Brewer Fanatic

2013-04-21 Cubs (Feldman) at Brewers (Peralta), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-2; 6-0 homestand]

I was laughing at Sveum pitching to Braun in that at-bat when Braun hit the HR. I know traditionally you don't intentionally walk the bases loaded but with Weeks struggling as much as he has I don't think the smart choice was to pitch to Braun in that instance
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was laughing at Sveum pitching to Braun in that at-bat when Braun hit the HR. I know traditionally you don't intentionally walk the bases loaded but with Weeks struggling as much as he has I don't think the smart choice was to pitch to Braun in that instance

Rarely ever are you going to see a manager intentionally walk the bases loaded later in a game where you lead by two runs. That's no clear cut easy call for two reasons.

1. Braun hasn't exactly been hitting good either besides a few home runs. Even in that at bat, he wasn't looking good until Feldman served up as perfect of a hanging curve as possible.

2. For as bad as Weeks has been hitting, if Sveum intentionally walks Braun to load the bases, all it would take to tie the game is a lucky seeing eye grounder or some lucky flare by Weeks to fall in front of an outfielder. Now if it was 2nd and 3rd instead of 1st and 3rd, i'm nearly certain that Sveum would have called for walking Ryan.

All that may be true, but Weeks has been putrid. I would walk Braun all day long to get to Weeks, 2 guys on or not, putting the winning run on or not. In fact, I see no reason, under almost any circumstance to ever pitch to Braun, knowing that Weeks is next, especially with 2 outs. It isn't like Rickie is having good at bats, he is flailing, and flailing hard. Looks like he is completely lost, with no end in sight.

The fact that Weeks keeps hitting 4th is questionable on so many levels.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived