Brewer Fanatic

Behold the Talents of Jean Segura

Eye Black

Great piece...7 tool player, that's awesome.

This kid does something special every night. The energy he brings has to be the highlight of a dreary 2013 (along with the rise of Gomez). He's so easy to root for.

My younger daughter has adopted Jean as her new favorite player now that Prince is gone...I quote, "Wow, Daddy, he's fast"

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Anyone know where his condo/apartment is? I couldn't place it. I assume it's east side, downtown.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think my favorite part about Segura is the look on his face after making the great play. He smiles like a 12 year old who impresses everyone including himself with his talents.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Jean: Hey, speak slow because you speak fast.

Rickie: You listen too slow.

:laughing

I dunno which was better. The above quote or the "7 tool player" bit by Ramirez. Excellent piece.

Well the Giants are more well known than the Brewers. Heck, I bet that there are some people out there who can't figure out which region of the U.S Milwaukee is located in.

I can attest to that. When I travel and say I am from Milwaukee, I get the blank stare back at me. So I always follow it up with, "about 2 hours north of Chicago" ... then I get the "ooooohhhhhhhh, ok."

Current OPS:

.889 Jean Segura

.585 Starlin Castro

Amazing.

This is just another sign that he needs to get a long term deal asap. His deal is going to surpass Castros deal.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

• 2 months later...

2nd Half OPS: Segura: .587, Castro: .596

What is wrong with Jean?

And "He's just tired" isn't a sufficient answer. He's 23, he shouldn't get tired, ever.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

What is wrong with Jean?

And "He's just tired" isn't a sufficient answer. He's 23, he shouldn't get tired, ever.

Yeah, because playing baseball almost every day for 170+ days consecutively doesn't have a cumulative effect...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What is wrong with Jean?

Yeah, because playing baseball almost every day for 170+ days consecutively doesn't have a cumulative effect...

When you're 23? No, it really doesn't. It's baseball. It's not like he's running 12 miles a day, or running into 300 lb defensive lineman. If he isn't taking care of his body and he's tired or injured as a result, that's a problem going forward. It's not like he hasn't gotten days off. He's not-started 7 games already this season -- 5% of the year.

So, if he's tired is the excuse, then what does the team do next year? Start him 130 games instead of 150? Stop letting him hang out with Yuni?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Stop letting him hang out with Yuni?

YES. this is obviously the problem.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I saw this coming a mile away. He's played 133 of 137 games. Around the all-star break I suggested that the Brewers give him more time off. They haven't and the results are predictable.

Keep in mind that Segura has never played as much baseball as he has in the last year and a half. He played last season up through the end of September and then played Winter Ball. Not much time off. Hopefully this winter he skip winter ball but I doubt he will.

What is wrong with Jean?

When you're 23? No, it really doesn't. It's baseball. It's not like he's running 12 miles a day, or running into 300 lb defensive lineman. If he isn't taking care of his body and he's tired or injured as a result, that's a problem going forward. It's not like he hasn't gotten days off. He's not-started 7 games already this season -- 5% of the year.

So, if he's tired is the excuse, then what does the team do next year? Start him 130 games instead of 150? Stop letting him hang out with Yuni?

Mental fatigue can play an even bigger role than any physical fatigue (or lack thereof).

If fatigue as a whole played the seemingly minimal role you're implying it has (or should have wrt Segura), every player would be consistent from week to week & month to month.

Like Gomez he had started with 3 fantastic months. Then both regressed. Fans and press remember early season performance, so these guys are lucky in that regard.

Frankly, I think it's because early (somewhat sustained) success 'hides' your struggles in the season line. For example, the casual fan will glance & see that Segura's AVG is still over .300, & come to the conclusion that he's hit well all season.

When you start out by struggling but then recover & heat up, it can take so long for your season line to reflect the improvement that many/most fans are slower to notice it than in the opposite scenario.

Just for comparison sake on these worries.

Troy Tulowitzki on June 9th had this season line: .351/.419/.654 in 234PAs 16HRs 51RBI

Since: .265/.346/.420 in 182PAs. 6HR 18RBI

Yes that's still a decent slash line for a SS but how bout one that calls Coors Field home? Keep in mind Tulo has 0! Triples...How many could Segura have driving balls in to the spacious OF of Coors? Much less Doubles. Or random HRs each month.

I'd think Segura's struggles since his early beginning to the season would at least equal the struggles Tulo has been having since his early tear. I'm not worried about Segura one bit.

lol at not being allowed to get a bit worn out just because someone's 23.

So, only young guys under 25 get worn out from the long season? How come veteran players don't get the excuse "He's just tired"?

I guess I was hoping for too much as I've been unable to watch games for 6 weeks, I figured this board might actually supply a bit of insight.

Archived