Brewer Fanatic

Behold the Talents of Jean Segura

Eye Black
To nitpick further Weeks was #2 in a really bad draft class. You have to go to pick 13 to find a 'star' and that is Aaron Hill who still hasn't been a consistent star. Nobody in the 1st round of that draft has been a consistent star level player since.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to lock up Jean and then give him the speech that I wish Jenkins, Belliard, and countless others should have heard. That is, "kid, we're happy with how you play. We're paying you to keep this approach. You've got plenty of natural power, we don't want you to try to hit homers." I always felt like the desire of those others to be bigger power hitters really cost them avg, obp, and K's.

His emergence has easily been the highlight of the season so far. What a joy it is to watch him play in every aspect of the game, especially defensively. I'm blown away at how he's been doing it all at shortstop. He makes all of the routine plays. Shows fabulous range going to his left, right, and charging in on weak hit balls. Has not only a good arm, but he's consistently accurate also.

Mix in he's been surprisingly really good at the plate already and has great speed on the bases, there isn't a single tool he lacks except i guess big time power and even on that front, his power should end up being up average for a shortstop.

That all of his homers have been to center or right has been the most amazing thing to me...if he started to pull the ball with the same compact power he's shown the other way, he could be a 25-30 homer guy----with his hit skill and his speed, he could be an mvp candidate....unreal.

i don't know how to project this guy...he's been able to do anything so far this year

I don't see him as a 25 to 30 HR guy, but even at around 20, with his speed and ability, that's one heck of a player. It's not "one of Melvin's better moves", it's his best without equivocation and he's part of the reason I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this season. He and Aoki at the top of the order is an awesome combo, that can create havoc.

Greinke is clearly the better pitcher. I'd slow down all the "we got the better end of the trade" stuff.

What? We got 6 years of a potential star cost-controlled shortstop. We also got a couple other "potential" pitching pieces. The Angels got 2 months of a pitcher, didn't even make the playoffs, and lost the pitcher for nothing.

I'm stunned that anyone could argue that we didn't destroy the Angels in this trade.

The guy hit like one ball to the warning track last year and looked like he was swinging a wet newspaper. How could he have gotten so much better after one offseason? Unbelievable.

I don't have any explanation for this, but the same thing happened to Mike Trout. His 2011 season was pretty "meh" and nothing special. Just like Segura last year.

I don't know if my anecdote means anything but it's interesting to dream about what might be happening.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The guy hit like one ball to the warning track last year and looked like he was swinging a wet newspaper. How could he have gotten so much better after one offseason? Unbelievable.

I don't have any explanation for this, but the same thing happened to Mike Trout. His 2011 season was pretty "meh" and nothing special. Just like Segura last year.

I don't know if my anecdote means anything but it's interesting to dream about what might be happening.

see above

Greinke is clearly the better pitcher. I'd slow down all the "we got the better end of the trade" stuff.

Can Jean Segura pitch?

Something tells me the Angels are wishing this trade hadn't gone through:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=1&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

What? We got 6 years of a potential star cost-controlled shortstop. We also got a couple other "potential" pitching pieces. The Angels got 2 months of a pitcher, didn't even make the playoffs, and lost the pitcher for nothing.

I'm stunned that anyone could argue that we didn't destroy the Angels in this trade.

http://i.imgur.com/tJIPV.gif

I'm a little surprised they are approaching it this early, although with each passing game by Segura it becomes a lot less surprising.

I'm guessing they offered him a very team-friendly deal, like 9 years, $40-45M, hoping he would bite on the security.

So Segura is probably torn between the security offered by the deal and protection against any injury or decline, versus the knowledge that he will be worth a lot more than this in 6 years if he continues to perform like he has.

It takes most MLB players, even the great ones, a year or two to adjust to the speed of the Major League game. Segura's no exception. He's kept working (remember, he won the Dominican Winter League batting title, so he's been working in the offseason, too). There are very few great hitters that just come out and dominate right out of the box.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I knew it! It made way too much sense to do it. However, they might have waited a little too long or not have been serious enough a month ago, and that probably cost them. When I said that the Brewers should have done it after a "total" of 219 MLB AB's I was basically saying they need to get this done Immediately, "before Segura knows what he's capable of." That's my direct quote. I don't know what he will get now. Tulo got 31 million, which was the largest contract ever for a player with less than 2 years of service time. Segura could beat that.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

If Segura agrees to a long-term deal at any point in the next year, I'll be thrilled. Even if the price winds up being higher than it might have been at one point or another, the team will have a young star locked up for quite a while.

May we have five more guys like Segura please?

Something mentioned in that Rosenthal article caught my eye. Jean sends money back home every month to his family in the Dominican Republic. There's a very good possibility he looks for long term security.

But regardless of what might happen with locking him up long term or not, the more I see him play, and the more I read about him, the more I like Jean Segura. He's got a great smile, and it's always on display. What a nice young man. We're lucky to have him.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Dare I say....man crush? :laughing

I tell you guys, as much as I like winning, getting World Series and Super Bowl victories as a huge Brewer and Packer fan, if we can't win it all, having players that are exciting to watch makes for great entertainment value. And that's why I watch.

When Carlos Gomez hits a home run, and zooms around the bases in 5 seconds, I giggle like a little kid. When Ryan Braun hits a ball to Sheboygan, I whoop and holler. And I find myself clapping an awful lot when the ball is anywhere near Jean Segura, regardless if he's holding a bat or a glove in his hands.

Archived