Brewer Fanatic

Brewer contracts - Good deals/bad deals

adambr2

Good deals:

Braun, Lucroy, Aoki

Braun's original deal was an outstanding bargain, but even his new "career" extension is reasonable, especially when you consider inflation adjustments. Even $19M a year from 2016-2018 is a small price to pay for a franchise player, assuming his production doesn't drop off as he enters his 30's.

Lucroy is looking like a very cheap deal signed at the right time for us. Even the team option for 2017 is just $5.25M.

Aoki makes about as much as a bench player. We hit with that one. I've heard he has a team option for next year for another reasonable price, but this isn't indicated in the Brewerfan.net salaries page, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Bad deals:

Axford

$5M for a first year arby 7th inning reliever? Though that wasn't the intent at the time, this did seem like an overpay especially considering last season. Looking at the rest of the roster, it's hard to find anything that really stands out as a big overpay. I know that everything about Weeks screams that he's overpaid, but really, he's pretty close to market for a second baseman of his caliber.

Guys like Gallardo, Hart, Lohse, Ramirez, are well-compensated, but not overpaid in relation to their market value. Guys like Segura are obviously fantastic bargains, but I don't really count them because they are just bargains because of their 0-3 status, not because we signed them to great bargains.

All in all, I've got to hand it to Doug. I've had issues with how he runs this team, but I don't really see many poor values on this roster at all. Now that we have contracts like Suppan and Hall off the books, it seems like he's done a pretty solid job managing the payroll this time around.

The Gomez deal is not better today than the day he signed it. I would take Schafer + $8.5m next year.

I'm going to flat out disagree with you. Gomez is getting better and better every year and his ceiling is sky high. Schafer is a good backup OF. His value is off the bench, which he's been really good at.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Bad Contract:

Gonzalez. How did he sign for over 4mil last season when he was just over 2mil the two years prior? Then to sit out and be signed for 1.5mil? Thats 5.7mil from the Brewers of his grand total 33mil for his career. He won't even make it 100games on the Brewers.

For some reason I originally thought he was signed for 1mil.

Agreed Axford is overpaid.

Good contract:Aoki for sure. Braun no doubt. Gallardo as mentioned is a good contract. Lucroy's deal, does he get any respect outside of Milw? Estrada has to be a great contract right?

Aoki makes about as much as a bench player. We hit with that one. I've heard he has a team option for next year for another reasonable price, but this isn't indicated in the Brewerfan.net salaries page, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yes we do have a team option for very cheap next year for 1.5 Million, the crazy thing he is arbitration eligible after next year and we can retain his rights for 3 more years if we want to. Highway robbery if you ask me.

Yes we do have a team option for very cheap next year for 1.5 Million, the crazy thing he is arbitration eligible after next year and we can retain his rights for 3 more years if we want to. Highway robbery if you ask me.

Especially considering his age.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Good - Braun, Lucroy, Gallardo, Hart, Aoki

Bad - Weeks, Either Gonzalez, possibly Axford but he was so cheap when he was dominant that I won't call bad.

Jury is still out - Lohse, Ramirez and Gomez. Ramirez obviously outperformed last year but this year and next will determine how good a deal it was.

I wish the stats said he was getting better each year. We're seeing some positive signs, but it's also a long season.

What stats are you looking at? Prior to last season, Gomez had a .357 career slugging percentage. Since then he's at .466. He used to have to bunt frequently to keep his average above .230. Now he rarely bunts, and since the start of last year he's hitting over .260. He's also facing all types of pitching now, and not sitting vs. tough RH.

Gomez has always had tremendous tools, which explains why he got to the big leagues so young. Now we're seeing the player people projected him to be. His contract is a steal.

Yuni- Good contract. For all the crap we gave Melvin about signing him this year, he has really helped this team win games. And if he returns to his Yuniness later in the year he can always be benched or DFA'd. So credit where credit is due.

I wish the stats said he was getting better each year. We're seeing some positive signs, but it's also a long season.

What stats are you looking at? Prior to last season, Gomez had a .357 career slugging percentage. Since then he's at .466. He used to have to bunt frequently to keep his average above .230. Now he rarely bunts, and since the start of last year he's hitting over .260. He's also facing all types of pitching now, and not sitting vs. tough RH.

Gomez has always had tremendous tools, which explains why he got to the big leagues so young. Now we're seeing the player people projected him to be. His contract is a steal.

plus, his patience looks a lot better this year. He's not walking a ton more, but a little more. And he's not chasing as much. Look at last night. Some of those two strike pitches low and away would have been strikeouts last year, instead he worked two at bats for walks.

last year Pujols combined offensive WAR was 3.8---Prince Fielder was 4.8

Aram came in at 5.8

so, the Brewers got Pujols+ for half the price and a third of the commitment...Aram was the best free agent signing in 2012 based on WAR, and was 14th in all of baseball

i'm not counting on aram to be as good, but he was worth 20 million last year

so, i'd say his contract is felony theft if he stays in the ballpark of what he did last year

i mean, crap, missing april wouldn't have hurt him last year either

If you're looking at his WAR, he had a WAR of 0.1 last April, so you're completely correct.

I know people like to hate on Rickie Weeks because of his (lack of) performance last year, but if you look around the league it's hard to find many second baseman who get on base and hit for power like he does. He's a top 10 second baseman every year in my eyes.

And the Gallardo contract is also a good one.

If you're looking at his WAR, he had a WAR of 0.1 last April, so you're completely correct.

I know people like to hate on Rickie Weeks because of his (lack of) performance last year, but if you look around the league it's hard to find many second baseman who get on base and hit for power like he does. He's a top 10 second baseman every year in my eyes.

And the Gallardo contract is also a good one.

But you can't ignore what Weeks did last year especially since he's off to another horrendous start. That's not "hating on him", it's pointing out the obvious. The 2nd base position isn't that strong. Weeks isn't alone in recent dropoffs. Utley and Uggla have slid in recent seasons too. but Weeks' .728 OPS last year was not strong, and he's showing no signs he's any better this year.

Even last season Weeks ranked 11th in wOBA among qualified 2B. The problem with Weeks is that he's seemed to drop off defensively over the past few years after he became a dependable defensive 2B. As somebody who generally doesn't get terribly concerned about slow starts and players looking terrible over a few weeks, he's starting to concern me quite a bit. I still don't think he's become a horrible baseball player over the offseason, but it seems far less likely now than it did last April that he'll give us another season like 2010 or 2011.

I don't believe we control Aoki after our team option. I'm fairly certain(not 100 pct, but close) that when you sign big on a Japanese player and sign them to a contract, you don't get 6 years of team control, just the contract you signed him for.

That doesn't diminish what a great deal he's been. I think the Brewers kinda blindly took a chance on Aoki and they hit big.

Gallardo is a great deal, and I always love signing young, top prospects to long term deals after they've shown they're capable.

And I totally disagree with the 8.5+Schaefer over Gomez next year. Gomez has just continued to get better. I certainly don't expect a .338 BA(I don't even expect a .338 OBP, but if he could manage that, it becomes an even better deal).

I love Weeks, and I understand he comes out well when you compare him to 2nd basemen around the league, but you have to look at consistency and he's off to his second straight season in which he's gone an extended period of time hitting .160-ish. Of course he had a great 2nd half last year, but you have to look at how a guy gets to his season numbers. Being as bad as Weeks has been early on recently skews his value IMO.

By the way, to whoever asked or suggested that Lucroy doesn't get respect outside of Wisconsin, he was on the USA would baseball team.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't believe we control Aoki after our team option. I'm fairly certain(not 100 pct, but close) that when you sign big on a Japanese player and sign them to a contract, you don't get 6 years of team control, just the contract you signed him for.

That doesn't diminish what a great deal he's been. I think the Brewers kinda blindly took a chance on Aoki and they hit big.

You must have missed this thread that answered that question (unless of course McCalvy was wrong, but I doubt it).

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=29443

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived