Brewer Fanatic

2013-04-23 Brewers (Gallardo) at Padres (Richard), 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-3]

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not as much about protection for Braun as it is about having competent hitters up with RISP.

Weeks in this short season already has had 52 runners on base with only 3 RBIs

And MANY of those runners on base were passed onto Lucroy.... who is batting 4th today. That is why I am suggesting that swapping 4/5 hitters is not a huge deal.

And here, the newly protected Braun is getting intentionally walked. I am happy to see this as intentionally loading the bases is always a bad idea.

It is not always a bad idea, just mostly. 2 outs R2 R3 it is clearly better to walk the 8 hitter to get to Ben Sheets

OK, fair enough :)

Simply put, he isn't getting anything to hit. If you don't think pitchers approach him differently with world beaters Greg Dobbs and Placido Polanco batting behind him, I don't know what to tell you.

Wow, I didn't realize Harold Reynolds posted here. An IBB with 2 outs is almost never the right choice unless you have the pitcher or maybe Alex Gonzalez coming up next.

Didn't know Dobbs and Polanco played FOR the Brewers. Good call, Ennder.

What do I have to put up? I'll put up a dog that eats all your toilet paper or a old Gauntlet machine that has a broken "Elf" but could easily be fixed as he only needs food badly.

Wow, that brings back some childhood memories. :laughing

"Clayton Richard, your life force is running out."

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Man I feel bad for weeks. Good at bat, good contact, right at em. When you're cold you're cold.

He nutted that pitch. If he keeps making contact like that, they'll start falling in for him.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Aramis will be back in a week and be hitting after Braun. He OPS'ed .900 last year. We'll be just fine there. Lucroy will do in the meantime.

I can't wait. Neither Lucroy or Weeks should be batting 4th and I hope that is something we can all agree on.

i just want the Brewers to stay a couple of games above .500 until they can get to full strength, offensively. Five weeks is a long time, however.

Carlos Gomez is a young superstar now? LOL.

Aramis will be back in a week and be hitting after Braun. He OPS'ed .900 last year. We'll be just fine there. Lucroy will do in the meantime.

I can't wait. Neither Lucroy or Weeks should be batting 4th and I hope that is something we can all agree on.

i just want the Brewers to stay a couple of games above .500 until they can get to full strength, offensively. Five weeks is a long time, however.

AGREED!

So the key factor is the difference in wOBA or OPS between the players, clearly going from a regular to a pitcher is enough to justify it, so what is the break even point? Because Braun > Lucroy actually represents a pretty big difference.

Braun has a .995 OPS over the past 3 seasons, Lucroy is a career .737, 258 point difference, which is not that much different than say Gomez vs an average hitting pitcher

Yovani is really off tonight.

Gomez 1-1

Betancourt 1-1

Gonzalez 1-1

When was the last time that happened?

8 games ago, who thought the Brewers could be a win away from tied for second place on 4/23?

I was really scared that the team could potentially bury itself so far in April that it would take the fun out of the rest of the year. Who could have seen this long winning streak coming?

Archived