Brewer Fanatic

Behold the Talents of Jean Segura

Eye Black
Community Moderator
Stud! He is so fun to have on the team. I know we aren't playing great right now, but we sure have some fun guys to cheer for like Jean. I was more on the wait and sign him in another year or so, but his play is making me lean towards doing it sooner.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Would you rather the Brewers have Jean Segura or Starlin Castro? I think most would take Segura, which is amazing given Castro's pedigree/hype.

Castro signed a seven year $60 million contract last year, which bought out four arbitration seasons and three free agent seasons.

I was a fan of Castro his first season. But ever since he rubbed me the wrong way as being less than 100% effort when he plays. I see him as being the type of player now that has a goal in mind of 15hrs and maybe 15-25SBs and has no want to exceed it using his talent every single PA. He seems to eat up poor pitchers but has mild PA vs. better ones. And Wow, he's worse this year looking at his numbers than expected!

Segura's 3SBs a couple nights ago followed with HR last night and continual .350+Avg, he's just providing 100% effort and use of his talent. It's like a 2nd Gomez only more talented with less cockiness. Which is like Braun. It's almost like the club got a mixed clone between Gomez and Braun to play SS! Yikes!

Segura is one of the few reasons to tune in and watch this team on a daily basis.

Every single night he gives you, at the very least, one defensive play that made it worth your time to watch. I love this guy... his defense is unreal.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Question: Would you rather the Brewers have Jean Segura or Starlin Castro? I think most would take Segura, which is amazing given Castro's pedigree/hype.

Castro signed a seven year $60 million contract last year, which bought out four arbitration seasons and three free agent seasons.

Segura but mostly because of the defensive side of things. I think Castro ends up being a 20+ HR guy who hits .300. He is not a good defensive SS though.

To put it in context as to how good of a start Segura has had this season so far: He is on pace for 31 HR's, 57 SB's, 13 Triples a .359 BA and .994 OPS

That is incredible! Is that sustainable? I doubt it, but there is no doubt that he is a very good player

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Offensively they may well end up putting up similar slash lines, but Segura looks like a far better defender.

Offensively Segura looks to me to have the potential to be better than Castro and much more valuable on the bases

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

We seem to still have people here who are not on the Segura train...

WOOOOO! WOOOOOO!

Kid is for real, and it isn't even close in my eyes which player between he and Castro.

JEAN!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That may be so. They're both the same age so I expect they'll both develop a bit more power. It's hard to know how much power Segura has right now but based on what we've seen it wouldn't surprise me if he has a bit more than Castro, who hit 14 HR's last season. Their plate discipline numbers look very similar (OSWING, ZSWING, etc.), but Segura has been better at drawing walks so far (7% vs. 5%).

It's people like Jean Segura that make me love baseball. He has become "must see TV" when he plays.

As of now, 13 SB and only 2 caught stealing. That's ridiculous.

My concern is that he will wear down in the second half due his winter ball play this last offseason, and generally not having played this much baseball before.

• 2 weeks later...

No bump after the kids gets 6 hits in a game? Now leads the league in ave and is probably a lock for the all star game.

If Jean keeps playing like this in his first full year it is going to awfully tough for him to live up the expectations in Year #2 and beyond. Just an incredible trade thus far. He, Gomez, and Braun are basically the only reasons I am watching the games anymore

When was he last Brewer with a six hit game? My memory may be fuzzy but I don't recall one in recent years.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

When was he last Brewer with a six hit game? My memory may be fuzzy but I don't recall one in recent years.

There have only been two others in franchise history. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130529&content_id=48939422&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Only two other Brewers in the franchise's 45 seasons have had six hits in a game: Johnny Briggs on Aug. 4, 1973, at Cleveland and Kevin Reimer on Aug. 24, 1993, vs. Oakland.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Arguably Braun is the least deserving candidate for the Al-star game off the Brewers. Almost as crazy is that we truly have 3 deserving All-stars and still such a bad record. With as weak as 3rd base is without the injury Aramis could have almost been a 4th.

That would have been one heck of a trivia question. No one in a million years could have gotten that without having to look it up. I forgot Kevin Reimer ever existed

I got the Briggs half of the answer in seconds. I knew it was in Cleveland against the Indians too. I actually remember watching that game (in Fondy btw fondybrewerfan) as he was my favorite Brewer at the time. Briggs didn't need 14 innings either. He did in in 9, but needed a nice 5 run 9th inning to get his 6th AB.

Briggs was batting leadoff that day (good move by Crandall given Johnny's OB skills). He led off with a single to right. doubled in the 2nd, singled in the 4th and 6th and then doubled in the 8th to get to 5 for 5. All 5 of those were off Dick Tidrow. You could say #12 owned Tidrow that day. He capped off his afternoon with a single off of Jerry Johnson in the 9th. Amazingly despite the 6 hits, Briggs didn't drive in a single run that day, and scored just twice.

Community Moderator

Cool quote from Gardy. Made me smile.

"Oh my, goodness gracious, he hits about everything you throw up there," Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire said of Segura. "The guy's got one of the shortest, compact swings you've ever seen in your life and he seems to be on everything."

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2013/05/29/jean-segura-gets-six-hits-brewers-still-lose-in-14-innings/#ixzz2Ui5k7Ba8

• 3 weeks later...
Community Moderator

I apologize if this was already posted somewhere earlier this week, but I am just now catching up on all things baseball. This Segura story from MLB Network is excellent for those who may have missed it. Aramis Ramirez explaining why Segura is "a 7-tool player" warms the cockles of my heart, and then some. If you haven't already, WATCH IT!...

Jean Segura on MLB Network

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I apologize if this was already posted somewhere earlier this week, but I am just now catching up on all things baseball. This Segura story from MLB Network is excellent for those who may have missed it. Aramis Ramirez explaining why Segura is "a 7-tool player" warms the cockles of my heart, and then some. If you haven't already, WATCH IT!...

Jean Segura on MLB Network

I had not seen that. Thanks for posting. Great piece. Hopefully Jean gets to be an all star

I really will be pleasantly surprised if Segura is a .325-ish true talent hitter, but I think it's a little early to assume he is. However, I could definitely see him annually in the .290-.310 range, & even developing a bit more HR power as he moves further into his mid-20s.

His defense is truly stellar. There is literally no part to his defensive skillset that has potential to improve more than marginally. I would tune in just to watch him play even if he was sporting a .230 AVG.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived