Brewer Fanatic

Brewers accused of stealing signs

Can't remember who it was exactly (it wasn't the Pirates) but I do remember seeing a game where the visiting catcher was giving the pitcher multiple signs when no one was on base which would seem to indicate they thought some serious sign stealing was going on.

Perhaps it was this? http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130406&content_id=44070412&notebook_id=44073938&vkey=notebook_ari&c_id=ari

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Who's giving the other team signs when Axford in on the mound?

Axford

Actually, this is a pretty interesting point. I know that, technically, there's a difference between "sign stealing" and "tipping pitches," but it seems teams only claim indignation when it's framed as the former.

The Pirates starting pitching really wasn't good in this last series. It just wasn't. Even in the unlikely case that Brewer hitters knew what pitch was coming, it still doesn't mean they have a case for complaint. For all we know, the team scouted well or saw something on video to indicate the Pirates' staff was "tipping."

Information comes in all kinds of ways. Someone with a binoculars is probably the least likely source.

Verified Member
Who's giving the other team signs when Axford in on the mound?

Axford

Actually, this is a pretty interesting point. I know that, technically, there's a difference between "sign stealing" and "tipping pitches," but it seems teams only claim indignation when it's framed as the former.

The Pirates starting pitching really wasn't good in this last series. It just wasn't. Even in the unlikely case that Brewer hitters knew what pitch was coming, it still doesn't mean they have a case for complaint. For all we know, the team scouted well or saw something on video to indicate the Pirates' staff was "tipping."

Information comes in all kinds of ways. Someone with a binoculars is probably the least likely source.

off-topic, your username is awesome.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This again? LOL.

Earth to the Pirates. We don't need to steal your signs to beat you into oblivion.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

off-topic, your username is awesome.

I agree. That's awesome, lol.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

God I love playing the Pirates. They make the game entertaining in many different ways. For all we know the next excuse they will come up with is they got distracted at the plate by Lucroy's gas issues or by front row Amy.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'd like to see the Crew set up a gigantic, obviously fake, complete caricature of telescope, with a half-barrel for a lens, on top of Bernie's slide next time the Pirates come to town. Bernie could then relay the stolen signs down to one of the racing sausages via 2 gigantic tin cans and a length of string. Or better yet, semaphore flags. Just make the entire production as ridiculous as humanly possible.

Yes, this would be even more awesome than those guys dressed up as the "lighting crew" a couple years ago when the Cardinals were in town.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wouldn't guys who have left the Brewers confirm this? Especially when they play against them? Just a thought.

I think it's one of those "protect the game" type of deals.

It was decades before anything came out about the 51 Giants getting signs from the scoreboard at the Polo Grounds.

Obviously once guys leave and go to other teams, then either the system used changes or stops all together. Since that team made it to the World Series, my guess is none of them wanted that accomplishment tainted.

Jays now complaining about Buchholz throwing a spitter. Jack Morris of all people is leading the way. When a team loses, especially when they expected to do better they always look for a scapegoat instead of looking in the mirror.

I assume they are accusing the Brewers of doing something in addition to this like using cameras in the outfield to look into Pit's dugout or catcher's groinal region and then relaying that info to RRR or directly to the batter.

I have no idea if this is true but I assume this is the claim, not that the 3rd base coach is seeing the catcher's signs etc.

How would relaying it into RRR or the dugout help? Even if there is a camera and the dugout knows a curve is coming, how does the batter get the info in time? Maybe I am missing something.

Doesn't the hitter need instant info? Hence a light on the scoreboard or some other signal. Which is why with all the cameras around nowadays, I doubt some signal that was used consistently would go unnoticed.

Archived