Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo arrested for OWI - Blood level nearly three times limit at .22

AZBrewCrew

True story, but my Grandpa who lives in Milwaukee, is an alcoholic, and about 20 years ago, he lost his license for life, because he had way too many drunk driving charges. I believe he hit a parked police car. For a time he would walk to the local bar and the police men in the area know who he is and would give him a ride back home practically every night. After he finished the beer cans he would smash them with his home made beer can smasher and recycle them for money to go out and by more beer. We are talking trash bags filled with empty beer cans. My Grandpa get's drunk every night. Last Christmas I bought him a bike with one of those sweet motors in it. He can go I believe 25-30 MPH with it. He loved it. He's the funniest man I know. He's a funny drunk. I'm so used to drinkers that it doesn't phase me.

I know what a true alcoholic looks like and Gallardo isn't one. Take my word for it.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True story, but my Grandpa who lives in Milwaukee, is an alcoholic, and about 20 years ago, he lost his license for life, because he had way too many drunk driving charges. I believe he hit a parked police car. For a time he would walk to the local bar and the police men in the area know who he is and would give him a ride back home practically every night. After he finished the beer cans he would smash them with his home made beer can smasher and recycle them for money to go out and by more beer. We are talking trash bags filled with empty beer cans. My Grandpa get's drunk every night. Last Christmas I bought him a bike with one of those sweet motors in it. He can go I believe 25-30 MPH with it. He loved it. He's the funniest man I know. He's a funny drunk. I'm so used to drinkers that it doesn't phase me.

I know what a true alcoholic looks like and Gallardo isn't one. Take my word for it.

I'd really like to take your word for it, but this seems completely and hopelessly irrelevant.

I'd really like to take your word for it, but this seems completely and hopelessly irrelevant.

Anybody in this thread that says that Gallardo has a drinking problem and is an alcoholic needs to seriously reevaluate that assumption and really understand how an alcoholic behaves and what he/she looks like. I've seen the worst drunks and it's highly unlikely Gallardo is one, so unlikely that it shouldn't be brought up even after this arrest. Now if he gets arrested a few more times or shows up to work drunk, then we can perhaps start that conversation up.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

As a lifelong alcoholic/addict I can assure you that we look no particular way whatsoever. While you may be able to look at some people and know that they drink to excess, it is completely impossible to look at someone and know that they don't. Completely.

As a lifelong alcoholic/addict I can assure you that we look no particular way whatsoever. While you may be able to look at some people and know that they drink to excess, it is completely impossible to look at someone and know that they don't. Completely.

Exactly. You look at there behavioral patterns.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder how many times Getpaddled has been at a .22?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

IMO calling people "alcoholics" and "stupid" for getting DUI's is absolutely ridiculous. Being drunk causes you to make bad decisions... somehow every single person that I know who is currently practicing law has a DUI. Two doctors I went to high school with had one. I manage a large retail store and I had one. If we lack intelligence, I guess i fear to ask some of you what you think of others in society? Are they cavemen? Some people just choose to drink to excess now and then, which sometimes leads to a bad decision. Should they be punished ? Absolutely. If i got another DUI i believe I would deserve to have my license taken away for life. Should we string them up? I'd like to think we're beyond such days.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

FYI, he is disagreeing with you.

FYI, he is disagreeing with you.

Then he or you didn't read/ or understand my previous post. I mentioned looking at a persons behavioral patterns. How the person keeps acting over and over again.

My Grandpa get's drunk every nighitt. Last Christmas I bought him a bike with one of those sweet motors in it. He can go I believe 25-30 MPH with it. He loved it. He's the funniest man I know. He's a funny drunk. I'm so used to drinkers that it doesn't phase me.

FWIW, you know that your Grandpa.can get arrested.for OWI on his motor-powered.bicycle, right??

My Grandpa get's drunk every nighitt. Last Christmas I bought him a bike with one of those sweet motors in it. He can go I believe 25-30 MPH with it. He loved it. He's the funniest man I know. He's a funny drunk. I'm so used to drinkers that it doesn't phase me.

FWIW, you know that your Grandpa.can get arrested.for OWI on his motor-powered.bicycle, right??

Oh, shoot. Ah.. No, I didn't know that, and I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that. I screwed up on this one. He seemed pretty happy that he got it. We will see how long it lasts. I could tell him that he could still get arrested, but I don't think he'll listen.

Sorry, I did not read all the comments, just the last couple of pages.

Thank God this happened to him. And thank God there was no one hurt. I say thank God, because these sorts of happenings are a wake up call that many people need. Mine came driving to church one evening. Really! I stayed at work with some friends and drank a lot of wine. Went home to the wife on the bus. We had a church meeting. So off we went. But, for some darn reason, I could not find the church. I drove around in circles for like 1 hour. Finally, I got on the right way (it was only our 2nd time to this church and it was in a weird dead end location). So, when I finally got on the right street, and 100 meters from the church, I was pulled over for a random check. I blew. The cop said 'wow, good thing for you, you were not here one hour ago, you are JUST JUST JUST under'.

Yo will be fine if he learns from this. It is so dumb to put others at risk. From a human viewpoint, I am happy, thank God this happened to him. I am ashamed that 'maybe' I put others at risk. When I am drunk now, I never drive to church. I never drive at all!

IMO calling people "alcoholics" and "stupid" for getting DUI's is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree that I wouldn't call somebody stupid for one DUI as stats show most don't get a second one and learn their lesson. However if people are getting multiple DUI's I have no problem calling them stupid and I do hope they get "strung up" as they are a danger to society.

Then he or you didn't read/ or understand my previous post. I mentioned looking at a persons behavioral patterns. How the person keeps acting over and over again.

Apparently I didn't understand then, as it read to me like you thought you could tell that Yo isn't an alcoholic because he doesn't look like your Grandpa. (And Grandpa's motorized bike needs to get "stolen" or disabled before he causes an accident or gets arrested again.)

As for their behavioral patterns we know so little about pro athletes, what they do and are really like as people, that it isn't funny. I'm often amazed at how well they keep things private.

This thread has become one of the worst threads in the history of BF.net.

How so?

It's people making mostly idiotic statements about drinking on both sides of the argument and then when there's actually a reasonable one, those arguing on both extremes continue to talk over each other.

Oh, shoot. Ah.. No, I didn't know that, and I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that. I screwed up on this one. He seemed pretty happy that he got it. We will see how long it lasts. I could tell him that he could still get arrested, but I don't think he'll listen.

I'm really hoping this whole turn is a joke.

IMO calling people "alcoholics" and "stupid" for getting DUI's is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't care what degrees or professions people have. Ever hear of "book smart, life stupid"? Everyone is bombarded with information detailing how dangerous and stupid driving drunk is starting in grade school. Maybe too many people are willfully ignorant of the risks that come with driving drunk and need to learn lessons the hard way personally, but I just don't see how the risk of ruining one's life and quite possibly the lives of others instead of taking a cab or calling a friend for a ride is worth it in any circumstance. Do people still do it? Of course, and it's stupid.

In this day and age there are multiple alternatives to get home without getting behind the wheel drunk, and if people aren't intelligent enough to use those options I'm sorry, I think they're stupid.

This thread has become one of the worst threads in the history of BF.net.

How so?

It's people making mostly idiotic statements about drinking on both sides of the argument and then when there's actually a reasonable one, those arguing on both extremes continue to talk over each other.

I guess so. I did find it very interesting to see the huge difference in opinion geographically. I learned something there. I always knew Wisconsin had a reputation, but it's interesting (to me at least) to see how huge it is.

Back when I was in high school, we had a police officer explain to us before prom weekend that basically any mode of transportation where you were in control could get you an OWI, even a standard bicycle. It was well known in the community that a certain tavern regular used to drive his lawn mower down the sidewalk with a Slow Moving Vehicle sign that you typically see on farm implements, so we asked the officer if that was illegal, which he said it was. Then like typical teenagers, we decided if we could stump the expert. I asked, "What about if you were on horseback?" He replied, "Yes, you are still in control." But he had no response for, "But what if you're sober and it's the horse that's drunk?"

Gruber Lawffices

To nitpick on the thread title, isn't it either "DUI" or "OWI"?

Thanks. I'll edit it. It's OWI (Operating While Impaired) in Wisconsin. I think that "operating" means that you don't necessarily have to be driving the vehicle to be charged and convicted. Putting the keys in the ignition and starting the car would be sufficient.

I've read pages 1–5 and the last page, and I've seen some interesting and educational comments in this topic, especially from Nottso and JackNicholson1974. I've also seen some forgettable ones.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned within those pages (and I apologize if it's been mentioned in the portion of the topic I haven't gotten to yet) is that there really isn't a "legal limit" in this state. Drivers can be convicted of OWI for blood alcohol levels below .08 when it can be demonstrated that they're sufficiently impaired.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived