Brewer Fanatic

Fox sports girls?

DHonks
Nothing could make me turn on the golf channel.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It could always be worse. They could have FSN Wisconsin Boys. If you read their bios it has silly questions on there such as "what qualities do you look for in a man" and "whats your idea of a romantic date". Its obvious this was done by the RSNs to increase male viewership which I'd assume isnt a problem. Im also thinking their names are just stage names too. I find it kind of odd that they all would have uncommon names. I know several female bartenders who have a "bar name" to keep the creepy drunks from stalking them,etc.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

I know several female bartenders who have a "bar name" to keep the creepy drunks from stalking them,etc.

Does it work? Do you stop stalking them? ; )

Only when they get those pesky cops involved. :) (But seriously, there are like 3 bars in my first due area at work and we run assault calls there quite often,thats how I know their real names, not much of a drinker myself)

Formerly AirShuttle6104

the Fox Sports Wisconsin girls is the most sexist thing to come out of Brewers telecasts since Bill Schroeder's commercial for jewelry with Keith Tozer. "You're not the only one who likes to spoil your wife." Ridiculous. It's 2013 people.

Its obvious this was done by the RSNs to increase male viewership which I'd assume isnt a problem.

If this was FSN's reasoning behind it - I just don't get the idea how the three ladies highlighted would increase viewership. People either like the sports and will tune in or they won't watch the Brewers/Bucks telecasts.

Just seems to be a gimmick that really doesn't have any substance to it.

It isn't like they have these girls running around in bikini's. They have 5 second audio spots of no real importance. Pretty tame for nowadays. I wonder how much they paid these women to basically just sit in front of a camera and say " This is Fox Sports Wisconsin"? Probably a pretty sweet gig.

It isn't like they have these girls running around in bikini's. They have 5 second audio spots of no real importance. Pretty tame for nowadays. I wonder how much they paid these women to basically just sit in front of a camera and say " This is Fox Sports Wisconsin"? Probably a pretty sweet gig.

Agreed.

I'm generally a prude, but I don't see these spots as distasteful or objectifying at all. They're cheerful and cute, and the girl with the brown hair has a noticeable Wisconsin accent, which I find charming.

I hadn't really even noticed them or given it much thought until seeing some half hearted complaints on here. Just seems like usual filler for the bump to and from commercials or wherever they place them in the broadcast. It's not like they have bikini clad lingerie models breathlessly asking viewers to watch the Brewers. Pretty innocuous stuff in my mind. If it wasn't them it would Craig Coshun or Davey Nelson or a dancing robot, filling that 10 second spot.

I agree the brunette "Sage" is very attractive (that's like...my opinion, man) but they are indeed pointless to the point of hitting my head against the wall. All FS does is tells these girls to try their hardest to say the promo without moving their face (don't stop smiling girls!).

My main issue is that they hire these girls and Sophia, and yet still have Davey Nelson, Jerry Augustine, and Telly Hughes employed. These guys are the absolute worst of the worst. Davey Nelson has been doing this job for at least 5 seasons now and still can't complete a coherent thought on air. Augustine regurgitates the most inane cliche babble constantly. And when he's doing play by play it's even worse (watch a T-Rats game and find out).

Then there's Telly, my goodness what can I even say about this guy. He literally gets tossed a segment in which sometimes he's not even on the screen so he's clearly reading off of a card/teleprompter and he cannot even complete the sentence without stumbling. I'm not looking for perfection out of these guys (it is FSWisconsin) but some improvement would be nice. Coshun is good (not on play by play), Concannon is good, and they've had others who weren't bad.

TL;DR Me ranting about the mediocrity from everyone not named Anderson or Coshun on FSW

Not only does Augustine regurgitate the inane cliche babble, he does it in possibly the most annoying accent ever known. Hey der, Jerry Augustine here fer Fox Sports Wisconsin. Dat last pitch right der was really good.

This is why I didn't go into sports broadcasting. Former pro athletes who talk like Mushmouth and pretty long blonde haired women are hired long before competent, knowledgeable male non-former-athlete journalists.

This is why I didn't go into sports broadcasting.

No reason to limit it to sports broadcasting. Maybe I'm jaded from living in LA, but there's nobody on TV that is there because of what they know. It's all connections and looks. And having grown up in Milwaukee, the LA double baggers are Ms Wisconsin winners.....

And the Golf Channel still exists?

Someone summed it up pretty well back in 2011 regarding the FSN Florida Girls.

http://www.raysindex.com/2012/08/my-problem-with-the-fox-sports-florida-girls.html

According to recent statistics, women make up 46% of baseball fans. For you non-math majors, that’s almost half.

Regardless of whether or not you believe the Fox sports girls are sexist, there is no possible way that you can believe this stat is correct. Who came up with this stat and how? By measuring the percentage of women attending baseball games? Many are there with their baseball fan boyfriends or with larger "not necessarily baseball fan" groups. Think of all the people you know that are baseball fans. I'm not talking about the "Yeah, I like baseball" people, I mean people who actually watch baseball on TV on a regular basis and can name more baseball players than just the top 2 or 3 stars on the local team.

There is no way that you will ever get me to believe that 46% of all baseball fans are women. It's probably closer to 20%.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't believe they refer to them as "girls". What is this 1960? Did Roger Sterling come up with that one?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm also highly skeptical of that 47% poll number. I did a search and could not come up with that number anywhere. I did find on Gallop's site this poll from 2002:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/6745/Baseball-Fan-Numbers-Steady-Decline-May-Pending.aspx

This shows a steady increase in women baseball fans from 1937-2002 from 27% to 37%. Hard to believe that percentage would shoot up another 10% in only 10 years.

Still I was surprised to see that more than 1/3 of baseball fans are women. I'm not being sexist, just that in my experience I know very few women that are baseball fans.

Still, with 1/3 of their viewership, you would think baseball would try to focus more on women. The fox sports girls are not a good start to that.

I personally don't have a problem with them but don't see how they increase viewership. By the way, is it me or do the Fox sports girls wear way too much makeup?

I've been watching the games, and I must not be paying much attention because I've never noticed the "Fox Girls." Maybe I'm that good at tuning out commercial breaks.

Are these the women whose spots have them say stuff like "You're watching the Brewers on Fox Sports Wisconsin"? If so, that's pretty innocuous, unless some spots go beyond that in a way that could be deemed inappropriate.

However, the website is another matter. Borrowing a word from the Florida Fox Sports Girls article, the website makes them out to be "mascots."

As an aside, the website asks these women if they prefer a "MAC" or PC? In all uppercase, MAC stands for "media access control" and refers to computer network addresses. The computer is spelled "Mac," with the second two letters in lowercase.

As far as Sophia goes, I consider her to be "just there." She's a body that can be located where she's needed and a mouth to report a few things or ask some questions. I don't see her really bringing a particular talent to the table, but she doesn't turn me off like an Ann Carroll or a Bob Brainerd.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived