Brewer Fanatic

The call up Scooter Gennett thread

Bombers
Now let's look at the month of May.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4200/weeksmay1stmay19th2013.png

Since May 1st, Rickie Weeks has a .189 SLG, and a .447 OPS. :laughing

There is no reason....NONE...to keep him in the lineup right now.

There are plenty of reasons, which is exactly why he is still in the lineup. Weeks has had prolonged success in the past, Bianchi is just a guy and Gennett does not project to be ready. Pretty darn simple.

There is no Brewer fan who is not frustrated by Weeks' production this year some really do appreciate why he is still getting the majority of starts at 2B.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Morgan had prolonged success in the past, too. Should we sign him and put him in there?

What a player did in the past is irrelevant. Players change over time. Weeks is no longer the player he was even two years ago. He is bigger, less agile, and a far less effective hitter. He has lost his power. He is striking out an an alarming rate, and he is slacking in the field.

Bianchi is "just a guy", but in 14 at bats, he's got 3 RBI, which is 2 more than Weeks has in 55 at bats. And he's a defensive improvement over Weeks.

Rickie being pretty much untouchable is absurd. Sit him, and give somebody else a shot. Bianchi cannot be any worse than Weeks, and he might just represent an improvement. Rickie is not even playing at a Major League level.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Weeks hasn't just lost power, but he has lost speed as well. I do want to say that Weeks is more than capable of hitting the home runs and driving the ball, not as much as a couple years ago, but you get the point. However, he can't do that if he can't make contact with the ball and continues to strike out at this enormous rate. I would be more hopeful and call this a slump if he was making some contact, but he can't even do that. I believe he's done unless he makes a huge mechanical adjustment, and he needs the minor leagues to be able to make that adjustment.

For Rickie's careers sake he needs to accept an assignment in the minors.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Weeks hasn't lost any noticeable amount of speed over the past two or three seasons; his loss of impact speed happened years ago.

Bianchi should definitely be starting over him more, but neither Betancourt nor González is a better choice than Rickie at this point. However, Roenicke has completely mismanaged Weeks through the start of this season -- Rickie should've seen the pine a lot more thus far. He's clearly not playing his way through the slump, and Ron has been far too patient.

There's literally no point in sending him to the minors. He's completely experienced with/adjusted to the MLB game, and he'll either recover the ability to hit at the MLB level or he won't. I honestly wouldn't feel any better or worse about him if he went to AAA and OPS'd 1.000 or .500. He doesn't need to be playing every day against AAA competition like a young player like Krush Davis... but he needs to not have a near-infinte leash. Until Rickie demonstrates that he has the swing-accuracy to hit at the MLB level, imo Bianchi should continue to start ahead of him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rickie Weeks: The Bill Hall Saga Part 2

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Too many people are living in the past regarding Weeks. They remember how good he was and keep up bringing up past success, but that isn't who he is anymore. It was hard for me too, accepting the fact that he is not a good player anymore but that is where we are at now. I'm not mad at him or anything because it happens to every player in every sport, probably more frustrated with the manager/gm that they keep on playing him. When taking into consideration his defense, which may be getting worse, there are very few option that are worse than Weeks. Bianchi might be the better option because he is a guy that will likely be on the team for a number of years and Weeks time here is almost over.

In the 2nd half of 2012 Weeks hit 13 HR's in 75 games with a .261 BA and .800 OPS (8 HR's in the month of Sept). That wasn't exactly ancient history and I'm sure Roenicke has that in mind with giving Weeks more time to get it sorted out.

That said I would still give Bianchi a few starts a week vs the tougher RHP

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That's really what this situation is starting to remind me of, too. Of course Bill Hall actually got benched at a certain point.

Huge difference being Weeks has actually had success in more than a couple seasons.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Another thing about Weeks is what we, the fans, don't see behind the scenes. By all accounts Weeks is a tireless worker, putting in long hours trying to get back on track, day after day without complaint. I think Roenicke sees that and knows how well Rickie did in the 2nd half of last year and is giving him time.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That's really what this situation is starting to remind me of, too. Of course Bill Hall actually got benched at a certain point.

will history repeat itself, or will the sequel have an unexpected twist? stay tuned

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Another thing about Weeks is what we, the fans, don't see behind the scenes. By all accounts Weeks is a tireless worker, putting in long hours trying to get back on track, day after day without complaint. I think Roenicke sees that and knows how well Rickie did in the 2nd half of last year and is giving him time.

Don't confuse activity with accomplishments. Hard work when it's not producing results is empty work. Weeks was always a guy who relied on amazing talent and a quick bat. His bat isn't so quick any more. A lot may be due to the wrist injuries he's endured. Frankly I think he's a little out of shape too. He could stand to drop 15-20 pounds.

Roenicke is Pollyanna.

Rickie's complete loss of speed since a couple years ago really is rather incredibly. He sure isn't getting to many infield hits any more.

I am hesitant to call him Bill Hall Part 2 yet; but clearly is sliding towards irrelavance quickly. I am just hoping that if he doesn't figure it out this year that RR and DM make darn sure his 2015 option doesn't vest. Don't give him PA's just to give him PA's. Get someone else in here whether it be Gennet or some FA. Weeks may be an expensive bench player in 2014 but that is better than having to pay him in 2015 to be just as bad.

I am hoping he turns it around; but even then I hope that 2012 and 2013 teaches DM and RR that Weeks can't really be trusted to consistently produce any more and that they should hedge their bets in 2014 and get some competition for him.

Weeks still has a ton of bat speed. He's slowed down around the bases (you're right JB, he's def overweight), but his hands are still plenty quick.

He's had major slumps (which get more prolonged every year) in 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012 and now 2013. And his main problem during every single slump is lunging at the ball. By the time he is about to make contact, he's so off balance there's almost no way he could square up the ball.

At some point the Weeks apologists are going to have to look at the facts and see that over his last 1000 PA's he's been a .200 hitter that puts up a lowish 700 ops and plays league worst defense. Even if he rebounds during the summer months and winds up with a respectable ops, his value is completely shot. He's a sunk cost. Time to move on. I hope Melvin/Ash learned their lesson in that you don't wait until a very talented, underperforming player puts up career highs in every category during his age 27 season to extend him. Especially when he had one more year of arb left.

Giving Bianchi the keys to see what we have in him is the right play here. Weeks can go down to AAA if he wants to play every day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would keep Rickie in the lineup because:

1. If Weeks can rebound, he's better than Scooter ever will be.

2. Rickie can't get better sitting on the bench.

3. Right now, no one would trade for Weeks. He's got negative value. We'd either just have to cut the guy or eat 90-95% of his contract in a trade.

4. If you let Rickie play, and he does well, he has some trade value in the off season. I wouldn't expect someone to take on his entire salary, but more than a token amount.

5. This team isn't very good right now. Even if Rickie continues to stink all year, Scooter isn't going to make us a contender. This team needs Rickie to seriously rebound if it can even think about getting back into the playoff race. And not just Rickie, but our pitching needs to take some major steps if we can save 2013. If this team was playing well, I would think you'd have to seriously consider making some move with regard to Weeks. But it's not. We have the fourth worst record in baseball. We are sucking, and we'll continue to suck with either Rickie or Scooter (or Bianchi or Yuni) at 2B.

So, keep playing Rickie. Hope he gets back his game. Look to trade him in the offseason. If he has a terrible 2013, perhaps you cut/trade him. But the cost is the same if you cut/trade him now, or do so in the offseason (unless he can do better and regain some value).

I guess I'm playing from a cynical hand. I don't think this team is very good, and we aren't going to get much better in 2013. So I don't see the problem trying to rebuild some of Weeks' value, and deal him for salary relief and/or a young asset.

Right now, no one would trade for Weeks.

Jack Z hasn't been fired yet in Seattle. We have a small window to trade Weeks to Seattle for pitching before Jack gets fired (!)

I would keep Rickie in the lineup because:

1. If Weeks can rebound, he's better than Scooter ever will be.

2. Rickie can't get better sitting on the bench.

3. Right now, no one would trade for Weeks. He's got negative value. We'd either just have to cut the guy or eat 90-95% of his contract in a trade.

4. If you let Rickie play, and he does well, he has some trade value in the off season. I wouldn't expect someone to take on his entire salary, but more than a token amount.

5. This team isn't very good right now. Even if Rickie continues to stink all year, Scooter isn't going to make us a contender. This team needs Rickie to seriously rebound if it can even think about getting back into the playoff race. And not just Rickie, but our pitching needs to take some major steps if we can save 2013. If this team was playing well, I would think you'd have to seriously consider making some move with regard to Weeks. But it's not. We have the fourth worst record in baseball. We are sucking, and we'll continue to suck with either Rickie or Scooter (or Bianchi or Yuni) at 2B.

So, keep playing Rickie. Hope he gets back his game. Look to trade him in the offseason. If he has a terrible 2013, perhaps you cut/trade him. But the cost is the same if you cut/trade him now, or do so in the offseason (unless he can do better and regain some value).

I guess I'm playing from a cynical hand. I don't think this team is very good, and we aren't going to get much better in 2013. So I don't see the problem trying to rebuild some of Weeks' value, and deal him for salary relief and/or a young asset.

Very well-said. And I agree with all of it.

On the flip side, Weeks could get better on the bench if it allows him to clear his head. Sometimes working harder isn't what fixes you.

Exactly. Sometimes being benched can light a fire under you.

FREE BIANCHI!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

On the flip side, Weeks could get better on the bench if it allows him to clear his head. Sometimes working harder isn't what fixes you.

If he is not starting, I think he needs a full game to be on the bench, no more pinch hitting. Give the guy a full day off with nothing to burden his poor mind.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Absolutely. There's something to be said about trying too hard.

Look, Rickie Weeks is the starting second baseman of the Milwaukee Brewers, and he'll probably be the second baseman of the Brewers next season, too. I don't think there's any Brewer fan out there that's more disappointed in his performance than Rickie is in his own play. And nobody is giving up on him. We're not turning our back on him like Don Corleone. We all want him to succeed. But if he's pressing, maybe the best thing for him would be to sit for a few games. Bianchi has a hot bat right now, and I'm sure that Rickie understands you go with whomever gives you the best chance to win. Right now, Rickie is not that guy. A week from now, he might be.

We all accept that Rickie is a streaky player. When he's off, especially the last two seasons, he can be really off. When he's on, he can carry a club. Let the man step back for a few days, take a breather, and then put him back in.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I do agree to most extent on the Sit Weeks an entire game. But as a Bench bat, The Weeks of Old has to have one wonder/believe he's their best bat to call off the bench currently. It's also harder to do with our pitchers not going more than 6ip. We are interchanging Pitchers and Pinch hitters enought times in game that you just can't leave Rickie on the Bench in most situations w/o having a PA.

Let's just say Bianchi right now has me at a point of waiting on Gennett until Mid-June comes at least to remove any Super 2 Status chances. I didn't realize Bianchi's flexibility within the Infield and he's clearly the right answer to Rickie Weeks.

BTW, looking at the Schedule, I would think the Bench Rickie for an entire game, game would either be tomorrow with Thursday's Off Day, or Friday so to have 2 full days away.

Keep up the good numbers Scooter in AAA! We'll take them in the Bigs further down the road ;)

Does anyone really believe that sitting a guy for a game (or two or five) will help him play better? Like it's the magical fix for a guy who's struggled for the majority of the last season and a half?

Play Bianchi. At this point it doesn't really matter outside of the fact that we really don't want Weeks to get enough PAs for his option to kick in.

Does anyone really believe that sitting a guy for a game (or two or five) will help him play better? Like it's the magical fix for a guy who's struggled for the majority of the last season and a half?

Play Bianchi. At this point it doesn't really matter outside of the fact that we really don't want Weeks to get enough PAs for his option to kick in.

I don't know if it will work in Rickie's case, but I have seen it work before.

Players slump for a variety of reasons. Mental struggles, injuries, fatigue, or something as simple as a flaw in their swing/pitching mechanics.

I've never heard Rickie complain once, nor have I heard him making excuses. Who knows what's going on with him right now. But give him a few days off to rest, and put him back in. It couldn't hurt, and it might just help.

Archived