Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo arrested for OWI - Blood level nearly three times limit at .22

AZBrewCrew
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Driving under the influence is a terrible thing. He's deserving all the criticism he gets and more. But even drinking enough to get you to .22 is a sign that this guy has a problem with alcohol.

Put him on the DL and send him to a rehab clinic.

Everyone who gets drunk doesn't have a drinking problem and it is really easy to not realize how much you've drank especially if you are doing shots etc which tend to hit you hard when they do hit. I agree that driving while drunk is awful and when I go out I make it a point to not drive even if I'm just having a beer or two. But I would never suggest sending him to rehab over this unless the team has seen he is doing it constantly or something.

I disagree in part, if you mean anyone who drinks to an .08 or .10 then yes. However, if you drink yourself to a .22, you have a problem with alcohol. Yo is listed as 215 lbs. My drunk driving chart that I use in my practice indicates that someone of that size would have to consume 12 drinks in one hour in order to get to that level. If he were out for 4 hours, it would be more like 16 drinks. That's a problem.

As part of his conviction he will have to go through an AODA assessment and follow through with classes. Lets hope he takes it seriously.

The bolded is complete nonsense.

There are people out there that can be at .4 (5 times the legal limit) and walk and talk perfectly

No way. The only people who can mask the effects of alcohol at high levels are those who regularly consume alcohol at high levels.

But the effects (affects?) are still there. Your judgment, reaction time & coordination are all affected. Gallardo wouldn't have been pulled over if he didn't tip off officers by his behavior behind the wheel.

And Nicholson's point about consuming 12 drinks or 16 or whatever. . .there is never a time when that amount of drinking is a mature, healthy way to use alcohol. Binge drinking is problem drinking.

And I hope the police in Wauwatosa investigate Leff's Lucky town to see if he was over-served there. Servers in every bar have a responsibility to cut people off when they are visibly intoxicated.

What kills me about bars now compared to 20-25 years ago is how strong they make drinks. On the rare occasions when I get out to a bar these days, I'm always shocked at my first sip (brandy and coke) and when I watch them make the drink. They are usually at least 50/50 or even 60% alcohol (for drinks with a mix of soda and alcohol), and it seems like if you tell them not to make it so strong it goes in one ear and out the other. What happened to a mixed drink containing a shot of alcohol?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Everyone at any wedding in Wisconsin would be sent to rehab if .22 was the magic cutoff.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No it's not nonsense. It's dangerous and the truth.

It's complete nonsense.

Gimme a break. Anyone that blows a .22 has a drinking problem? Anyone?

I think if you get to .22 regularly I would agree, and honestly, I have no idea what Yo's drinking habits Yo has, therefore I wouldn't make a completely foolish blanket statement about him.

Community Moderator

There is a very high probability that his drinking is affecting his performance on the field and his family life. So I think it's correct to say that he has a problem.

This wasn't a wedding. It was a Monday night. During the season. And he drove home.

There is a very high probability that his drinking is affecting his performance on the field and his family life. So I think it's correct to say that he has a problem.

This wasn't a wedding. It was a Monday night. During the season. And he drove home.

That's what you're basing it on? He's 25 years old.

You may be right, but I don't think you have much evidence.

Please keep in mind, I am dealing with people who get drunk and break the law on a regular basis. I meet with them at 2:00 in the afternoon, they are sober and polite, then they get smashed all night and the cops get called. Without alcohol and drugs I wouldn't have a job.

No offense, but I wish you didn't have a job.

Yo has earned condemnation. He has brought shame to himself, embarrassment to his team, and irritation to the fans. How much has Yo regularly been drinking to even be able to get behind the wheel with a .22? I found the following description:

8. BAC = .18-.25 = Drinkers are disoriented, confused, dizzy, and have exaggerated emotional states. Vision is disturbed, as is perception of color, form, motion, and dimensions.

Drinkers have increased pain threshold and lack of muscular coordination. Drinkers stagger or lose the ability to walk and have slurred speech. Apathy and lethargy are typical.

To any athlete worried about the free cab service not being anonymous, DUI's are a hell of a lot less anonymous.

Community Moderator

There is always a probability that this was a rare occurrence, he made a mistake, etc, etc, but the circumstances suggest otherwise.

Pretty judgmental thread.

I have friends that do it all the time and it bugs me, but I'm not their father and if you've ever tried to do something about that in the past - you know that real life is not like an after-school special where your friend hands over their keys and thanks you for helping them.

I'm glad nobody got hurt and hopefully he doesn't risk it next time.

Time to make this thread a little more judgmental. Being bugged by friends/family that do this is one thing. Being in a position to do something about it in the moment and not stopping them is very different. I don't care if someone gets pissed, starts calling you names, or even gets physical, if someone you care about is drunk and you don't do everything you can do get those keys away from them, it's partially on you if they get hurt or they hurt someone else. Talk to them for as long as it takes, call their spouse or their parents, tackle them, or even call the cops, whatever it takes to make sure they don't get behind that wheel.

I think people are too quick to judge. We don't know how often he goes out to drink or how much he drinks, other than a few token anecdotal stories from people. The Brewers were off yesterday so it's not surprising that a younger guy might be out drinking with friends. It's not like he works a regular 9-5 job and had to be in the office today.

Make no mistake, I'm not condoning what Gallardo did. It was reckless and stupid. I can't imagine having a .22 BAC and being able to get into my car, let alone start it up and drive. What's most frustrating is that he obviously had alternatives available (free MLBPA car service, call a cab, whatever) and didn't use them. He only has himself to blame for any consequences he faces, and rightly so.

Having said all that, I don't feel the need to get out a pitchfork and run him out on a rail. Hopefully he owns up to his mistake and learns a valuable lesson. Thankfully no one else was hurt by his actions.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

There are people out there that can be at .4 (5 times the legal limit) and walk and talk perfectly

No way. The only people who can mask the effects of alcohol at high levels are those who regularly consume alcohol at high levels.

But the effects (affects?) are still there. Your judgment, reaction time & coordination are all affected. Gallardo wouldn't have been pulled over if he didn't tip off officers by his behavior behind the wheel.

And Nicholson's point about consuming 12 drinks or 16 or whatever. . .there is never a time when that amount of drinking is a mature, healthy way to use alcohol. Binge drinking is problem drinking.

My wife books people into jail on a regular basis that are at .4 or higher and you'd never know they were drinking if you didn't smell it on them. Yes, these tend to be 'career' drinkers, but the point remains, .22 is not a measure of drunkenness.

There IS no way to determine drunkenness by amount of alcohol consumed. It simply cannot be done. There is no metric. Tolerance, body mass, body mass composition, metabolism, intestinal makeup (length/health/composition of duodenum), liver function, among many other things all factor into how alcohol affects an individual person.

Edit: And yes, Yo was obviously impaired but you seem to be incensed that he was at .22. Would you be somehow less incensed if he had blown .09 and showed the same impairment? And if so, why?

There is always a probability that this was a rare occurrence, he made a mistake, etc, etc, but the circumstances suggest otherwise.

As I said, it's possible that you're right. You may have more info than I do too.

I'm not sure about the performance part specifically. He sucked last April too.

My wife books people into jail on a regular basis that are at .4 or higher and you'd never know they were drinking if you didn't smell it on them. Yes, these tend to be 'career' drinkers, but the point remains, .22 is not a measure of drunkenness.

There IS no way to determine drunkenness by amount of alcohol consumed. It simply cannot be done. There is no metric. Tolerance, body mass, body mass composition, metabolism, intestinal makeup (length/health/composition of duodenum), liver function, among many other things all factor into how alcohol affects an individual person.

And how is it that they end up being booked into jail, if they haven't done anything to indicate their drunkenness?

And how is it that the end up being booked into jail, if they haven't done anything to indicate their drunkenness?

Some are probation holds, child support warrants, any number of reasons. I added this to my post above...

And yes, Yo was obviously impaired but you seem to be incensed that he was at .22. Would you be somehow less incensed if he had blown .09 and showed the same impairment? And if so, why?

Ok, you can't accuse someone of having a drinking problem off of one incident. That's not fair and it's reckless. You have no idea what he was up to that day. You say it wasn't a wedding, but it could have been a big birthday party, or maybe he was sad because his aunt died, or maybe he was just having fun and the day turned in to an out all night deal. Either way, just because a person was drunk, does not mean they are an alcoholic. Too much judgement for the unknown.

Judge him all you want for drinking and driving, if you yourself have never done it. It's stupid and dangerous but people screw up sometimes, a lot of us have. In no way do I condone it but I understand that it's a mistake that many make.

And how is it that the end up being booked into jail, if they haven't done anything to indicate their drunkenness?

Some are probation holds, child support warrants, any number of reasons. I added this to my post above...

And yes, Yo was obviously impaired but you seem to be incensed that he was at .22. Would you be somehow less incensed if he had blown .09 and showed the same impairment? And if so, why?

I would be less upset with a .09 than with a .22, because it takes more than twice as much drinking to get to a .22 than to get to a .09.

You don't get to a .22 without first getting to .09, and then .10, and then .11, and then .12, and then .13, and then .14, and then .15, and then you're at .16, and then .17, then you get to .18. Then after that, you're at .19, and then you would blow a .20. And then a .21, and then a .22. And we don't know if he stopped there, or if he reached .22 on the way down from a higher number.

So it shows terrible judgment on his part to drink so much that he'd get to a .22 mark. And if he was drinking at Leff's the whole time, they have a responsibility to the community to not let people get that drunk. (Understand there is no indication yet that he was there the whole time.)

He was driving while impaired, and drinking in excess led to that impairment.

What an awful excuse and he's 27 years old.

Ok, you can't accuse someone of having a drinking problem off of one incident. That's not fair and it's reckless. You have no idea what he was up to that day. You say it wasn't a wedding, but it could have been a big birthday party, or maybe he was sad because his aunt died, or maybe he was just having fun and the day turned in to an out all night deal. Either way, just because a person was drunk, does not mean they are an alcoholic. Too much judgement for the unknown.

Judge him all you want for drinking and driving, if you yourself have never done it. It's stupid and dangerous but people screw up sometimes, a lot of us have. In no way do I condone it but I understand that it's a mistake that many make.

In my mind, there is a difference between being an alcoholic and having a drinking problem. I don't have any reason to accuse him of being an alcoholic, but I think even this one incident is enough to indicate that he has a problem.

I think he has an unhealthy or an uninformed relationship with alcohol that has now proven itself to be dangerous to him and the community.

at least they pulled him over for driving too slow, right? better slow than fast

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I can't see how anyone can presume to know if this suggests his performance is regularly hampered by alcohol ingestion. How the hell would any of us know? If he was scheduled to start today, sure but he doesn't pitch until Thursday.

He was caught at .22, and unless he was drinking in the car, that means at some point, his BAC was higher than that.

I don't believe that is true.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That's sort of a strawman. The original poster said that anyone who has a .22 BAC has a problem and that is not the case.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived