Brewer Fanatic

Fox sports girls?

DHonks
I can't believe they refer to them as "girls". What is this 1960? Did Roger Sterling come up with that one?

I suppose it beats Fox Sports Chicks or Fox Sports Babes...marginally.

The "Girls" are kind of another reason why if I'm not at the ballpark, I prefer to follow games by radio. Trenni brought the most overall value to the FSWisconsin sideline efforts, by far, and everyone else since (male and female) has paled in comparison for me. Sophia is not the valley of the shadow of death that Ann Carroll* was when she was on the Wisconsin team, but she often doesn't seem very enthusiastic. Then again, at least she's not overly enthusiastic.

*Ah, geez, it turns out Ann Carroll faced/beat ovarian cancer when she was a teenager, so picking on her doesn't even feel right anymore: Link

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turn on any sports broadcast/news outlet these days and chances are good that you'll see a fetching gal or two. Gone are the days of sports broadcasts dominated by middle-aged men in sweaters and blazers. In this particular instance... personally I'd rather watch these ladies promote upcoming broadcasts than Augie and Jim Pashcke, but that's just me... As for Sophia, she struggles here and there, and her heavy Sconniette accent is a bit grating at times... but since she's pretty new, I'm willing to give her a chance.

As an aside, the website asks these women if they prefer a "MAC" or PC? In all uppercase, MAC stands for "media access control" and refers to computer network addresses. The computer is spelled "Mac," with the second two letters in lowercase.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/gif/1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.gif

...I just wish they didn't show up 3 times during each commercial break. That frequent a deployment is more annoying to me than the core concept.

Ive been watching FSN Prime Ticket during the Dodgers series and have only seen the Prime Ticket "girl" 2-3 times during the entire broadcast. In moderation its fine, every other commercial is a bit annoying.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Wait, wait, wait, the Fox Sports girls only appear during commercial breaks?

If so, I can't fathom how this could possibly be a problem to anyone. I mean, are you really yearning for a few more seconds of a Menards commercial?

I don't see the issue either to be honest. They are attractive girls who flash on the screen for literally a few seconds at a time. They aren't obnoxious in any way, and are just a flash of eye candy.

Just don't see the reason for a 3 page thread about the horrors of attractive women.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

They are attractive girls who flash on the screen for literally a few seconds at a time. They aren't obnoxious in any way, and are just a flash of eye candy.

You do realize that for many people who have a problem with them, part of why they have that problem is that these women are being used as simply eye candy?

I agree that ultimately they aren't that big of a deal one way or the other, but I do find them tedious & annoying.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I can't believe they refer to them as "girls". What is this 1960? Did Roger Sterling come up with that one?

I suppose it beats Fox Sports Chicks or Fox Sports Babes...marginally.

[sarcasm]But it doesn't beat Fox Sports Broads![/sarcasm]

As far as the viewership statistics for women, there are A LOT of old ladies who watch/listen to most games. I'd even venture to say that in the 60+ demographic there are more women fans than men. I don't know any exact numbers but it seems this way to me.

I'm also highly skeptical of that 47% poll number. I did a search and could not come up with that number anywhere. I did find on Gallop's site this poll from 2002:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/6745/Baseball-Fan-Numbers-Steady-Decline-May-Pending.aspx

This shows a steady increase in women baseball fans from 1937-2002 from 27% to 37%. Hard to believe that percentage would shoot up another 10% in only 10 years.

Still I was surprised to see that more than 1/3 of baseball fans are women. I'm not being sexist, just that in my experience I know very few women that are baseball fans.

Still, with 1/3 of their viewership, you would think baseball would try to focus more on women. The fox sports girls are not a good start to that.

I personally don't have a problem with them but don't see how they increase viewership. By the way, is it me or do the Fox sports girls wear way too much makeup?

This is a stat that can never be proven. But I do think the % of women is higher than you think. Look around you next time you go to a Brewer Game. It really isn't that far off from 50/50. Now, you may dismiss this as women/girls just going along with their SO's. That are just casual fans, etc. Well, the same can be said for a high percentage of MALES that go to games. You know, the guys behind you who have no clue about baseball? They are there to party, or came as a group outing, etc. So I'm not sure the number of female baseball fans is much lower than males.

I don't see how the FSN girls are sexist. Ladies watching the games have gotten years of enjoying the sexiest men alive in Jerry Augustine and Bill Schroeder. It's time for us guys to finally have some eye candy to look at...

I'm also highly skeptical of that 47% poll number. I did a search and could not come up with that number anywhere. I did find on Gallop's site this poll from 2002:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/6745/Baseball-Fan-Numbers-Steady-Decline-May-Pending.aspx

This shows a steady increase in women baseball fans from 1937-2002 from 27% to 37%. Hard to believe that percentage would shoot up another 10% in only 10 years.

Still I was surprised to see that more than 1/3 of baseball fans are women. I'm not being sexist, just that in my experience I know very few women that are baseball fans.

Still, with 1/3 of their viewership, you would think baseball would try to focus more on women. The fox sports girls are not a good start to that.

I personally don't have a problem with them but don't see how they increase viewership. By the way, is it me or do the Fox sports girls wear way too much makeup?

This is a stat that can never be proven. But I do think the % of women is higher than you think. Look around you next time you go to a Brewer Game. It really isn't that far off from 50/50. Now, you may dismiss this as women/girls just going along with their SO's. That are just casual fans, etc. Well, the same can be said for a high percentage of MALES that go to games. You know, the guys behind you who have no clue about baseball? They are there to party, or came as a group outing, etc. So I'm not sure the number of female baseball fans is much lower than males.

I've worked in many different office environments over the last 25 years. In just about everyone of them there was a group of males who would gather around drinking their morning coffee and discussing in detail the ups and downs, manager decisions, different plays, injuries, etc of last nights game or baseball in general. I have to say, I have yet to see a group of women do this in an office.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The survey seems to be one where people self-identify as fans, so that's going to include people who are diehard every night, daily fantasy league types and someone who went to one game last year on a free ticket and had a nice time.

My wife says she loves baseball, and she does, but she wouldn't know who to pick for an All Star ballot, or know who Kyle Lohse is.

I've worked in many different office environments over the last 25 years. In just about everyone of them there was a group of males who would gather around drinking their morning coffee and discussing in detail the ups and downs, manager decisions, different plays, injuries, etc of last nights game or baseball in general. I have to say, I have yet to see a group of women do this in an office.

That's because a lot of people, and yes maybe women in particular, can be huge fans but don't dig into stats, strategy, etc. Personally, I don't think that makes someone less of a fan. Others have mentioned their wives, and mine is a huge fan (watches almost every game) as and still doesn't understand what a hit and run means. Now, how can you watch 150 games a year and not understand or want to understand the game in great in detail? I do not know.

Archived