Brewer Fanatic

Pollyanna Ronnicky

This team is giving me cancer.

I am so damned sick of ****** like Pete Kozma, Shane Robinson and Daniel Descalso standing on top of the plate, with ZERO chance of getting brushed back, because Ronnicky's pitchers don't do that sort of thing of course. I'm not calling for throwing at these .200 hitters. But as Freese and Furcal did in the 2011 NLCS, once they can relax and extend their arms across the plate at any pitch, they're in charge.

And after the game what does Ronnicky say today? "We didn't play bad all 4 games"

I'm waiting for either a) him to get mad for once and show his team that crapping the bed against THIS lineup is not acceptable, or b) a sportswriter to godforbid ask why his teams are so passive against our top rival.

I'm tired of him

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Verified Member

Amen.

The question I have is, what will it take to get him fired? Is he bullet proof with Mark A.?

He is a giant doofus, I haven't been able to stomach his presence as our manager since he started Kotsay in CF in a key playoff matchup. That was and still is inexcusable in my eyes, and everything stupid that he has done since has been magnified.

He is a complete and total wuss, and if the players were allowed to be honest, I don't think they want him around either.

I want nothing more for this organization than to see him gone. I can't stand looking at him, can't stand listening to his clueless comments in post game interviews, and can no longer stomach anything about him.

He completely kills the spirit I have for this team. I want him gone.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The guy is one of the worst managers in baseball. i'm tired of him having players bunt. im tired of his pansy approach to the game. im tired of him trotting out axford game after game. im tired of him not ripping into the players for playing like gutless cowards against our top division rival. im just tired of him. he's a huge disappointment considering the fact that he's a student of mike scioscia. i want an aggressive manager. i want a manager that isn't afraid to yell at the umps. i want a manager that isn't afraid to call for the bean ball to avenge our guys. i want a manager that will rip into his players when they play like crap. roenicke will never be that guy. im so tired of the brewers getting beat by the cardinals and reds. year after year this team gets slapped around by the cards and reds. its embarrassing. we can't compete for a division title if we cant beat our top rivals. getting swept in a 4 game series at home is really bad. the guy even had the nerve to say that he was upset that axford was booed after blowing the pirates game. seriously man? the fans have been extra patient with axford. he deserved to get booed. when you suck you deserved to get chewed out. if you want to help the guy then send him down to the minors. roenicke is hurting axford by continuing to trot him out there like a sacrificial lamb. i feel bad for axford. i have no idea why this has happened to him. he was a guy that was dominant his first two seasons and then disappeared. the team needs to give him some time off. maybe he will find his magic again. all i know is we cant keep sending him out there. bad axford has cost us games. this team is just frustrating as hell.

rant over.

The question I have is, what will it take to get him fired? Is he bullet proof with Mark A.?

Unfortunately, I think he is because of the injuries.

I'm with you though. I can't stand his approach to the game. I hate the bunt fetish. I hate how reckless he is with a runner on third with less than two out. I hate that he doesn't trust his guys to find a hole with the infield in. I really hate that professional baseball players aren't allowed to decide when they try to score from third, regardless of how dead to rights they'll be.

This team has no edge, and frankly they haven't since Prince left.

Community Moderator
Does anyone on this site ever like a current manager? Just curious. Back to back winning seasons, made the playoffs, won a series, almost made it last year when left for dead, what else do you want from a small market team? Not accusing anyone but it seems like the attitude tends to lean that, when we win its because of the players, but when we lose its the managers fault. Can't really have it both ways.

I think we had back to back winning seasons, a playoff series win...in spite of Roenicke, not because of anything he did.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I actually thought Macha managed the 'pen really well.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I realize people may disagree with and even hate some of his strategy & managerial decisions... but if there's anything Roenicke isn't, it's stupid/a doofus/etc. He's a bright guy, and I hate seeing that kind of hyperbole thrown around after a bad run of results.

I don't love or hate him as a manager, but I'd like to see these kinds of discussions kept in reality. Analyze his in-game strategy, player/ego management, lineup construction, etc. But don't devolve this into "He's a moron!" It's just not true.

Does anyone on this site ever like a current manager?

I liked Macha's in-game management. If we could somehow combine his strategy with Roenicke's personality, I'd be happy. I actually don't think there are more than a small handful of managers currently working in MLB that fit what I'd like to see in one. Joe Girardi is honestly the only I can think of, off-hand.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like Joe Maddon.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think I like Maddon, but honestly I'm not familiar enough with him to say for sure. Iirc he likes the sac bunt more than I do.. but not sure if that alone is enough to say I don't like him.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator
I think we had back to back winning seasons, a playoff series win...in spite of Roenicke, not because of anything he did.

So we win because of our players but we lose because of the manager. That argument doesn't jive for me. Either you think the manager has little influence over a game and therefore players should get 95% of the credit/blame or you think the manager has a big influence and should get most of the credit/blame. If you think the manager is the key to a team's success, you better give Ron some credit because we have won a lot, even with a team that was left for dead last year. If you think it's all about the players, don't blame Ron when we lose, blame the players for not doing their job.

Listen, I get it, when a manager makes a decision and it doesn't work, people get upset and say the other decision was the right one. That's easy because we can just assume decision B would have worked, but really that could just as easily failed too. So I understand why managers get all the heat each game, it's easy to blame them.

I think if we win a World Series people would still dislike our manager.

So we win because of our players but we lose because of the manager. That argument doesn't jive for me. Either you think the manager has little influence over a game and therefore players should get 95% of the credit/blame or you think the manager has a big influence and should get most of the credit/blame. If you think the manager is the key to a team's success, you better give Ron some credit because we have won a lot, even with a team that was left for dead last year. If you think it's all about the players, don't blame Ron when we lose, blame the players for not doing their job.

Listen, I get it, when a manager makes a decision and it doesn't work, people get upset and say the other decision was the right one. That's easy because we can just assume decision B would have worked, but really that could just as easily failed too. So I understand why managers get all the heat each game, it's easy to blame them.

I think if we win a World Series people would still dislike our manager.

In the areas he has control over he makes some poor decisions.

Even when a decision works it doesn't mean it was right. When a decision fails doesn't mean it was wrong.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Roenicke is a really average manager.

Macha was a completely tool when it came to the actual managing of players, there is more to the job than the on field part and he completely failed at the rest of it.

Yost was just awful at the in game part.

Roenicke is easily the best overall manager we have had in the Braun era.

I realize people may disagree with and even hate some of his strategy & managerial decisions... but if there's anything Roenicke isn't, it's stupid/a doofus/etc. He's a bright guy, and I hate seeing that kind of hyperbole thrown around after a bad run of results.

Roenicke a bright guy? Lol. I've watched just about every Brewer game since he's been the manager and the guy is a grade A moron.

Roenicke is a really average manager.

Macha was a completely tool when it came to the actual managing of players, there is more to the job than the on field part and he completely failed at the rest of it.

Yost was just awful at the in game part.

Roenicke is easily the best overall manager we have had in the Braun era.

Macha > Roenicke

"Does anyone on this site ever like the current manager?"

I'll go to my grave, staying with the notion that Davey Lopes remains a knowledgeable baseball mind, well-respected throughout the game, who was given the lowest payroll and absolutely the worst talent in franchise history, and was fired because he couldn't elevate such bustouts like Henry Blanco, Jason Bere and the flyin' Mouton brothers into even a .500 team

When Davey was canned, Bob Nightengale wrote eloquently about how this was a bad, hair-trigger move, especially when Ol Scrap was allowed to string 7 straight losing seasons in a row with much better talent, because he was afraid to tell it like it is, unlike Davey:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2002-04-24/majors.htm

Hell, I liked Ronnicky too.......until he displayed his warm oatmeal approach in the 2011 NLCS. So, for my part at least, I have also liked Del Crandall, Harvey Kuenn, George Bamberger, Tom Trebelhorn, Jim LeFebvre....

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Maybe the Cardinals just have a much better team than the Brewers right now?

Yeah, I think we're going to have a lot of love/hate threads this season. The team probably doesn't have playoff-level talent, but fans tend to believe the hot streaks are the norm, and when cold streaks happen, someone needs to be blamed. We've probably got two #2 starters and three #5's, and we've been starting backup SS's all over the field. If not for a few guys like Segura, Betancourt and Gomez playing over their heads, this team would be lost. Those guys will cool down, while other guys will heat up. That's baseball, and Roenicke has as much control over Weeks' slow start as he has over Gomez and Segura's hot starts.

Prior to the season, I figured this was around a .500 team that would fight with the Pirates for 3rd/4th in the division. I'll stand by that and be really happy if the Brewers are in the playoff race as the season progresses, rather than getting emotional when they play to their talent level (good sometimes and bad others).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Macha > Roenicke

I wouldn't say it is even very close, Macha was awful. There is a reason his name is never even mentioned when teams are thinking of a new manager and it is because he can't manage players.

Macha > Roenicke

I wouldn't say it is even very close, Macha was awful. There is a reason his name is never even mentioned when teams are thinking of a new manager and it is because he can't manage players.

Macha was good with bullpen management, relatively speaking. And I'm pretty sure he'd never start Mark Kotsay in CF in a playoff game. Nor would he start Casey McGehee and Yuniesky Betancourt virtually every single game when they were automatic outs a couple years ago. Nor would he start Alex freaking Gonzalez virtually every game... at FIRST BASE! Roenicke is the worst manager I've seen in my life.

If he handled McGehee incorrectly it was not sitting him 3 or 4 more times than he did, otherwise he handled him exactly like every other manager handles struggling guys who go on little hot streaks and look like they are breaking out of it. We didn't have a backup to Yuni B. Most of what you are complaining about are roster construction issues, not management ones.

I mean if they fire Roenicke it isn't going to bother me because he is about as vanilla a manager as you will find so is completely replaceable, but most of the complaints about him seem to be people not really trying to understand the thought process of managing a baseball team. I remember the one time he was starting Kotsay in CF and everyone flipped out and it turned out we had 2 players hurt so we had basically nobody else left, people tend to forget about the details.

Macha was a decent on the field manager, that is not what I'm saying. I've only once seen a manager lose his team to a greater extent than Macha did while he was here and that was Bobby V last year with the Red Sox. As for setting the lineup etc, nothing Roenicke has done is any worse than how Macha handled Gamel.

edit: Looks like ennder beat me to the comparison.

Sounds like this is the guy you want on the bench. Ask Boston fans how that type of personality works in modern baseball.

http://i.guim.co.uk/n/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2011/12/2/1322784317796/Bobby-Valentine-becomes-B-007.jpg

This team is giving me cancer.

I am so damned sick of ****** like Pete Kozma, Shane Robinson and Daniel Descalso standing on top of the plate, with ZERO chance of getting brushed back, because Ronnicky's pitchers don't do that sort of thing of course. I'm not calling for throwing at these .200 hitters. But as Freese and Furcal did in the 2011 NLCS, once they can relax and extend their arms across the plate at any pitch, they're in charge.

And after the game what does Ronnicky say today? "We didn't play bad all 4 games"

I'm waiting for either a) him to get mad for once and show his team that crapping the bed against THIS lineup is not acceptable, or b) a sportswriter to godforbid ask why his teams are so passive against our top rival.

I'm tired of him

Community Moderator

All Macha's players hated him. He was not an answer. He may have done things well with managing but he can't lead a team.

Don't get mad at Ron for being blessed with two shortstops to play 1b. He's hands are tied.

I like Ron and I like when he bunts and does suicide squeeze plays. They work more often than they don't. He may lack some fire at times but Macha did too. His players seem to like him and we are winning, what else should we need as fans?

Archived