Brewer Fanatic

Trading bobbles by mail

I have had many successful craigslist transactions, but one bad one, and it was really bad!

You have no rights on craigslist, if the guy wants to screw you over, he can, and the law can't do a single thing about it.

Just be aware of that going in.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Slightly off-topic, but it's interesting that the name Bill Wenz came up... I only knew who this guy was only because of his Brewer bobblehead business. My brother actually sold a bunch of bobbleheads to him on Ebay a few years ago

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/29518939.html

Edit: Did a little more digging on Wenz and found this. Evidently his scams aren't limited to sports memorabilia being sold through the mail:

http://online.drl.wi.gov/decisions/1998/ls9809301reb-00071908.pdf

The fact that you could easily be dealing with someone like this is why I would never do a transaction through the mail unless it's with someone on this board (and even then I'd be cautious).

The fact that you could easily be dealing with someone like this is why I would never do a transaction through the mail unless it's with someone on this board (and even then I'd be cautious).

I've only had one problem with anyone ever on this board, and it was resolved quickly.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to trade with any regular poster on this board...

Slightly off-topic, but it's interesting that the name Bill Wenz came up... I only knew who this guy was only because of his Brewer bobblehead business. My brother actually sold a bunch of bobbleheads to him on Ebay a few years ago

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/29518939.html

Edit: Did a little more digging on Wenz and found this. Evidently his scams aren't limited to sports memorabilia being sold through the mail:

http://online.drl.wi.gov/decisions/1998/ls9809301reb-00071908.pdf

This guy was the single worst person I have ever dealt with in all my years of sports memorabilia. He agreed to a deal, I sent it out, he got it, I got nothing. I went as far as calling him several times and he would immediately yell at me and say he got nothing.

I remember saying, "I don't understand, we both said we mailed them out the same day. I said I mailed it out, and you told me you did too on the same day. So why didn't I get anything?"

"I was waiting to get yours to see if you would scam me! You're the scammer!"

All of his emails were barely intelligible typo-laden rants. He used to be on eBay selling a whole bunch WI-related stuff under the name Willie and a bunch of numbers. I'm pretty sure he's since been banned.

I later found out through my brother in radio that the guy was notorious for attending their charity events. He'd show up in an autographed Gantner jersey and haggle charities for deals on items. Yep - Billy Wenz is a real class act! It's nice to know he's alone though. He was living with his mom back then but I think she passed away.

I've only had one problem with anyone ever on this board, and it was resolved quickly.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to trade with any regular poster on this board...

I worded my sentence poorly.... what I meant was, for just about anything other than this board, I would not trade with anyone through the mail..

On the other hand, I would generally be comfortable trading through the mail with someone on this board. However, I would still exercise reasonable caution as a buyer/seller (just as I would with most transactions). I would be especially cautious if there is a large sum of money or valuable items involved, and I would use common sense to make sure nothing seems fishy. Basically I'd give the benefit of the doubt in most situations when trading with someone on this board, but I wouldn't blindly trade anything with anybody in any situation is what I was trying to say.

Wenz said he bought 100 tickets for each of 17 games at which the Brewers gave away bobble heads, and 500 for the game with the Robin Yount bobble. Wenz went for the cheapest seats he could get - bleacher tickets for as little as $5 each.

You can't just hand in 100 tickets at Miller Park and get 100 bobble heads, however. You have to present a single ticket at the turnstile, collect one bobble head, exit, get back in line and start the process over again. Wenz doesn't want to do that.

"I hire guys at 20 bucks apiece and they go in and out for me and I just stand there with the box," he said.

I'd like to see 4 a year. Drop the ridiculous alternates/retros.

They aren't even selling the seats they used to as neither bobble game this year was a sell-out.

I think that has more to do with the awful weather than anything else. Both days were freezing.

That is what the roof is for...

I was at the Scott game, and it was 100% comfortable in Miller Park with no jacket of any kind.

I was at the game too. It's fine inside. My point is that the crappy weather cuts down the number of people who want to stand outside for 2-3 hours and tailgate. Baseball is summer's game. A lot of people don't want to load up the car and wear sweatshirts in 35 degree weather before heading in. A lot of people don't even want to walk from the car to the stadium in that weather. I've never been that picky but I know lots of people who are like that. A lot of people go for the experience, not so much the baseball.

I tailgated anyway, but I'm not the average fan. The people obsessed with the bobbles will go, but I promise you Sunday would have been a sell-out if it was 75 all weekend. It ended up being just my roommate and I for that reason. Typically we'd have no problem rounding up 10 people. Our friends just didn't want to go outside.

Archived