Brewer Fanatic

The call up Scooter Gennett thread

Bombers
Rickie's complete loss of speed since a couple years ago really is rather incredibly. He sure isn't getting to many infield hits any more.

and that's why they become hits.

and he's not getting too many infield hits anymore, either.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In fairness, Weeks was never good up the middle. His poor range, bad instincts (notice how this year there's been probably 5 balls hit with 10 feet of him that he didn't flinch for), and inaccurate arm have all been problems. He's also pretty bad at covering first on bunts. Still, his offensive potential is why he's in the lineup.

He's never been very natural at 2B*, but his arm hasn't been an issue for a long time now.

* What was the rationale for trying to convert him from CF to 2B out of the draft? It's not like he wouldn't have provided a lot of offensive value as a CF.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He's never been very natural at 2B*, but his arm hasn't been an issue for a long time now.

* What was the rationale for trying to convert him from CF to 2B out of the draft? It's not like he wouldn't have provided a lot of offensive value as a CF.

[sarcasm]He was blocked by Scott Podsednik and Dave Krynzel.[/sarcasm]

In another thread someone mentioned an additional reason for benching Weeks is to reduce the chances of him meeting his contract clause that guarantees his 2015 salary. This is the best reason I've seen yet for calling up Gennett. The Brewers will have to (should) release one of Gonzalez/Yuni (hopefully the former) when Hart comes back, so why not release that person now and give Gennett a 2-3 week trial to see what he has? Play the matchup game, most pitchers are RH so Gennett will get most of the starts. I don't think Gennett will be anything special, but he can't be worse than Gonzalez right now.

[sarcasm]He was blocked by Scott Podsednik and Dave Krynzel.[/sarcasm]

In another thread someone mentioned an additional reason for benching Weeks is to reduce the chances of him meeting his contract clause that guarantees his 2015 salary. This is the best reason I've seen yet for calling up Gennett. The Brewers will have to (should) release one of Gonzalez/Yuni (hopefully the former) when Hart comes back, so why not release that person now and give Gennett a 2-3 week trial to see what he has? Play the matchup game, most pitchers are RH so Gennett will get most of the starts. I don't think Gennett will be anything special, but he can't be worse than Gonzalez right now.

no need to release anyone right now.. and the issue potentially could be that IF gennett goes well for 2 -3 weeks until Hart returns, how do you justify sending him back down to AAA? Now he's on the MLB roster in May, and his Arb clock begins. Theres a reason why teams wait until late June to bring up top AAA players, its to avoid the whole Super 2 status in arbitration.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Does anyone really believe that sitting a guy for a game (or two or five) will help him play better? Like it's the magical fix for a guy who's struggled for the majority of the last season and a half?

Play Bianchi. At this point it doesn't really matter outside of the fact that we really don't want Weeks to get enough PAs for his option to kick in.

Why should I believe Bianchi can even match offensively Weeks' 2012 season?

Does anyone really believe that sitting a guy for a game (or two or five) will help him play better? Like it's the magical fix for a guy who's struggled for the majority of the last season and a half?

Play Bianchi. At this point it doesn't really matter outside of the fact that we really don't want Weeks to get enough PAs for his option to kick in.

Well Weeks had a bad year in 2012 except for a couple of months so that is not saying much but it doesn't really matter anyway. Bianchi would exceed Weeks 2013 season and any future season Weeks has and any season Weeks had on defense. Bianchi has a role on this team in the future and Weeks does not so there is no real reason to play him anymore unless Melvin thinks he will get hot during a small stretch and have an opportunity to trade him.

Well Weeks had a bad year in 2012 except for a couple of months so that is not saying much but it doesn't really matter anyway. Bianchi would exceed Weeks 2013 season and any future season Weeks has and any season Weeks had on defense. Bianchi has a role on this team in the future and Weeks does not so there is no real reason to play him anymore unless Melvin thinks he will get hot during a small stretch and have an opportunity to trade him.

1. We should not consider the portions of Weeks' 2012 season in which he played well because it was "only for a couple of months". Therefore, his overall line for that season is misleadingly high. Got it.

2. Bianchi will be better in 2013 than Weeks and every subsequent season because he will be. Got it.

3. Weeks is obviously done but maybe if he plays good for a small stretch, Melvin thinks he might be able to trick another team into thinking Weeks is not done, even though it is obvious to everyone he is done. Got it.

I literally can't argue against that kind of logic.

Truth Time:

Logically, I know that Rickie Weeks, even in current state is a better player than Bianchi...I also know that Weeks is a very streaky player and that he certainly hasn't totally lost it

Emotionally, the team is 10 feet under water and Weeks is screaming "Dive, Dive, Dive" at the top of his lungs. I want ANYONE but him playing second just because it makes the part of me that enjoys watching grown men play a child's sport happy.

So, as it sits right now, I want Bianchi to play everyday...If the team starts winning games, then I probably won't notice if Weeks comes back in.

Pogokat, that's exactly right. When a team gets pushed around this badly for most of a month, FIRE EVERYBODY threads and comments pop up everywhere.

It's not like there aren't plenty of changes that might help this club, but each negative is magnified right now.

"Should Weeks be replaced in the lineup?" is really the question at this point; the decision on whether or not to recall Gennett should be based on Gennett, not Weeks.

If the team thinks Gennett is the future at second base, then they need to promote Gennett when it's the best thing for Gennett. If that's today, fine, if it's not, then it's not.

can i just point out that Scooter has been on base in every game but two this season, 39 of 41 games so far. either a hit or he's walked. one of those two games he had a sac hit... so yeah. kid is doing a great job finding his way on base!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

1. We should not consider the portions of Weeks' 2012 season in which he played well because it was "only for a couple of months". Therefore, his overall line for that season is misleadingly high. Got it.

2. Bianchi will be better in 2013 than Weeks and every subsequent season because he will be. Got it.

3. Weeks is obviously done but maybe if he plays good for a small stretch, Melvin thinks he might be able to trick another team into thinking Weeks is not done, even though it is obvious to everyone he is done. Got it.

I literally can't argue against that kind of logic.

Must you be so condescending to other posters with every post you make?

Man, if everyone is so beneath you, why do you even bother to read the forums?

Jeeeeesh.

Other people have opinions, yours is not the only correct one, or the only one that matters.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Tweet from@AdamMcCalvy:

what's Weeks at with RISP you ask?

weeks is 3-for-40, 15k overall;

0-for-20, 10k w/ 2 outs and RISP

Whoohoo - sounds like a guy I would keep trotting out there

Rickie has the 6th best obp on the team. that fact it's a horrible .280 is a reflection on a team that is crappy offensively. I am tired of hearing Joe block and Uek talking about "5 .300 hitters on the team". It's a crappy offense, and Rickie isn't the worst part of it, but he is part of the problem.

LuCroy has a .280 obp. YuniB and Gonzalex and Maldanodo are horrible. RRR doesn't play anybody else enough to see if they can help with the bat.

Who else is Roenicke supposed to be playing that he's not? The entire starting OF is hitting well over .300, so Schafer won't get major PT unless there's an injury. Every other hitter on the roster is either a C or an IF, and beyond Ramirez & Segura, they're all getting PT -- including Bianchi -- and it doesn't matter because they're not doing well enough at all.

There are 13 pitchers on the roster since Lalli was sent down. The other players on the roster are Weeks, Yuni B., Gonzalez, Bianchi, Lucroy, & Maldonado. The results they're getting for the most part make you want them not to play . . . Which brings me back to the original question, who else is Roenicke supposed to be playing but to whom he's not giving enough of a chance?

On a sort-of related note, should we maybe be hoping that Detroit's starting 2B misses major PT and their utility guys stink? I mention it because wouldn't you think Fielder might advocate that the Tigers look to make a trade for Weeks? They could afford him & might give up something halfway reasonable in return. Heck, they traded for Delmon Young when he was having a pretty lousy year, and he had several clutch postseason hits for 'em. Rickie -- struggles and all -- has a far, far better combination of track record & character than Delmon Young.

Rickie has the 6th best obp on the team. that fact it's a horrible .280 is a reflection on a team that is crappy offensively. I am tired of hearing Joe block and Uek talking about "5 .300 hitters on the team". It's a crappy offense, and Rickie isn't the worst part of it, but he is part of the problem.

LuCroy has a .280 obp. YuniB and Gonzalex and Maldanodo are horrible. RRR doesn't play anybody else enough to see if they can help with the bat.

As players worse than Weeks you named two catchers (who play the most difficult defensive position on the field and a position at which you are lucky to get good production) and two players (Yuni B and Alex Gonzalez) who should not be starting at all.

In my opinion, Weeks needs to sit for a good long time. His alternative may not hit better than him but I guarantee that either Bianchi or Gennett will field better than Weeks does.

Hi everyone...lifelong Brewers fan here ..I now live in Altamonte Springs, Fl. I know of Week's family and my friend even coached him in JV ball here.

I have a mlbtv account and have seen probably 90-95 percent of all Week's games in his career.

I have seen him at his best and remember Vince Scully, he of the matter-of-fact delivery, even gush about Ricky's bat speed.

All this being said, Ricky has no bigger fan than myself.

At this point, even I desire to see Bianchi in the lineup daily. Seeing Ricky yell in disgust yesterday, I just felt badly for him.

RR please do him and all of us a favor. Give him a much needed long vacation.

• 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weeks
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived