Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo arrested for OWI - Blood level nearly three times limit at .22

AZBrewCrew
Haven't read all 7 pages, so this may have been brought up already. Where was his entourage? Someone should have steeped up to stop him from driving. Not that it excuses Yo in any way, but that has been discussed in detail. So I'll focus on why didn't someone stop him? .22 is too drunk to hide. It must have been obvious. I have stopped friends from driving before, not too difficult. Just don't let it become a debate. Dude...you're not driving- period. And many ways to do that, believe me.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By judging from some of the people here, I can shot my gun randomly and hit someone. As long as I don't do it a second time, it was just a one time mistake and isn't a big deal.

Yovanni didn't make one little mistake. He got caught once. I think there is a very good chance he has done this before.

Driving Drunk is risking killing someone else. I am not friends with people who have done it. I haven't done it. We will not be providing beer at our wedding in October. It gets over at 3pm on a Sunday and we will not be enabling drunk driving. It shocks me when people just don't seem to care.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Are us Brewers fans really going to be this hard on Gallardo when after each of the 81 Brewers home games 75% of the ballpark is drunk after each game? That's 2,250,000 fans a year. Think of all the drunk drivers...

I'll just say that Gallardo made a common mistake in these parts, and hopefully he's learned his lesson.

Go Brewers!

I sincerely question your 75% statistic. I think the number is less than 50%. You arent taking in account kids, families, non-drinkers, designated drivers, etc. Yes, lots of drunk drivers leave Miller Park each game but that doesn't make what Yo did a "common mistake."

Let's take your statistic then. 50%. That 1.5 million fans drunk and a ton of drunk drivers after each Brewers home game. It's very common in Milwaukee during baseball season. I know the city and I've gone to hundreds of Brewers games, so I also know the environment.

Are you honestly going to deny that tons of Brewers fans drink at Miller Park and say that the majority of them don't drive home drunk? I'm sure as heck not going too. Especially, in a city like Milwaukee. I know better.

Please, if it was even close to 50% they would have the police and sheriff's departments lined up along the freeway nailing drunk driver after drunk driver after games.

Please, if it was even close to 50% they would have the police and sheriff's departments lined up along the freeway nailing drunk driver after drunk driver after games.

No kidding. So to take this scientific analysis further. In all of the fan shots that I have seen tonight they have shown ~300 people and I have seen a grand total of 1 fan with a beer in there hand. So I estimate 0.3% of fans are legally drunk. QED.

There's nothing in the facts that speak well of Yo. A truly stupid thing to do.

Haven't read all 7 pages, so this may have been brought up already. Where was his entourage? Someone should have steeped up to stop him from driving. Not that it excuses Yo in any way, but that has been discussed in detail. So I'll focus on why didn't someone stop him? .22 is too drunk to hide. It must have been obvious. I have stopped friends from driving before, not too difficult. Just don't let it become a debate. Dude...you're not driving- period. And many ways to do that, believe me.

If this is credible, according to the bar's owner, Gallardo left the bar with his bodyguard.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No kidding. So to take this scientific analysis further. In all of the fan shots that I have seen tonight they have shown ~300 people and I have seen a grand total of 1 fan with a beer in there hand. So I estimate 0.3% of fans are legally drunk. QED.

There's nothing in the facts that speak well of Yo. A truly stupid thing to do.

Obviously it's not even close to 50 percent and the only people who would think it's that high are the people who drink heavily and make foolish decisions and assumes everyone is as foolish as them. When I drink I get a ride. Simple as that. How hard is it to have one person not drink at a game? Is everyone an alcoholic or something where they can't bypass drinking for one night?

Drinking and driving is one of the biggest problems facing our society but we don't want to address it because so many "good" people make mistakes and we can't imagine our mother or our sister in jail. But the thing is that unlike gun control where the crazy person doesn't care about the consequences if we made DWI's laws tough enough the problem would virtually be solved tomorrow. If for instance you received 2 years in prison with no early release for a first time offense people would think twice before they made the decisions they do. Who would even chance it? They don't have these problems in a lot of foreign countries because of tough consequences.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Another weird thing is that he was on 68th and State and went all the way east to Hwy 41 to get to I94. He could have just taken 68th street. Meh. Probably just doesn't know the area or something.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Police can't really enforce it unless someone does something stupid right by the stadium, since there is likely so many people who have been drinking unless it's some distances away from Miller Park on the secondary and third streets. This line of thinking doesn't hold much water. Sorry, Trwi7.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Yeah, the police will just let drunk drivers get away with it because everybody's doing it. No offense but do you realize how stupid that sounds?

It is maybe 1% that are driving home drunk after a game and that's probably a high number. That would be 300 people in a crowd of 30,000. Do you think there are 300 people driving home drunk from the game right now or the 15,000 you suggested earlier?

Yeah, the police will just let drunk drivers get away with it because everybody's doing it. No offense but do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Do you know how stupid it would be for an officer to pull someone over without a reason? Like I said, a driver would have to do something stupid to get pulled over by a police officer, whether it's speeding, driving way too slow, forgot to put the lights on etc..

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Am I the only one slightly put-off by the underlying reality that, given the larger news events of 4/15/13 - which is to say Boston - Yo's response was to go out and get plastered?

Why would you say that going out and getting drunk was his "response?"

I made Chinese stir fry for dinner last night. That wasn't my "response" to the Boston bombing.

It is maybe 1% that are driving home drunk after a game and that's probably a high number. That would be 300 people in a crowd of 30,000. Do you think there are 300 people driving home drunk from the game right now or the 15,000 you suggested earlier?

Huge underestimate there. More people are drinking then you give them credit for. Remember, it's Brewers fans in Milwaukee we are talking about here at a sporting event.

Are us Brewers fans really going to be this hard on Gallardo when after each of the 81 Brewers home games 75% of the ballpark is drunk after each game? That's 2,250,000 fans a year. Think of all the drunk drivers...

I'll just say that Gallardo made a common mistake in these parts, and hopefully he's learned his lesson.

Go Brewers!

http://i.imgur.com/2UBzL.gif

Drinking and drunk are two different things. I will generally have 2 beers a game, finishing the 2nd by mid game. I would guess that's pretty typical, not to mention the many people who don't drink at all.

Opening Day (amateur day) is much higher percentage i'm sure, but still nowhere close to 50% drunk drivers. A typical brewers game, yea, I would guess several hundred over the limit drivers. Not thousands. At least I hope that's true.

drinking and drunk are two different things.D I will generally have 2 beers a game, finishing the 2nd by mid game. I would guess that's pretty typical, not to mention the many people who don't drink at all.

Opening Day (amateur day) is much higher percentage i'm sure, but still nowhere close to 50% drunk drivers. A typical brewers game, yea, I would guess several hundred over the limit drivers. Not thousands. At least I hope that's true.

I would have never guessed that. (friendly sarcasm)

Every time I go to a Brewers game there are 10+ people in front of me in 1 row that have a beer in hand when they first sit down and multiple times throughout the game they call the concession guy over to get another. That doesn't even count the times when they get up during the middle of the innings and come back with another. Don't even try to tell me these people don't drive home drunk and don't make up half the stadium. Everywhere I look someone has a beer. Everywhere! I'm currently live out of town (lived in Milwaukee for a time) and I have never seen anything like it. Only when I go to Brewers games in Milwaukee do I expect it.

I think we can all agree this was a bad decision on Yo's part.

What surprises me though are the number of people who believe drinking to a .22 is normal. It really isnt. 12 to 16 drinks in a day is too many. It's the definition of binge drinking and it is imbedded into the culture of this State so deeply that we have people arguing that some people are "fine" at a .22 or even a .40, which by the way, from a Clemson University website: BAC .40 percent to .50 percent You are probably in a coma. The nerve centers controlling your heartbeat and respiration are slowing down, and it’s a miracle if you survive.

Someone said that if .22 is a problem drinker than 50% of college students have drinking problems. Yes, yes they do. Some of those people will grow up and a grow out of it and become productive members of society. Some will be lifelong drunks and some will beat it with treatment. But yes, at the moment they do have a problem.

I hope Yo gets sober and he has a great year after this.

Every time I go to a Brewers game there are 10+ people in front of me in 1 row that have a beer in hand when they first sit down and multiple times throughout the game they call the concession guy over to get another.

Ah yes, the designated drunks. I've heard about them, but have never seen them in the wild. They come in separate cars, gather together during the game and drink to excess, then when the game is done go back to there groups and insist the sober people don't drive. They are truly heinous people and must be stopped. Let's just hope yo hasn't fallen into this rough crowd....

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

People at .4 are not walking and talking. They're being shipped to a hospital, if they're not already dead.

One thing I will comment on in this thread is the "different people have different BAC effects because of body weight and blah blah blah blah blah" coupled with "we shouldn't be speculating that Yo has a drinking problem based on this one incident"

Well, if you don't have a drinking problem, you know when you've had too much.

Does Yo need counseling or rehab or detox? I don't know. But someone who's made the decision to get behind the wheel after drinking enough to get to a .22 has a 'drinking problem' for the simple fact that he's not cognizant of the fact that he's putting his and others' lives at risk, or he is aware of it, and doesn't care.

I don't care about the "out at 2 am" stuff. He has a life, and he can live it however he sees fit. Just don't do it behind the wheel when you're drinking.

I think we can all agree this was a bad decision on Yo's part.

What surprises me though are the number of people who believe drinking to a .22 is normal. It really isnt. 12 to 16 drinks in a day is too many. It's the definition of binge drinking and it is imbedded into the culture of this State so deeply that we have people arguing that some people are "fine" at a .22 or even a .40, which by the way, from a Clemson University website: BAC .40 percent to .50 percent You are probably in a coma. The nerve centers controlling your heartbeat and respiration are slowing down, and it’s a miracle if you survive.

Someone said that if .22 is a problem drinker than 50% of college students have drinking problems. Yes, yes they do. Some of those people will grow up and a grow out of it and become productive members of society. Some will be lifelong drunks and some will beat it with treatment. But yes, at the moment they do have a problem.

I hope Yo gets sober and he has a great year after this.

Wow, I must be an incredibly functional alcoholic to be 31 and still drink 12+ beers a day 10 or so times a year. In fact, I guess all my friends are too. Hmm, and this is a group made up of lawyers, engineers, and a guy currently getting his doctorate. Wonder how we still manage to overcome and be productive members of society Sunday-Friday.

Or maybe your idea of what other people should and shouldn't do if they aren't endangering anyone else is wrong.

Is this something MLB can suspend a player for?

No, per the MLBPA contract, players cannot be suspended/fined for alcohol infractions, only fined for team specific violations such as curfew (which was 2am)

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Archived