Brewer Fanatic

How much longer should Rickie be given at the 4th spot?

The stache
I just wish he would use a normal sized bat. He flails away and misses at outside pitches every single day and it seems like if he just used a normal bat he might make some contact. I just don't get it at all.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bat size is all comfort...some guys just can't adjust to longer or heavier bats....

Braun uses a 35 inch bat (i think) which is gigantic, but it works for him

Man, last night weeks looked horrid...he was loaded to swing at every single pitch, and flailed wildly at stuff that he had no chance hitting...

he needs a couple days off

Man, last night weeks looked horrid...he was loaded to swing at every single pitch, and flailed wildly at stuff that he had no chance hitting...

he needs a couple days off

Exactly my thinking. He was falling after every outside pitch. I'm sure the coaches have noticed this too and may have even said something to him. So I don't know why he hasn't been able to adjust yet.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Bat size is all comfort...some guys just can't adjust to longer or heavier bats....

I'm sure of two things.

1. You are exactly correct that it is a comfort thing.

2. Within a month of switching he would have adjusted to it. There is absolutely no way that he couldn't adjust to a normal bat.

What I'm not sure of is the third thing.

3. It would definitely help him.

If I were sure of #3 I'd really be ragging on him hard about the first 2. Since #3 is an unknown I will just be bothered by the 1st two.

They said last night that Roenicke has wanted to give Weeks some days off but Rickie says he wants to play. And why wouldn't he? His 2015 contract vests based on 1,200 plate appearances combined in 2013 and 2014 or 600 in 2014. It's tougher to reach those numbers down in the order, and not playing every day. Roenicke needs to man up and bench him from time to time and put the good of the team first.

His first two ab's were his best in a long time. But he really regressed as the night went on.

He's missing so many hanging breaking pitches that a major league player should just never miss. And I really think it has a lot to due with a balance issue. He almost takes a headfirst digger on pitches on the outer half. So when a pitch is actually middle in he's flailing and just fouls it away. They need to sit him for a couple games against unfavorable matchups and work on a mechanical adjustment.

That being said, I'd be shocked if he isn't back in there tonight batting 5th. He's had some success against Volquez in the past, they have the scheduled day off, and the guy has always had the longest leash of any brewer. Every manager we've had has loved the guy.

Not that this is about the 4th spot in the lineup anymore.

But I'm wondering no matter how awful Weeks does to start this season offensively/defensively...sigh that even if at this point they are ready to call up Gennett, they would wait it out until beyond the Super 2 start time on his service clock?

And what day is that? So I can begin a countdown of some sort of hope.

Weeks would have to struggle like this till late June and Gennett would have to be playing well for them to call Gennett up and demote Weeks to AAA. It's jumping the gun at this point in time.

However, it's not jumping the gun to say Weeks should be batting 8th in the order.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

What kind of batting line from Gennett would be deemed well enough to promote when Weeks is batting under .200 at that point?

With my waiting theory in mind, I'm just looking for the time I can bring up removing Weeks from the lineup altogether.

Going to just walk away from the Weeks bashing til end of June. Maybe he'll be batting better than the .180s he was at that point last season....better than .200 and for that matter at the .244Zips clip now til then where I won't have to come back and suggest it's time to move on once again.

And maybe Gennett can underachieve well below the expected numbers it may take to call him up so to further continue standing behind Weeks' play.

It's fitting that the club won 9 in a row due nothing to Weeks contributions. That the loss ending the streak would be contributed namely from Weeks play.

What kind of batting line from Gennett would be deemed well enough to promote when Weeks is batting under .200 at that point?

With my waiting theory in mind, I'm just looking for the time I can bring up removing Weeks from the lineup altogether.

Going to just walk away from the Weeks bashing til end of June. Maybe he'll be batting better than the .180s he was at that point last season....better than .200 and for that matter at the .244Zips clip now til then where I won't have to come back and suggest it's time to move on once again.

And maybe Gennett can underachieve well below the expected numbers it may take to call him up so to further continue standing behind Weeks' play.

It's fitting that the club won 9 in a row due nothing to Weeks contributions. That the loss ending the streak would be contributed namely from Weeks play.

Just so you know, I actually have no problem with demoting Rickie Weeks right now and promoting Gennett. Here is the thing though, Weeks does go through horrific slumps offensively every season, but manages to hit himself out of them every season. I say June, because Doug Melvin will not make a move like this until it's way past due, and when his regulars are struggling like this it usually takes him this long or longer to act (see Hardy and Bill Hall). This is why I'm really not talking about it publicly. There's just no point.

I think Weeks has a huge mechanical swing issue going on right now and is losing significant bat speed, so I don't expect him to hit his way out of this, and his defense is below average, so this is why I'm for demoting him to AAA. There are financial benefits for the Brewers to do this also, because the more AB's he gets the more money he makes. That's the way his contract is set up I believe, due to his injury history.

I hear your frustration.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

There's no way Gennett is coming up to replace Weeks this year. Why start his service time this early? He'd almost certainly be a poor major leaguer at this point. Let him finally dominate a level down in the minors.

I think calling up Bianchi, DFA'ing Gonzalez and having Yuni and Bianchi share the spot would be much more likely if he were to get benched. But it's not gonna happen unless he's putting up the same line past Memorial Day. Or maybe they can sneak him on the DL or something and try to get him on track with a rehab stint.

Since April 13th Aoki is hitting 132/214/237. Weeks 169/273/260.

Maybe they should both be demoted to the minors and Gennett could play both positions. That would show them. Clearly they aren't trying; Weeks is just refusing to sit down for a game or two because he just wants the extra cash from all them at bats. I bet he spent all winter dreaming this up and plotting how he would play terribly, yet refuse to take a day off just so his performance bonus would kick in and he could laugh-HAHAHAHA. That's something he can proudly tell his grandchildren some day. Poor Jemile don't get it. He didn't wait until a big contract to intentionally start playing bad.

Still, them Weeks's they smart, sneaky smart. Figurin' out how to play really bad once they make a cool million and all. Some people might think if they kept tryin' and playing good, they'd make even more money, but Rickie, he's done got his own angle and it workin' for him real good. Real good. I think he been whispering to Aoki and telling him to start playing bad too.

I wouldn't want to watch Weeks hitting 8th... he'd never take the bat off his shoulder. I cringe at the thought of him taking walks (or called strike threes) with two outs, and runners on 2nd and 3rd with the pitcher in the on deck circle.

I like Rickie, but in my view, he is the most consistently frustrating player the Brewers have had since Glenn Braggs. He has so much ability and has shown some big time flashes of converting that ability into production... but something just isn't clicking for him to take it to the next level.

I wouldn't want to watch Weeks hitting 8th... he'd never take the bat off his shoulder. I cringe at the thought of him taking walks (or called strike threes) with two outs, and runners on 2nd and 3rd with the pitcher in the on deck circle.

I like Rickie, but in my view, he is the most consistently frustrating player the Brewers have had since Glenn Braggs. He has so much ability and has shown some big time flashes of converting that ability into production... but something just isn't clicking for him to take it to the next level.

I don't mean to sound ridiculous here, but perhaps Weeks trying to take walks isn't such a bad thing. Weeks tends to strike out most of the time while swinging. I want Weeks to bring the count to full every time he's at the plate. If he's doing that he's somewhat productive, and will likely get on base. Better 8th than any other position.

Since April 13th Aoki is hitting 132/214/237. Weeks 169/273/260.

Maybe they should both be demoted to the minors and Gennett could play both positions. That would show them. Clearly they aren't trying; Weeks is just refusing to sit down for a game or two because he just wants the extra cash from all them at bats. I bet he spent all winter dreaming this up and plotting how he would play terribly, yet refuse to take a day off just so his performance bonus would kick in and he could laugh-HAHAHAHA. That's something he can proudly tell his grandchildren some day. Poor Jemile don't get it. He didn't wait until a big contract to intentionally start playing bad.

Still, them Weeks's they smart, sneaky smart. Figurin' out how to play really bad once they make a cool million and all. Some people might think if they kept tryin' and playing good, they'd make even more money, but Rickie, he's done got his own angle and it workin' for him real good. Real good. I think he been whispering to Aoki and telling him to start playing bad too.

Why would Aoki be purposely playing bad, when he's only making 1.5 million and is going to hit arbitration soon? I'm not worried about Aoki. He has 20 hits, 8 BB, and has rarely struck out. He's productive when he's not hitting, just the other day he bunted for a base hit. Not to mention he's just going through a little rough patch. He started the season very hot. He's a different type of hitter than Weeks.

He has 20 hits, 8 BB

And Weeks has 13 hits and 10 walks, so 5 less times on base in the same number of at bats. And yeah, Rickie strikes out a lot, Aoki has been swinging like an idiot and hitting weak ground balls lately. Not really a difference.

Why would Aoki be purposely playing bad, when he's only making 1.5 million and is going to hit arbitration soon?

Oh good god....did you really need to ask this?

Not to mention he's just going through a little rough patch. He started the season very hot.

Same for Weeks.......

He has 20 hits, 8 BB

And Weeks has 13 hits and 10 walks, so 5 less times on base in the same number of at bats. And yeah, Rickie strikes out a lot, Aoki has been swinging like an idiot and hitting weak ground balls lately. Not really a difference.

There's a difference if you believe there's something mechanically wrong with Weeks at the plate that is making him struggle like he is, and not Aoki. Aoki is in a slump, but I don't think Weeks is in a slump that he can get out of without making a mechanical adjustment. Also his defense hasn't been good and usually when you aren't hitting you play good defense to sorta make up for it and Weeks hasn't been doing that either.

Why would Aoki be purposely playing bad, when he's only making 1.5 million and is going to hit arbitration soon?

Oh good god....did you really need to ask this?

It doesn't make any sense I know.

Here is an excellent write up on what could be going on With Rickie Weeks,

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/whats-wrong-with-rickie-weeks/

Ah yes that whole 1200PAs Contract kick in. Imagine the uproar by Rickie if he were to be demoted at all. I'd think he'd roll to the Players Union to file some kind of grievance on the club deliberately working against him to avoid the contract kick in.

And really, that's all the more reason to send him down/platoon him with Gennett. Saving that 11.5mil.

Imagine if Rickie continues to struggle how many of us may stoop down to wishing some sort of ailment on him?

Of course this to me is a refreshing thought because if I'm him, being lousy reduces the chances of seeing the option kickin. Already dropped from 2nd in order to 4th and now 5th. It sounds like Ramirez is on his way back skipping rehab assignment so now he's 6th and at 6th RRR may just put Gomez ahead of him and then he's 7th. Those missed PAs will start to accumulate.

As for Aoki, yeah his numbers aren't there lately. But its not a fault of Strikeouts and not putting the ball in play. Two 3fers at the plate this week and all of his numbers likely lineup to expectations.

Anyway, Go Rickie! Go Crew! New Streak begins tomorrow!

Archived