Brewer Fanatic

How much longer should Rickie be given at the 4th spot?

The stache
personally, as long as we continue winning, I don't want him to change. Yes I'm getting superstitious now, but considering a week ago this team was being left for dead, let's go with it

Can you explain the occasions Weeks was a reason behind their success though? It's mostly been Segura and Braun. followed by Lucroy,Gomez,Yuni. As far as plating runs that meant something. 3-25 .120avg 4bbs-9ks(36%) 3runs. 2rbis.

Lucroy: 9-24 .375 0bbs-3ks. Big difference though. 5runs 3HRs 7rbi.

Gomez:12-23 .522 0bbs-4ks. 6rs, 2hrs, 3rbis.

Yuni B:6-23 .261 1bbs-5ks 4rs, 2hrs, 8rbis.

Lets get him even more depressing numbers

Starters in that time: 3-12 .250 2rs 1hr 2rbi.

So the Brewers have won "Despite" Weeks not 'In Spite' of him. Yep, Our Pitchers have as many hits in half the ABs as Weeks and equal in RBI in this 7game streak.

Weeks has batted cleanup in every game of this streak and the Brewers have gotten better production from their Pitchers. This isn't a case of nobody getting on base for him to drive in. Braun has been pitched around/walked numerous times. Segura's been OB like crazy. He's not getting it done and clearly by Gomez's or Lucroy's numbers one of those two should be batting cleanup. Reward Gomez for his play he's earned it.

Edit adding: fun to look at the on pace numbers for Weeks: 10HRs 29Rbi 229Ks. 114hits. There's a good one: over/under on Weeks hits this year? 128? and I'm considering under on that number.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't an isolated incident with Weeks who underachieved well into 2012 also and has had many such slumps in his career. They are stuck with him through next year, but once Ramirez or Hart returns, it's time to start giving him time off during these slumps, in part to keep his 2015 contract worth $11.5 million from vesting. Gennett is raking though it's early for him too.

Speaking of fans wanting changes made after 2-3 weeks, how much longer a leash before A-Gon, becomes A-Gone? When Bianchi's rehab runs out?

Aoki is batting 132/214/263 his last 10 games.

Yeah you're right but in Aoki's case he has 2ks in that time. 1hr. So that's 4-35 on Balls hit in play. A .114avg.

Again, the expected norm is .280+ more around .300. Weeks' issues arise from his Ks and not putting the ball in play. You can't fix a slump on the BABIP when you're not giving yourself many opportunities.

Aoki's numbers will come around. Everyone said Weeks' would last season when his BABIP was sitting low and it did. Aoki is fine, he will be a .280hitter when it's said and done.

Aoki also puts up positive value in the field even when he isn't hitting. All that work Weeks did to become around average defensively has gone down the drain as well so now he is killing us in the field again. He is one guy I really do not want to extend at all and I also hope his 2015 contract doesn't vest.

With the injuries, it's hard to get too upset about Weeks batting 4th. It would also be hard to get upset about him getting bumped down so that "the hot bat" would hit 4th. I guess if I had to choose, I'd put Gomez there, as his hack-tastic approach is better served in an RBI spot in the order. Gonzalez is a waste of space, so since he's going to be there everyday, he probably should be hitting 8th (at least he may take a walk when pitched around unlike Yuni or Gomez). That would mean Rickie would be 6th (Lucroy 5th), as I couldn't put Yuni in front of him.

Once everyone is back, I agree that Weeks should probably hit 8th. His 3-year average line is .255 avg / .349 OBP / .443 SLG / .792 OPS, and he's still only 30, so I don't think he's "lost it," but he may be slipping some...only time will tell. It's a testament to the strength of the lineup that Weeks probably makes the most sense of anyone to bat 8th. Hitting in front of the pitcher, his OBP could hover around .400, as pitchers would walk him often, his power would allow for him to knock in quite a few runs, and his patience would allow Gomez (7th) to steal some bases. I'd guess you'd see a lot of Gomez stealing second, Rickie getting walked, pitcher getting cleared. His high OBP also allows the pitcher to bunt him over.

At the end of the day, it probably comes down to whether you want to keep Segura at #2, and with the way he's hit there, I can't see moving him. Then, it comes down to whether Lucroy or Weeks should hit #8 (Gomez is not a good option for #8). At this point, I'd opt for Weeks at 8 and Lucroy at 6: Aoki, Segura, Braun, Ramirez, Hart, Lucroy, Gomez, Weeks. Overall a pretty good lineup.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Well said Monty, I too can't really be too upset about Weeks batting 8th with the key players we have out right now. I was actually randomly thinking of this, but is there a reason anyone can see for weeks staying 4th because RRR doesn't want to move the other players off the spots they are batting currently? As in he likes Lucroy batting 5th, etc? I don't even know if that makes sense to me, but just throwing that out there.

I would put Lucroy at #4 and Gomez at #5. Weeks, Gonzalez, and Yuni can make up 6-7-8; don't really care who bats 6,7, or 8 out of that group.

RR is going to have a nice problem on his hands once Hart and Aram returns. That is a really deep lineup with the emergence of Segura and Gomez. Weeks might be hitting 7 or 8 just by default.

I was actually randomly thinking of this, but is there a reason anyone can see for weeks staying 4th because RRR doesn't want to move the other players off the spots they are batting currently? As in he likes Lucroy batting 5th, etc? I don't even know if that makes sense to me, but just throwing that out there.

This is my only guess in that regard is RRR doesn't want to mix up the lineups day to day. Seems it's Lucroy/Maldanado 5th. Gomez 7th. 6&8 the mix of Yuni/Gonz.

Putting Lucroy 4th and the days Maldy catches then bats 4th? Makes no sense so RRR would have to shift the lineup to accomodate. Which shouldn't be a problem but stubbornly he seems stuck in his ways.

Simply Switch Gomez/Weeks for all I care at this point if he cant be flexible in his decisions on a day to day basis.

It's just really how laughable is it to watch the lineup card get put up and Weeks sits 4th in order? 0HRs 2Rbi. From your cleanup spot?

I guess some other horror telling to me in Weeks' downward spiral is that he doesn't even look plattonable vs Lefties only. He's just about as bad and as high a K rate looking at last year's splits. So, no silver lining to a solution for Weeks. It's just sit back and enjoy the poor showings.....Or DFA him...watch as Toronto claims him. Problem solved.

It's just really how laughable is it to watch the lineup card get put up and Weeks sits 4th in order? 0HRs 2Rbi. From your cleanup spot?

Soriano just got his first HR and RBI the other day. Stanton got his first RBI last night etc. While I'm not a huge Weeks fan I don't think you want to go over a cliff with it, he certainly should not be DFA'd as you suggest.

Weeks OPS+ in his career.

2005 - 90 in 414 PAs

2006 - 96 in 413 PAs

2007 - 108 in 506 PAs

2008 - 96 in 560 PAs

2009 - 125 in 162 PAs

2010 - 123 in 754 PAs

2011 - 121 in 515 PAs

2012 - 93 in 677 PAs (2nd half was well above average after a very poor start)

2013 - 54 in 75 PAs

Unless you really think Weeks has fallen off the cliff, you just let him ride it out. To DFA him is utterly foolish. For everyone that are so worried about his strike out total, in what was probably his best season (2010), he had 184 Ks. Yes, he is on pace to have more this season than in 2010, but that would be making the assumption that he won't start to see the ball a bit better. Give him another month or so before you start taking away his playing time on a regular basis.

I have no problem letting Weeks ride it out. He should just be riding it our much lower in the order. Lucroy seems like the most logical choice to hit 4th. And no, I wouldn't even mind Maldanado hitting 4th on days Lucroy is off. Hitting behing Braun, at least both of those guys generally have good ABs.

Take weeks out of the #4 spot because he's not clutch, he's declining as a hitter, he needs to be in a spot that requires the batter to get on base via walks and not really by hitting his way on, like the 8th spot, and do it to ease my suffering before and during game time. It's torture to have a batter batting clean up and sucking at it majorly when he's not even supposed to be there in the first place.

Do it before the next game.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

he needs to be in a spot that requires the batter to get on base via walks

There's a spot in the order where it's not required to get on base via walks?

Considering the opposition intentionally walks hitters (usually to get to a weaker hitter), the 8th spot in front of a pitcher is one where walking certainly has less value than say ahead of a Ryan Braun type. Of course, you have to be able to hit your way on occasionally too, something Weeks has been having difficulty with of late.

Considering the opposition intentionally walks hitters (usually to get to a weaker hitter), the 8th spot in front of a pitcher is one where walking certainly has less value than say ahead of a Ryan Braun type.

Of course - you'd ideally like a batter with ample patience to hit 8th due to being pitched around.

I just have a strange feeling that if Weeks would do the "required" job, walking a ton in front of the pitcher, people would still complain.

Soriano just got his first HR and RBI the other day. Stanton got his first RBI last night etc. While I'm not a huge Weeks fan I don't think you want to go over a cliff with it, he certainly should not be DFA'd as you suggest.

The solution ought to be.

When ARam comes back AGonz is sent down/waived. Gennett is called up and they platoon at 2b Lefty to Righty/Righty to Lefty. Weeks' K numbers at least are down vs Leftys. It would be best of both worlds giving Gennett experience and removing Weeks from this ever growing K Rate vs Rightys.

Considering the opposition intentionally walks hitters (usually to get to a weaker hitter), the 8th spot in front of a pitcher is one where walking certainly has less value than say ahead of a Ryan Braun type.

Of course - you'd ideally like a batter with ample patience to hit 8th due to being pitched around.

I just have a strange feeling that if Weeks would do the "required" job, walking a ton in front of the pitcher, people would still complain.

The complaints are coming due to him batting under .200 for an extended period of time once again and that so many ABs end with a Strikeout.

Can't continue at #8 unless that under .200 continued and the K rate continued showing the inability to get things turned around. I wouldn't complain with him 6 or lower in the order but what he's doing at the plate doesn't deserve being in the top half of the order.

Someone pointed out Aoki's struggles in 10 games which for Weeks is fortunate because that's reduced the number of added runners on base that with this stretch would emphasize how poor Weeks performance has been.

I just want some kind of wakeup call sent Weeks' way. If DFA isn't an option then benching him like I suggested except to face Lefty starters. It's just all the signs are there for a .151 BA for Weeks in to the All-Star break once again moreso than a return of his career .250BA.

What the hell happened to all the posters who actually looked at more than small samples. This board has definitely take n a turn for the worse. So man knee jerk reactions.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived