Brewer Fanatic

Gomez trade finally paying dividends?

adambr2

I'll be the first to admit that when we sent Hardy to Minnesota in 2009, I thought, "this is the best we could do?" It looked like we were acquiring a bust. The first couple seasons in Milwaukee did nothing to change that. I knew some fans raved about how high his ceiling was, but up until last year, it just looked like he was going to be a talented free-swinger who could offer you speed, great defense, and nothing else.

Last year he had a "mini" breakout with a solid .768 OPS. Now that breakout looks like it might be coming full circle. For perspective, Michael Bourn was a 6 WAR player last year despite a modest .739 OPS because of his speed and good defense.

If Gomez is one of the elite defensive CF's, steals 30 or so bases, and offers 20-25 HR power, he's a pretty scary valuable player.

I think becoming more patient at the plate and losing the free-swinging ways has made an enormous difference. His walk numbers aren't up that much, but he's being much more patient, working deeper into counts, getting better pitches to hit, and hitting them.

I think becoming more patient at the plate and losing the free-swinging ways has made an enormous difference. His walk numbers aren't up that much, but he's being much more patient, working deeper into counts, getting better pitches to hit, and hitting them.

Carlos Gomez Pitches / Plate Appearence (per ESPN)

2007: 3.37

2008: 3.44

2009: 3.55

2010: 3.57

2011: 3.48

2012: 3.39

2013: 4.08

He's been noticably more patient thusfar in the season. That being said, I remember tracking this with Corey Hart a few years ago, and the player tends to revert to the mean. It is still just 89 plate appearances, but it's something I'd hope can continue, since Gomez has been on an absolute tear at the same time he's being more selective.

The stats that impress me the most:

O-Swing% Z-Swing% Swing% O-Contact% Z-Contact% Contact%

33.3 % 72.1 % 51.0 % 59.1 % 89.1 % 78.4 %

Career low swinging Outside the zone. Career high Zone Contact %.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Carlos Gomez Pitches / Plate Appearence (per ESPN)

2007: 3.37

2008: 3.44

2009: 3.55

2010: 3.57

2011: 3.48

2012: 3.39

2013: 4.08

He's been noticably more patient thusfar in the season. That being said, I remember tracking this with Corey Hart a few years ago, and the player tends to revert to the mean. It is still just 89 plate appearances, but it's something I'd hope can continue, since Gomez has been on an absolute tear at the same time he's being more selective.

I posted something similar about his pitch/PA rate in last night's IGT -- but you've provided much better context. From that IGT post, here are a few quick comparisons for Carlos's much-improved rate --

'12 Braun: 3.75

'12 Aoki: 3.89

'13 Segura: 3.75

(Segura's rate was from FanGraphs, heading into play yesterday, so it probably has changed slightly)

We're definitely still in small sample territory wrt to Gómez, but it's not some fluke that he's seeing more pitches. His discipline & pitch recognition have been greatly improved, and his PAs have been better due to those improvements. Whether he can keep this improvement as part of his repertoire or not remains to be seen, but the early eye test is very encouraging. I don't think we should be expecting a .900+ OPS for the season, but .800 or better appears pretty attainable with his current approach.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Pitches per PA becomes reliable around 150 PA. I can't say anything about the eye test, but I know in the past Gomez has looked good for a few weeks here and there. He also didn't have a walk for how many games to start the year. I guess all I am saying is let's just wait and see how he does. Same as Weeks and Yuni.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

To really put this in context you would have to put the money earned into it etc. I didn't like the trade at the time but given how we were able to trade for Greinke and then get Segura I think we did a decent job of getting good value out of our SS position over the past few years, even if it meant watching Yuni for so long!

I love the way Carlos plays baseball, even when he was so bad offensively, there's just so much energy, like a big kid in a Brewers uniform.

I can see that. But I actually think losing some of the "spaziness" is what has helped him. Don't get me wrong, he's still 100%, all effort, all energy. But I think the fact that he's been able to settle down and harness the energy at the plate a little bit more and not be so anxious has really been the key. It was never a question of his talent.

My answer to this thread is "yes." I'm shocked and thrilled to be able to say that.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I love the way Carlos plays baseball, even when he was so bad offensively, there's just so much energy, like a big kid in a Brewers uniform.

This is one of the many things that stats can't quantify. Playing with this type of effort, enthusiasm, and energy rubs off on the other guys in the clubhouse and helps pick them up after a tough loss, on a long road trip, and keeps them loose over a long season. He seems to be the ring leader of the post-game shaving cream pie delivery service, a valuable role on any team over a long season.

I think Gomez deserves tons of credit for the late season surge last year too. He creates so many things, and in close games, his ability to win games in so many ways, is so valuable. Like I said at the time, his contract is an absolute gift for the Brewers. Imagine his price on the open market if he hit even .285/.335/.475? over a full season at his age?

...and let's get this one back on topic.

Gomez over the past two seasons (546 PA's): .277/.324/.489/.813. Let's just say I'm happy to have an elite defensive CF who can swing the bat that well. Should he continue to put up those numbers, he'll be quite the deal.

I've stated this before, but i can't recall another Brewers player that i disliked as much early in his tenure, only to then become one of, if not my favorite players on the team. My good buddy feels the same way.

Carlos is just so fun to watch play. He not only hustles hard on every play regardless of the score, his personality strikes me as someone who would be awesome to play with. When Greinke was interviewed in spring training this year, he singled out Gomez as a guy he missed playing with.

Mix in his now vastly improved hitting and Segura being similar in many ways to Gomez, those two have really changed the complexion of the lineup. They won't keep hitting above .350, but if both can remain above average hitters for their position and mix in Ramirez this week and Hart hopefully June 1st, the lineup could be seriously lethal with no pretty easy outs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love the success he's having but there's still a part of me waiting for the bottom to drop out. I've been hurt before you know.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
I love the success he's having but there's still a part of me waiting for the bottom to drop out. I've been hurt before you know.

That made me laugh.

Carlos is playing really well. I'm sure there will be some ups and downs, but I've always loved watching him. It's like he drinks a case of red bull before every game. Just fired up to be out there.

I can see that. But I actually think losing some of the "spaziness" is what has helped him. Don't get me wrong, he's still 100%, all effort, all energy. But I think the fact that he's been able to settle down and harness the energy at the plate a little bit more and not be so anxious has really been the key. It was never a question of his talent.

You mean like being able to hit line drives to RF with 2 strikes instead of swining out of his shoes?

He's become a smarter hitter. It SEEMS like he's gotten more 2base STRIKE hits this year than he had all of last year(I'm sure that's not true, just seems like it), especially to right field. And he really is swinging at his pitch more.

I thought this deal had the chance to be a BIG time steal if he could get his OBP up to the .320 range and continue to hit for some power, steal bases and play defense. If he can manage to put up a .290/.335 line and hit 25 HR's/40 SB's, that's just a great deal for the team.

Maybe he finally doesn't feel the pressure of having to worry about his job, his financial security, and he's just grown as a baseball player. People forget how much he was rushed to the big leagues.

So after all the dust has settled, we've got a CF'er who will be around for 4 years and think is capable of putting up a 6 WAR season, Segura a 4-5 WAR season this year given their starts. So....Melvin who was much maligned might deserve some credit here for identifying Gomez' and his improvements and pulling the trigger for Segura when the scouting report said that he might not stick at SS(which just sounds foolish after watching him).

Certainly better than what Gomez appeared to be after the trade and what Yuni B was when he got here.

By the way, anyone else think he can carve out a little niche as a Juan Uribe TYPE player for another few years in this league? He's got some power, he's a guy you like to see up there with a man on 3rd and less than 2 down, and he can play all 4 IF spots....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

That made me laugh.

Carlos is playing really well. I'm sure there will be some ups and downs, but I've always loved watching him. It's like he drinks a case of red bull before every game. Just fired up to be out there.

He approaches the game of baseball the same way my dog does when I got into the other room and get ready to fill her bowl of food and then put my shoes on to take her outside to run in the fields. Just hopping, jumping, non-stop energy.

But while I understand the hesitation, he seems like it started last year and it's continued on this year, a fundamental change in the way he plays the game.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Verified Member

http://i.imgur.com/tYfsYTQ.gif

He approaches the game of baseball the same way my dog does when I got into the other room and get ready to fill her bowl of food and then put my shoes on to take her outside to run in the fields. Just hopping, jumping, non-stop energy.

Exactly. Great analogy.

Archived