Brewer Fanatic

2013-04-17 Giants (Vogelsong) at Brewers (Lohse), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3; walkoff a Lalli pop]

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad we don't have a technology that would allow us to get calls like this right very easily. And all these professional sports leagues have to suffer as a result.

O wait. It's only baseball that insists it's still 1920/

Yup it mattered so much.

But youre right the entire review would have only paused the game for 20-30 seconds

are you seriously arguing they shouldn't review plays like that?

I never knew this but...the umps were correct:

Rule 7.05g

The position of the batter-runner at the time the wild throw left the thrower’s hand is the key in

deciding the award of bases. If the batter-runner has not reached first base, the award is two bases at

the time the pitch was made for all runners. The decision as to whether the batter-runner has reached

first base before the throw is a judgment call.

Too bad we don't have a technology that would allow us to get calls like this right very easily. And all these professional sports leagues have to suffer as a result.

Yup it mattered so much.

But youre right the entire review would have only paused the game for 20-30 seconds

are you seriously arguing they shouldn't review plays like that?

Yes I am, reviews are so boring, have you watched any football recently? It is getting worse and worse. Baseball is entertainment, keep it that way. NFL coaches always end up challenging stupid plays which means automatic commercial breaks and it keeps expanding and expanding, automatic challenges on all scoring plays etc.

Yup it mattered so much.

It is inevitable that plays like that are eventually reviewed.

Yup it mattered so much.

It is inevitable that plays like that are eventually reviewed.

So its still a bad idea

I never knew this but...the umps were correct:

Rule 7.05g

The position of the batter-runner at the time the wild throw left the thrower’s hand is the key in

deciding the award of bases. If the batter-runner has not reached first base, the award is two bases at

the time the pitch was made for all runners. The decision as to whether the batter-runner has reached

first base before the throw is a judgment call.

Yea, same rule all the way down through High School (maybe even Little League) Learned the hard way many years ago arguing with an ump in High School, so that made an impression.

Yes I am, reviews are so boring, have you watched any football recently? It is getting worse and worse. Baseball is entertainment, keep it that way. NFL coaches always end up challenging stupid plays which means automatic commercial breaks and it keeps expanding and expanding, automatic challenges on all scoring plays etc.

Yeah football is a little outta hand but that's partly because there's already so many commercial breaks and a limited amount of action to begin with (was reading something and there's only like 10 actual minutes of pure action in a 3 hr football game, the rest is huddling, challenges, commercials etc.)

I think something like the play tonight is just a no brainer to be reviewed because it literally decides if the game is over or not.

Yeah football is a little outta hand but that's partly because there's already so many commercial breaks and a limited amount of action to begin with (was reading something and there's only like 10 actual minutes of pure action in a 3 hr football game, the rest is huddling, challenges, commercials etc.)

I think something like the play tonight is just a no brainer to be reviewed because it literally decides if the game is over or not.

Well #1 the ruling was correct,

and #2 maybe in theory if you only reviewed a play like this it would be ok, but in reality once you open the pandora's big box of challenges it just keeps growing and growing and making things more boring

There are certainly plays that could be easily reviewed in baseball, tonight's being one (though as mentioned...the umps were correct, as they are the VAST majority of the time). Problem is, when replay is expanded (which I agree it inevitably will be), we will end up reviewing trap catches that are impossible to discern, plays at first that are essentially ties (was the ball in the mitt yet???), etc and baseball replay will become football replay. Slow, tedious, excruciatingly analyzing minutiae, and not having a huge impact on most games anyway.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not

I am not Shea Vucinich

I understand it since I umpired. They got it 100 percent correct. There was no reason to review this call.

Each runner is awarded two bags. It is usually from the time the fielder releases the ball. The exception is when an infielder is trying to throw out the batter running to first. Then it is two bags from where you were when the pitcher had the ball.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived