Brewer Fanatic

The Ron Roenicke Thread

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that certainly makes me question Roenicke's competence is how he can be getting so little out of what he has to work with. I can't imagine that any manager in baseball is getting less out of the overall talent that he has.

This team has some really, really good players. One could easily argue that they have 3 elite players in the lineup at their respective positions. If Braun, Gomez, and Segura arent the best players at their respective positions, they're certainly close.

I realize the pitching has killed them, but even there, they added a Cy Young candidate at the top to pair with a still young all-star caliber starter.

It's not like he is being asked to work miracles with John Jaha and Cal Eldred as his best players. Don't think he's being asked to squeeze blood out of stones. He's not. Look at some of the horrid Brewers rosters from the late 90's and early 2000's, then look at this one. It's flabbergasting that this one right now is heading down the same road record-wise and sitting at 19-30.

RRR isn't saddled with anything, we are saddled with him.

Any manager could have won with that 2011 team, most managers would have won more than he did.

What we are seeing from him now, with this team are his true colors.

He is a horrible manager in every aspect of the game. I know a lot of you like the guy, but he has run his course, time for some new blood, and when he goes, I hope he takes Melvin with him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator
One thing that certainly makes me question Roenicke's competence is how he can be getting so little out of what he has to work with. I can't imagine that any manager in baseball is getting less out of the overall talent that he has.

This team has some really, really good players. One could easily argue that they have 3 elite players in the lineup at their respective positions. If Braun, Gomez, and Segura arent the best players at their respective positions, they're certainly close.

I realize the pitching has killed them, but even there, they added a Cy Young candidate at the top to pair with a still young all-star caliber starter.

In your first paragraph you bemoan that Roenicke is "getting so little out of what he has to work with." Then in your second paragraph you mention Gomez and Segura, two players nobody expected to be performing at the high levels they are currently performing at.

If Roenicke is to blame for every player underperforming on the roster then shouldn't he likewise get credit for Gomez and Segura who have wildly exceeded any realistic preseason expectations?

Not whatsoever, for several different reasons.

#1, player development is much more a product of the coaching staff than the manager himself. I don't credit Roenicke for the performances of Segura and Gomez any more than I don't blame him for the shortcomings of Lucroy and Weeks.

#2, Segura and Gomez are plenty talented enough to be doing what they're doing. I realize that it's exceeding expectations, but these are tremendously talented players. This isn't a couple Casey McGehees performing way over their heads.

#3, we are 19-30. What difference does it make if everyone is hitting .320, if we are 19-30. I would be much more supportive of Roenicke if he had no talent to work with and Nori Aoki was his best offensive player. There's plenty of talent, some tremendous individual performances, and yet our bottom line is still 19-30. And I should commend Roenicke for that because we've got some great players despite our horrible record?

Who is this Cy Young candidate they added? I hope you don't mean Lohse because that would just be silly.

Look this team was just barely a .500 team this off season before adding Lohse and probably closer to a sub .500 team. After adding Lohse not much changed. Withe Gallardo regressing this much this season you get a really bad team as there is no elite level pitching in the rotation. I expect Peralta to pitch better as the year goes on but that wont be enough to move the needle past a sub .500 team. Gallardo needs to pitch like he was in 2011 for this team to even have a better record. I am sorry but this rotation is rather bad especially with Gallardo performing like he is.

Who is this Cy Young candidate they added? I hope you don't mean Lohse because that would just be silly.

Look this team was just barely a .500 team this off season before adding Lohse and probably closer to a sub .500 team. After adding Lohse not much changed. Withe Gallardo regressing this much this season you get a really bad team as there is no elite level pitching in the rotation. I expect Peralta to pitch better as the year goes on but that wont be enough to move the needle past a sub .500 team. Gallardo needs to pitch like he was in 2011 for this team to even have a better record. I am sorry but this rotation is rather bad especially with Gallardo performing like he is.

No, it's a fact, at least if you go by the Cy Young voting last year, in which he was 7th in voting.

The point is that he wasn't a Jeff Suppan addition. And the rotation certainly should be better. They've had worse ones in 2010, 2011.

Of course now that we have two months of results, everyone says the rotation is garbage but no one seemed to think so when Lohse was added. Even if they didn't like the signing, which I really didn't myself. It's pointless now, just wasted money on a team that isn't contending anyway.

"The owner signed free agent pitcher Kyle Lohse for $33 million over three years practically on the eve of the season over the objections of his general manager Doug Melvin"

I'd heard rumors that Attanasio was behind the Lohse signing, but nothing stating that Melvin objected and Attanasio did the deal anyway. I've said before, if the problem is Melvin, it's an easy fix. If it's Attanasio, we have to hope he learns that a team in Milwaukee cannot be run like the Yankees.

We do know Boras talked to Attanasio for several months prior on Lohse. He wouldn't have wasted his time if he didn't think Attanasio could and would override Melvin. He was right. Attanasio makes the big decisions. That is clear.

Archived