Brewer Fanatic

Best baseball movie ever...

Nottso

While some may disagree, I know others on here have lamented (as have I) that the movie "Long Gone" is unavailable on DVD. Luckily, someone has uploaded it to YouTube in .avi format. This makes me happy.

I thought this would be more of a discussion. I would say comedy wise there's no quesion that it's Major League. I thought 42 was fantastic. My wife thought it was too much of a love story involved, but I felt that the love story was necessary since Rachael Robinson was not only Jackie's rock (and vice versa).

Field of Dreams is by far my favorite baseball movie. I think some find it a bit "corny" (and I know some people just despise Kevin Costner), but the whole passing down from generation to generation, father to son thing, really hit home for me.

As far as comedy goes and Bull Durham vs. Major League...I think Major League had a bigger quantity of humor, but Bull Durham's quality of humor was better imho.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Man this is such a hard one.

I have to go Field of Dreams. It gets me every time!! I think because playing catch with my dad was always something I loved doing growing up, and baseball is something we both share a love for, this one wins for me. It really hits home with family and the romantic love affair with America and Baseball.

For comedies, man, tough again. I'd have to go Major League, but I love Bull Durham. That said, I feel like Bad News Bears is given the win a lot of times too. I have not seen it for so long. I might watch that again here soon so that I can see if it realistically holds up to the others for me.

Others:

Sandlot - so good - brings back child hood and my love for baseball. Seemed like we played every day in our backyards with the neighbor kids growing up.

League of Their Own - Just a great all around Movie

Money Ball - Solid

Fever Pitch - It's corny at times, but what a great year to shoot that film. I like it.

For the Love of the Game - Again, love story gets in the way, but there is some good stuff in there.

Baseball - Ken Burns - Had to throw this in there. Nothing gets me more excited for the baseball season then watching this in March. So good.

Honestly, I think a lot of people love Major League because Ueker is in it, filmed in Milwaukee, etc. But if you really look at it obectively, it's a really bad movie. Not a fan of Filed of Dreams either, just too drawn out, sappy, and Costner really bugs me- but that's personal prederence of course.

I like Sandlot, Bad News Bears (the original) and The Rookie, but Money Ball is probably my favorite.

For me it's either the Sandlot or Field of Dreams but I'm not able to decide which.

Field of Dreams has the "catch" moment at the end which gets me every single time.

I quote the Sandlot more than any other movie.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Major League was a movie I loved when it came out(but I was in my late teens so what did I know). I bought it out of the five dollar bin at Walmart, came home popped it in the DVD player and was really disappointed. Not sure what I saw in it. Felt the same about the Natural.

Rookie of the year was always a favorite of mine.

The Rookie was ok but not a big fan of Dennis Quaid

Did not like Field of Dreams as a kid but it grew on me later in life.

No love for Mr 3000

I enjoyed Moneyball but did not like Brad Pitt as Billy Beane or the guy who played Art Howe

Any time I come across "Eight Men Out" on the TV, I end up watching it. Watching "The Natural" is my pre-Opening Day ritual. Kind of a tie between them.

Not a best film, but "61*" was good. Probably gets overlooked because it was made for HBO and it wasn't a tour de force like Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary series.

Maybe not the best ever, but here are some others that I have always liked:

Chasing 3000 - About 2 boys wishing to see Clemente getting his 3000th hit live!

Hustle (HBO Pete Rose story)

Cobb - I love this movie. It's dark, and doesn't paint Cobb as much of a good guy, but a great watch anyway.

Everyone's Hero - Kids movie, but worth the watch.

Mr. Baseball - Selleck as a player playing in Japan. Some funny stuff in this one.

Bad News Bears in Breaking Training - If you like the original with Mathaeu and Tatum Oneil, you have to see this one. Do not waste your time on The one where they go to Japan though, it's horrible.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Worst baseball movie - The Scout

Saw this for the first time 4 or 5 months ago. I couldn't sleep one night and turned on the TV and this was on. It was like a bad car wreck that I could not turn away from. I watched it from beginning to end...I thought that it had to get better at some point..it didn't.

Really a shame, because I have always been a fan of Albert Brooks. It was hard to see him in such a horrible movie.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have never really liked "the Natural."

I am in the minority for sure, but I recently bought it so I could see it again and hopefully this time it would take. It didn't, and is already gone from my collection.

Talent for the Game was meh....

Others not yet mentioned:

Benchwarmers has it's moments.

Bleecher Bums is crap.

The Fan is worth seeing, but you only have to see it once.

The Final Season was just ok.

Hardball I enjoyed quite a bit, but if you hate Keaneu Reeves, your opinion won't change after seeing this one.

Major League II is surely no Major League I but worth the watch.

Major League III : Back to the Minors is a stinker.

Mr. Destiny is awesome! Love the concept!

Soul of the Game is also very good, but no need to see it twice.

I really liked Summer Catch when I saw it in the theater, haven't watched it since though.

Honestly, I think a lot of people love Major League because Ueker is in it, filmed in Milwaukee, etc. But if you really look at it obectively, it's a really bad movie.

I completely disagree with this take.

This is probably my most quoted movie of all time. It is a classic in my humble opinion...

Bad New Bears is great so is Bull Durham. I still think there's a lot of fantastic one liners in Major League that I'll be quoting for a lifetime.

I agree with everyone who said Field Of Dreams, its a little corny, but when the two play catch at the end, the water works get put on full blast. Even the scene with Moonlight Graham knowing he can't return to the field gets me.

Looks like most of the bases have been covered here but a few I haven't seen mentioned that are definitely worth a watch are The Bingo Long Traveling All Stars & Motor Kings, Little Big League, Rookie of the Year and Pelotero; which is a documentary on baseball in DR that focuses on Miguel Sano.

While some may disagree, I know others on here have lamented (as have I) that the movie "Long Gone" is unavailable on DVD. Luckily, someone has uploaded it to YouTube in .avi format. This makes me happy.

Thanks Nottso for posting the link and introducing me to this unknown baseball movie gem! I just watched the movie for the first time and agree it was one of the all time greats!

Archived