Brewer Fanatic

Cubs to renovate Wrigley

Dragonbait
This 100%.

Wrigley is an open sewer and should be leveled immediately.

All these arguments about "charm" and "tradition" crack me up. I prefer "parking" and "urinals" personally.

I think a lot of the Wrigley hate is overblown. While I avoid the Lakeview neighborhood as much as I can, Wrigley itself isn't bad. The food selections are much better. They have added a lot of bathrooms, including ones with urinals, over the years. Yea, parking sucks. But it pretty much does at any downtown park, that's why there is public transportation.

The only real complaints I have are the lack of video replay if you aren't sitting near a tv in the stands and when I was there earlier this year I was unable to find the pitch speed display (which was there in previous years). And I think the players have some viable gripes when it comes to their facilities.

I honestly didn't know that because I have been there in about 10 years. I simply won't go anymore. It's a terrible stadium and a huge hassle to get to IMO.

The thing that kills me is this talk of "tradition". What tradition? Losing 90 games a year?

Well, a year ago someone who didn't live in MKE could have been complaining about how bad Milwaukee's stadium was if they hadn't attended a home game in 10 years.

When you did go, did you take public transportation? I actually think its much easier to get away from Wrigley after the game than it is from Miller Park.

I think a lot of the Wrigley hate is overblown. While I avoid the Lakeview neighborhood as much as I can, Wrigley itself isn't bad. The food selections are much better. They have added a lot of bathrooms, including ones with urinals, over the years. Yea, parking sucks. But it pretty much does at any downtown park, that's why there is public transportation.

The only real complaints I have are the lack of video replay if you aren't sitting near a tv in the stands and when I was there earlier this year I was unable to find the pitch speed display (which was there in previous years). And I think the players have some viable gripes when it comes to their facilities.

I honestly didn't know that because I have been there in about 10 years. I simply won't go anymore. It's a terrible stadium and a huge hassle to get to IMO.

The thing that kills me is this talk of "tradition". What tradition? Losing 90 games a year?

Well, a year ago someone who didn't live in MKE could have been complaining about how bad Milwaukee's stadium was if they hadn't attended a home game in 10 years.

When you did go, did you take public transportation? I actually think its much easier to get away from Wrigley after the game than it is from Miller Park.

Actually I would've said the same thing about County Stadium 15 years ago. It needed to go, and I'm glad it did.

Last time I went, I took a cab from my hotel, but I have taken the train to Wrigley many times. I just don't see why anyone would want that type of situation, in terms of traffic, bathrooms, and just a tiny tiny environment when something more modern could be built. God knows they could afford to put it just about anywhere in the greater Chicago area.

As Sconnies, we have a similar situation with Lambeau. Sure, a brand new stadium would've been awesome in a lot of ways. But renovating it & retaining the historic stadium was a far better decision. Fortunately Lambeau isn't constrained in the same manner Wrigley is, making renovations much easier to pursue. From what little I've seen about the Wrigley plans, they look pretty cool. Hopefully all the structural concerns have been or will soon be sorted out.

True but I don't think there's a big connection with the neighborhood surrounding Lambeau as there is with Wrigley.

I agree with that

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Actually I would've said the same thing about County Stadium 15 years ago. It needed to go, and I'm glad it did.

Last time I went, I took a cab from my hotel, but I have taken the train to Wrigley many times. I just don't see why anyone would want that type of situation, in terms of traffic, bathrooms, and just a tiny tiny environment when something more modern could be built. God knows they could afford to put it just about anywhere in the greater Chicago area.

Well, I mean the traffic and people density thing is just Chicago in general. And having the stadium where its currently located is more convenient for most people than moving it to a less dense area.

As Sconnies, we have a similar situation with Lambeau. Sure, a brand new stadium would've been awesome in a lot of ways. But renovating it & retaining the historic stadium was a far better decision. Fortunately Lambeau isn't constrained in the same manner Wrigley is, making renovations much easier to pursue. From what little I've seen about the Wrigley plans, they look pretty cool. Hopefully all the structural concerns have been or will soon be sorted out.

True but I don't think there's a big connection with the neighborhood surrounding Lambeau as there is with Wrigley.

I'm not so sure of that. The whole city of Green bay is about the same size. I've been to both and there is something cool about the wriggly bar scene but the people who live near it seemed less festive than the Lambeau residents are. I guess that was a long time ago when I was there with friends who lived near by. It was right around the time they started playing night games. The people I talked to really hated the idea of lights and night games back then so maybe that tempered my view of that connection. Lambeau is a carnival far beyond the parking lots. A lot of people in the residential neighborhood right by it host parties and sell parking space. I have never heard anyone say a negative thing about the hustle and bustle of living near the field. It's kind of a point of pride to live close to it. Then again there are only 8 games in Lambeau so it's a bit of apples and oranges.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My first apartment was a historical dump too, but don't think that should be re-built.

I'm glad the Cubs are doing this. A truly modern park on the edge of the city could make then droves of $.

Archived