Brewer Fanatic

Gonzalez to Yankees?

We have plenty of guys who can play SS. If we can get anything at all for Gonzalez or Betancourt we should move them. Neither guy will be back next season. I'd shoot for a low level relief prospect with some upside, if possible.

Gonzalez needs to pick it up a tad to make himself more attractive to Yankees. But I'd make that deal regardless of what they are offering. Yuni and Bianchi make a very decent bench pair. Gonzalez was signed more as insurance if Segura fell flat and there are no signs of that whatsoever.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yuni will fall off a cliff pretty soon. Gonzalez will pick it up at some point. I'd rather have Gonzo than Yuni but I'd be fine trading either/both of them.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Gonzalez's primary value comes from his ability to play good defense at SS. He's just been mis-cast as a starting 1B/3B this season, making his poor offense look really bad. Since we have numerous SS's on the roster, I hope the Brewer Brass is at least open to the idea of discussing a trade, especially in the scenario (as the author mentioned) that the trade would occur after Bianchi or Ramirez returned. If we could get any kind of decent prospect, along with saving some money, I think it'd be worth it. We're going to have to dump someone anyways, so we might as well get something in return.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't even care if we get anything in return, the salary relief alone is worth trading him for something, ANYTHING.

I would be shocked if any team would want him to be honest, but if anyone inquires, I'd move him asap.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yuni will fall off a cliff pretty soon. Gonzalez will pick it up at some point. I'd rather have Gonzo than Yuni but I'd be fine trading either/both of them.

Very true. The Yuni love will slowly turn back into Yuni hate as soon as he comes back down to earth, just a matter of time.

He went through a few hot streaks the last time we had him too, so this really isn't out of the ordinary for him.

Gonzalez is 36 and coming off a serious injury. He never was that great a hitter and while he'll likely pick it up some, my guess is Yuni will hit better going forward too. Yuni is still in what should be his prime at 31. His numbers of a .263 BA and .290 OBP pretty much match his career numbers. His power is up and that should tail off a bit, but he showed more power in recent seasons than earlier. He's not going to keep up this RBI pace either obviously, but he's not even on a cliff, much less showing signs of falling off one.

Yuni is not good at defense, and he's 80 points over his career in slugging and 80 points over his career OPS. If he falls back to career norms that is certainly a massive drop in numbers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Are we short on bags of balls right now?

I'll kick in the cost of the bag of balls if it gets rid of Gonzalez. I wouldn't mind if there was some hustle there, but there isn't - and I don't think you can blame injuries either.

The decision on Bianchi has to be close, eh?

The old saying is trade 'em while they are hot. I would trade Yuni in a second for a decent AA SP (Pena, Nelson, Hall) prospect.

I think everyone in the league would trade Yuni for a prospect like that. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyone in the league who would trade a prospect like that for Yuni.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

My guess it this trade would involve trading one scrub for another scrub. This would mean a bench player on the Yanks with has been/never will have talent or a player who once made the team as a AAAA player and has regressed upon being sent back to AAA.

I'm good on any trade away of Alex if it means dumping the salary owed. 1mil+ may not be much but it's something.

yuni aggravates more then any player ever, but at least he tries. it sure doesnt seem like like the big salmon...or tuna.... or grouper... or whatever the hell his nickname is is doing. johnny estrada ran out ground balls better then this tool.

Yuni tries? I think that is the first time I have ever read Yuni being accused of putting forth effort.

I was going to say the same thing... I think the fact that he is on a hot streak tends to make people forget what a lazy fielder he is, and how he rarely runs the bases at 100% either.

When he comes back down to earth offensively, people will take a closer notice to his lazy fielding technique, and when he doesn't run a ball out, that will become more noticeable as well.

The smoke screen he is laying down right now is nice, but it will end, and it will end hard.

Yuni tries? I think that is the first time I have ever read Yuni being accused of putting forth effort.

I was going to say the same thing... I think the fact that he is on a hot streak tends to make people forget what a lazy fielder he is, and how he rarely runs the bases at 100% either.

When he comes back down to earth offensively, people will take a closer notice to his lazy fielding technique, and when he doesn't run a ball out, that will become more noticeable as well.

The smoke screen he is laying down right now is nice, but it will end, and it will end hard.

I hope he is playing for somebody else when it does.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think once people start watching him actually playing the game right NOW and start watching his defense at 3rd and at 1st, they'll stop suggesting that he's not putting forth effort defensively.

He's been fantastic defensively and I'm as far from a Yuni fan as you can get, but there are just some people who refuse to watch a game, 7 games, 20 games and form an opinion on that rather than rely on their preconceived notions.

Anyone who doesn't think he's been a very good defender this year at the corner IF positions...not sure what you're watching. Or anyone questioning his defense.

He's a terrible player overall, but that doesn't mean you ignore the facts and evidence right in front of you.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

yuni aggravates more then any player ever, but at least he tries. it sure doesnt seem like like the big salmon...or tuna.... or grouper... or whatever the hell his nickname is is doing. johnny estrada ran out ground balls better then this tool.

Agreed. Being bad doesn't need to be confused for being lazy. Especially when you take his defensive contributions this year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Yuni has made some great plays at the corner, but he has also had some stupid boots. He is far from a very good defender.

Careful man, you are getting Yuni fever... Anyone who calls what he does defensively FANTASTIC has the fever.

Yuni's defensive skillset (good glove & arm, but terrible range) should play well at a corner IF position. The problem is that over the course of a season, his bat historically has not been good enough to merit playing time at a corner IF spot. We should be glad that he has hit well in our time of need, but we should not believe that he will continue to hit well enough to man a corner IF spot long-term or that his defense has improved enought that he should get significant PT in a middle IF position.

If somehow his hot play over a short period has convinced another team to trade something of value for him once Ramirez is back in the lineup, we should feel like we've won the lottery.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 1 month later...
I think we can all agree that Yuni fell off a cliff.

Archived