Brewer Fanatic

Sheffield:Yankees treat black players differently/HOF debate

Crazyk1294

Link

This pretty much sums up the article:

"Gary Sheffield asserts black and white players are treated differently under Yankees manager Joe Torre, says Derek Jeter "ain't all the way black," and denies he ever has used steroids because "steroids is something you shoot in your butt" in an eye-opening interview with Andrea Kremer for the next edition of HBO's "Real Sports," debuting at 10 p.m. Tuesday night."

Doesn't he have someone telling him that he's embarrassing himself. Who can take this guy seriously anymore?

I know race continues to be a serious issue in this country, but I have to think that moronic statements like basically calling Jeter an "Uncle Tom" undermines the good work people are trying to accomplish.

I'm getting to the point where I'd rather athletes don't speak to the media at all, far too few have anything intelligent to say these days.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

When will Gary Sheffield realize that he simply does not have anything bright to say? And when will he actually grow up and become a consumate professional? My God I am starting to wonder if his mother dropped him on his head when he was a child. If he gets his 500th home run, he should NOT be in the Hall. What has he ever done for the game that has been positive? All the malcontent does is wear his welcome out for every club he has ever played for and everytime he leaves a team, fans have a sigh of relief (ie. Braves, Dodgers and Brewers). He talks to the media like Barry Bonds, only Bonds keeps his mouth shut if he knows he is going to say something stupid.

If he gets his 500th home run, he should NOT be in the Hall. What has he ever done for the game that has been positive?

I don't think his intelligence, or lack thereof, should be a qualification for getting into The Hall. If a player plays well enough to get into The Hall, he should be there despite how he talks to the media.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Homophobic AND racist! What a combo!

Gary Sheffield: Everyone treats me differently (and not to my liking), and the only reason is because I'm black...did you just call me 'boy'?! No? Oh, thought I heard you say that...nevermind

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Prior to the steroid era, only three players - Dave Kingman, Andre Dawson and Darrell Evans - had hit 400 HR and not been elected to the Hall of Fame. 500 was always talked about as the "magic number", but 400 did the trick in almost all cases.

Now, we have a long list of players who have topped 400 in recent years, some of whom have no shot at HOF election. 500 HRs is not the safe haven its always been. McGwire is paying a big price with the voters right now, and Palmeiro has probably sealed his own fate.

There will be players with 500 HR who are left out of the Hall of Fame in the near future, Sheffield has never endeared himself to the fans or the media anywhere he's played. There will not be a big push for his election.

Frequent comments, like these, will stick in the minds of the BBWAA when Gary's name hits their ballots. I think he's anything but a lock, 500 or not.

Quote:
I don't think his intelligence, or lack thereof, should be a qualification for getting into The Hall. If a player plays well enough to get into The Hall, he should be there despite how he talks to the media
It's not his intelligence in this case, IMO.

This is from the National Baseball Hall of Fame website.

Quote:
5. Voting ? Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played
I'd say Sheff is suspect in at least 3, perhaps 4 areas. This is the justification used in not letting McGwire get anywhere close this past election.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Hall of Fame will become extremely diluted within the 30-40 years. Like someone mentioned before, 500 homers was considered the plateau, and now it seems like an afterthought.

I am a purist in a sense and the way the stats are these days, it is becoming ridiculous to me.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is now becoming an open door to almost anybody in baseball.

Manny Ramirez is close to 500 career and I could never put him side-by-side with the likes of Frank Robinson, etc.

It already is extremely dilluted. There's loads of players there that don't belong. Sheffield, on the other hand, is a 100% lock, he's one of the best hitters of the generation.

Manny Ramirez was a lock two years ago already. Just an amazing hitter. Players like he and Sheff don't dillute the Hall.

Who doesn't belong in the Hall that was inducted already? I just think Sheffield should not be in the same elite class as Willie Mays, who actually did the game good when he played, unlike Sheffield who will always be known as an idiot and selfish player.

Bill Mazeroski

Red Schoendist

Luis Aparicio

Phil Rizzuto

To name a few. There are also a lot of guys that have gone in in recent years that played in the Negro Leagues who appear to have not been very good players and were put in solely because they played in that league.

I just think Sheffield should not be in the same elite class as Willie Mays

Willie Mays would probably disagree with you on that one.

Quote:
If or when Sheffield goes into the Hall of Fame, what hat will he wear?

I don't know about which hat he will wear, but I am looking forward to his speech. It wouldn't surprise me if he ripped a bunch of more people.

In fact, I am sure he will probably rip the Hall of Fame too. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Has Sheffield ever been happy? He gets to "play" for a living and is paid an obscene amount of money to do it, yet he's always complaining to the media. I guess some people will never be happy.

My favorite line from the article:

Quote:
Sheffield reportedly began the interview by saying: "I tell myself every offseason I'm not going to say anything crazy. I'm just going to have a peaceful season ... Can't do it. I'm cut from a different cloth."

Sheffield is now saying that he has nothing against Jeter and that he's one of his best friends in the game. He didn't deny that he had issues with the Yankee organization and Joe Torre, though. Apparently things weren't "first class" there like he expected them to be.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Who were the other black players treated so badly? Bernie Williams? Any other "all black" players during Sheff's Yankee tenure? Come on NY media get Williams' opinion on this and any other "black" Yankee.

How does Sheff know how "non-black" players were treated "inside" Torre's office?

Archived