Brewer Fanatic

Brewers accused of stealing signs

I don't have a link but Dave Radcliffe of Yahoo Sports has an article up that the Pirates are complaining that the Brewers are stealing signs in Miller Park.

I guess that's possible but why exclude giving them to Weeks except for one game? And why just against Pittsburgh of all teams?

How about we get some volunteers to bring binoculars to the OF and pretend to be flashing signs to mess with St. Louis this weekend?

Verified Member
haev they been stealing signs since 2007?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Verified Member

also, wandy sucks at miller park, were they stealing HOU signs?

JMac has been a disaster this year and 2nd half of last year. clearly, teams are stealing his signs, its the only explanation for his decline

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Verified Member
I don't have a link but Dave Radcliffe of Yahoo Sports has an article up that the Pirates are complaining that the Brewers are stealing signs in Miller Park.

I guess that's possible but why exclude giving them to Weeks except for one game? And why just against Pittsburgh of all teams?

How about we get some volunteers to bring binoculars to the OF and pretend to be flashing signs to mess with St. Louis this weekend?

I guess the Brewers were stealing signs at PNC last year, too - the batters had a better than .300 avg and the pitchers had a 2.20 (ish) ERA there.

It all shows how much losing at Miller Park has gotten inside the heads of the Pirates. If they think it's so easy to do, what's stopping them from doing it at PNC. It's ludicrous. The warmer weather in this series was conducive to hitting. The Pirate pitchers were awful the first two games. When teams don't hit there, it's the shadows. When the Brewers, who led the NL in runs scored playing half their games on the road, get some runs in a series, they are cheating?

Verified Member

now, I just want to point out, I have not heard a thing about this on the radio here in pittsburgh today or last night... but seriously, it screams of desparation from a team with a 20 YEAR losing streak.

Also, TLR was just a crotchety old man who complained to hear his own voice.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Verified Member
now, I just want to point out, I have not heard a thing about this on the radio here in pittsburgh today or last night... but seriously, it screams of desparation from a team with a 20 YEAR losing streak.

Here's something that was posted on Deadspin yesterday:

(Edit: Colorful language in link - may not be NSFW)

http://deadspin.com/jim-trdinich-is-the-pirates-director-of-baseball-commun-486353635

Wonder how long he'll have his job.....

Radcliffe credited Pirate director of baseball communications, Jim Trdinich, of posting on his facebook page (later deleted), something to the effect he was tired of the "tomfoolery going on at the apparent unfriendly confines of Miller Park."

Verified Member
huh, well maybe I should turn up the radio to see if anyone is paying attention to anything unrelated to NHL playoffs

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Community Moderator
Can't remember who it was exactly (it wasn't the Pirates) but I do remember seeing a game where the visiting catcher was giving the pitcher multiple signs when no one was on base which would seem to indicate they thought some serious sign stealing was going on.

huh, well maybe I should turn up the radio to see if anyone is paying attention to anything unrelated to NHL playoffs

Ha, at this time of year, in Pittsburgh?

Never been there myself, but I'm guessing a big "no", on that one.

Heck I could go the Friday night Brewer game for free, but I'm saying home to watch the Pens.

GO PENGUINS !!!

15 more !!

(Pens fan since the late 80s. Steelers since the late 70s.)

Stealing signs is fine and accepted if it is ONLY being done by members of your 25 man roster or any coaches in the dugout/on the field/in the bullpen.

I assume they are accusing the Brewers of doing something in addition to this like using cameras in the outfield to look into Pit's dugout or catcher's groinal region and then relaying that info to RRR or directly to the batter.

I have no idea if this is true but I assume this is the claim, not that the 3rd base coach is seeing the catcher's signs etc.

I can remember watching a Cub's telecast a few years back where Bob Brenly was adamant that the because the Brewers were hitting the ball well they must be stealing signs. I can't stand this argument. IMO doing so is nothing more than the loud whine of a team or fan-base who can't accept the fact their team performed poorly and use it to rationalize a poor performance. It's easier for the Pirates and their fans to say "the Brewers stole our signs" than "Wow our pitching sucks." I may be wrong but I can't recall ever hearing a Brewer player, manager, coach or broadcaster complaining in public that the other team was stealing the Brewer's signs.

Verified Member

Ha, at this time of year, in Pittsburgh?

Never been there myself, but I'm guessing a big "no", on that one.

Heck I could go the Friday night Brewer game for free, but I'm saying home to watch the Pens.

GO PENGUINS !!!

15 more !!

(Pens fan since the late 80s. Steelers since the late 70s.)

I was being sorta sarcastic :) after the 5-0 win last night over the isles I dont think anyone here even remembers that the baseball team won a game in a town theyve only won 5 in the last 6 years.

im a big pens fan, pirates are my #2 MLB team, but screw the steelers, go PACKERS!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I'd love for Melvin or RR to get in front of a camera and call these teams out - tell them to "prove it". I'd love to hear the theories...is Bernie Brewer glassing the catcher signs from atop the slide with binoculars and signaling down to the clubhouse? Is Tony Plush hiding out somewhere inside the CF scoreboard relaying information? My guess is whatever theories they have about sign stealing will make them look like they deserve tin foil hats.

If it's the players stealing signs from 2nd or coaches are picking them up from the catcher somehow, it's the opponents fault for being terrible at giving them away. Here's a thought - change them up every once in awhile.

Verified Member
quickest way for something to go away is to ignore it. confronting the teams to prove it brings in the microscope to EVERYTHING. and its childish.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Verified Member
Who's giving the other team signs when Axford in on the mound?

Axford

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I'd like to see the Crew set up a gigantic, obviously fake, complete caricature of telescope, with a half-barrel for a lens, on top of Bernie's slide next time the Pirates come to town. Bernie could then relay the stolen signs down to one of the racing sausages via 2 gigantic tin cans and a length of string. Or better yet, semaphore flags. Just make the entire production as ridiculous as humanly possible.

Archived