starting pitching.

I blame Wang.

Gomez is every bit as valuable as a top-flight SP, and position players generally fluctuate less in performance. He has been one of the very best position players in the league this year, and it isn't like he's hitting a freak .350 or something to do it. I like Schafer, and I still think he'll get near a .750 OPS at his peak, but the dropoff from Gomez to him is considerable. Filling cf with Schafer is no better than having Marco Estrada in your rotation (which I'm not saying is awful). Gomez is relatively young, he's relatively cheap, and he has a broad skill set. It would be very hard to get value in a trade for him.

Well sure if you think Gomez is anywhere near as good going forward as he has been this year. I am not convinced he can keep it up. I think he will be around an .800OPS guy not .900 OPS like he is close to this year. It is a small drop from .800 to .750. That is a very very small drop compared to taking replacing our worst starter with a good starting pitcher. If we can get a #1 or #2 for Gomez we should 100% do it.

I blame Wang.

Well sure if you think Gomez is anywhere near as good going forward as he has been this year. I am not convinced he can keep it up. I think he will be around an .800OPS guy not .900 OPS like he is close to this year. It is a small drop from .800 to .750. That is a very very small drop compared to taking replacing our worst starter with a good starting pitcher. If we can get a #1 or #2 for Gomez we should 100% do it.

Where did you get .750 from? It is every bit as assumptive that Schafer is a .750 guy as it is Gomez not being a .900 guy. While I tend to side with you on Gomez not being .900, I think you'd find a short list of baseball folks that think Schafer is anything more than .700. To me, his absolute ceiling is Aoki's performance this year, which isn't at the .750 you seem to think he can be.

Where did you get .750 from? It is every bit as assumptive that Schafer is a .750 guy as it is Gomez not being a .900 guy. While I tend to side with you on Gomez not being .900, I think you'd find a short list of baseball folks that think Schafer is anything more than .700. To me, his absolute ceiling is Aoki's performance this year, which isn't at the .750 you seem to think he can be.

Read the post above mine. I don't think .750 is to far out of line. Probably a bit on the high side but not much. It doesn't make sense to hold onto Gomez unless we can improve the team in some other way. He is a very good trading chip with an at least league average guy behind him. To me that is the perfect guy to trade.

I blame Wang.

Archived