Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo arrested for OWI - Blood level nearly three times limit at .22

AZBrewCrew

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Idiot
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I dont know the WI DUI laws well (other than the first offense is usually a slap on the wrist) but would a .22 warrant a higher penalty?

McLaughlin said Gallardo -- who has no prior criminal record -- will not face jail time but will receive citations of $300 for operating while intoxicated -- first offense, with an extra $300 because of the level of intoxication and $178.80 for lane deviation.

Ridiculously too low a penalty for the level of alcohol in his system.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I know them very well.

The only extra penalty is the excess fee stated and he will have to get an interlock ignition system in his vehicle (anything over .15). In addition to the fines, he'll have to take 21 hours of classes ($300), get an alcohol assessment ($300) and his license will be suspended for 6 months. He can get a work permit. $200 to get it reinstated after the suspension. Obviously all of this stuff is pretty moot for a pro athlete.

Unfortunately I once got a DUI, I was at .09. Driving home from family Christmas party, sped a little bit, etc. I know WI does have comparatively soft laws, but don't be mistaken, a first DUI is a major pain in the ass for a regular guy. $2k in up-front costs, much, much more if you get a lawyer, which I didn't. I knew I was stupid and took it. And that doesn't even count the skyrocketing insurance you'll be paying for years.

It's plenty of reason to never do it again, which I haven't and won't. The people who get multiple offenses have problems.

Cue the "I'd be drinking too if I was on this years Brewers squad" joke.

Seriously though, no excuse for this, get a driver, get a cab, call someone in the bullpen (at least they would be good for something). I understand making stupid decisions when you've had too much to drink (believe me I've had my fair share), but there is no excuse when you go out to not have a plan on how you are getting home that doesn't involve driving drunk. Especially when money is not an issue.

All we can hope for is this is a wake up call, as you know this is most likely not the first time he has done this, just the first time he has gotten caught.

Every time I feel this team has hit rock bottom something worse happens. Did not think it could get worse than the first half of last year, but they have definitely attempted to prove me wrong.

Where does Yo live? Brookfield? If so, that's like a $55 cab ride.

all players in MLBPA have a free car service for such times as these. Every player gets a card with a number on it that will send a car to drive the player home. For Free. It works in any city at any time.

Why wouldn't Yo use this service? Doesn't make sense.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Wisconsin has pretty lenient penalties for OUI/DWI's, unfortunately. It's led to people with multiple incidents on their record continuing to drive and endangering the public needlessly.

If this is true, and all indications are so, I've lost a ton of respect for Gallardo as a person - I don't even care about the nightlife and don't want to get into how off the field activities may or may not impact on the field performance...people with his means and the resources afforded to professional athletes (protection, car services) have absolutely no excuse to get behind the wheel after getting drunk.

Seems to me Hancock from the Cardinals had a similar nighttime incident to Gallardo - To me the only difference was how the incident ended. When you're that drunk you really have no control over ending your night with an arrest/traffic ticket or a toe ticket, it's just random chance.

I'd be drinking too if I was pitching this poorly and still crapping the bed whenever I faced St. Louis

Of course I'm kidding. But he keeps disappointing me & now this...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

.22 is probably like 10 beers in 2-3 hours right?

I have experienced being that drunk before and even in that mindset knew enough to not drive. Trying to drive when you have a .10 BAC is one thing; trying to drive .22 BAC when you know damn well you shouldn't be driving is quite another.

He made a poor choice, but I really don't care. If he was scheduled to pitch today I would be upset because he'd be hungover. Everyone who lives in WI knows at least one person with a DUI. They aren't bad people. They just did something stupid.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Remember the good ole days when our stars were in the news for hitting HRs and pitching complete games? That was fun... Now it's PEDs, domestic violence, and DUI...

Yo has never really taken a big jump forward, he's pretty much been the same 6 inning guy for years now, logically people are going to start asking questions about his drinking impacting his playing career.

Given the resources at his disposal it's difficult to fathom being in that situation and I do realize that he's just a person who's going to make mistakes, but .22?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I guess I am a little surprised because I see Gallardo at the Boston Market, Chili's and other places in Brookfield with his family more than I have seen any other player. Based on that I thought he was a family man that would not put his family and others in danger like that. Real poor decision.

His ERA is 3 times the legal limit too. Ok that's my bad joke for the thread.

He messed up, let's not make him in to a horrible person for this. Bad mistake, you bet, bad person, no.

I will add this just isn't great when we are playing so bad. Sure makes things look worse.

Pretty judgmental thread. I too would be a lot more upset if he was scheduled to start today. This is his first offense, he's a guy in his 20's that made a really stupid decision.

Plenty of people reading (and writing) in this thread have had way too much to drink and gotten behind the wheel at least a time or two. I have friends that do it all the time and it bugs me, but I'm not their father and if you've ever tried to do something about that in the past - you know that real life is not like an after-school special where your friend hands over their keys and thanks you for helping them.

I'm glad nobody got hurt and hopefully he doesn't risk it next time.

Archived