Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez named NL Player of the Week

Invader3K

It's good to see his new found patience has led to more walks and pushed that OBP up into the .350 range that he wanted before the season started.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He walked! He actually took a walk!

He walked twice!!!! He actually took two walks!!!!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Congrats to him. Man no one complaining about that contract anymore haha

I have to assume those who think that a .300 OBP is unacceptable still are complaining. i think the deal is fine but I totally get where the complaints come from. It isn't a fist pump deal by any means.

My seven year old daughter thinks that Carlos is a great player, mainly because she thinks that he is related to Selena Gomez.

That is amazing!

Saw someone posted the lyrics to his walk up song, I get that stuck in my head every time I hear that. I think it's a good pick for him! It's now stuck in my head from reading it, son of ahhhhh.

I have to assume those who think that a .300 OBP is unacceptable still are complaining. i think the deal is fine but I totally get where the complaints come from. It isn't a fist pump deal by any means.

I won't complain if he keeps slugging .470... that's my biggest worry, is that he goes back to slugging .380.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

i felt like yesterday was a water shed moment...

he hit a ball that he thought was a homer...it wasnt...and then...and then...and then.........

just when i was sure he'd fall out of his shoes swinging at the next one, he just shrugged it off and drew a walk...

Carlos has been this good since the end of June last year---he's been a .750+ hitter for 300 full at bats...that's not a small sample any more...

i think I'm ready to admit he's turned a corner and become an above average hitter with ridiculous defensive skills....

he's been a .750+ hitter for 300 full at bats...that's not a small sample any more...

Yes it is. OPS doesn't become meaningful until 500+ AB and even then it is just the bottom end of meaningful. A full year of OPS in baseball is still a small sample.

Having said all that he is striking out less and he hasn't popped out all year long and he is hitting more LD. If he significantly reduces the K% and IFFB% it almost has to see a positive shift in his AVG which will positively shift his OBP and SLG. His SwStr% is down and his contact% is up so it doesn't seem like the lower K% is flukey either.

he's been a .750+ hitter for 300 full at bats...that's not a small sample any more...

Yes it is. OPS doesn't become meaningful until 500+ AB and even then it is just the bottom end of meaningful. A full year of OPS in baseball is still a small sample.

a small sample of what? I get the idea behind a fluke season, but at some point you need to look at exactly what you are trying to figure out...

If you need a full season to judge a sample, then are we trying to determine the value of the player over his career? How long is the career you are judging?

also, your pronouncement seems derived to specifically disarm any argument that's not your own.

Having said all that he is striking out less and he hasn't popped out all year long and he is hitting more LD. If he significantly reduces the K% and IFFB% it almost has to see a positive shift in his AVG which will positively shift his OBP and SLG. His SwStr% is down and his contact% is up so it doesn't seem like the lower K% is flukey either

aren't these inherently based on terrible small samples themselves, defeating your own argument that we have no idea what kind of hitter he is?

Instead of looking at "is Gomez worth the contract," I looked at it more as a relative value between paying Gomez $9MM/year vs playing Schafer in CF for league minimum, or Aoki in CF with Davis/Roche/Gindl, etc in RF for league minimum. I figured that over the next few years, the difference between Gomez and Schafer wouldn't be worth $8.5MM/year.

But, the contract is signed, so I'm glad to see Gomez playing well, and I hope he continues to play well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Having said all that he is striking out less and he hasn't popped out all year long and he is hitting more LD. If he significantly reduces the K% and IFFB% it almost has to see a positive shift in his AVG which will positively shift his OBP and SLG. His SwStr% is down and his contact% is up so it doesn't seem like the lower K% is flukey either

aren't these inherently based on terrible small samples themselves, defeating your own argument that we have no idea what kind of hitter he is?

I never stated they weren't small samples~. They are also stats that become meaningful much faster than something like OPS.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fantasy/article/when-do-stats-become-meaningful/

That study chose a very small level of confidence. If you look at one that picks a higher level of confidence you'll find something like ERA isn't a really useful stat until almost 500 innings. 300 PA is a spit in the wind for a sample size for OPS though, you give me 300 PA of OPS and I can't begin to tell you if a player is good or bad. Just think about how players vary in OPS from 1 half to another of a season and it should follow logically.

Instead of looking at "is Gomez worth the contract," I looked at it more as a relative value between paying Gomez $9MM/year vs playing Schafer in CF for league minimum, or Aoki in CF with Davis/Roche/Gindl, etc in RF for league minimum. I figured that over the next few years, the difference between Gomez and Schafer wouldn't be worth $8.5MM/year.

But, the contract is signed, so I'm glad to see Gomez playing well, and I hope he continues to play well.

I like what i've seen of Schafer and by all accounts i've read, he can handle CF defensively. How he'd hit as an everyday player in the bigs i don't know.

Aoki as an everyday CF though is a non-option to me, he'd be a serious liability on the defensive end. He not only is much slower than both Gomez and Schafer, he also has to play really deep because he struggles going back on balls. Aoki playing everyday in center would lead to lots more balls falling in front of him for hits that Gomez and Schafer would catch for outs.

Archived