Brewer Fanatic

Cubs to renovate Wrigley

Dragonbait

I've never gotten the allure of that park. Seems to me it needs to be rebuilt virtually from the ground up. What is it with Chicago anyway? Soldier Field is falling down, so they build another stadium and leave up some ugly columns, and they now have the smallest capacity, a stadium without sufficient restrooms and no roof just so they can still call it Soldier Field? The White Sox were offered a sweet deal in Addison but chose to remain in an area that nobody wants to visit.

When Rosemont offered free land to build a new park on, people reacted like Rosemont was in Montana even though for the vast majority of Cub fans, it would be much easier to get to than Wrigley and it's closer to downtown than O'hare.

I wish the Cubs the same luck they've had in the old Wrigley.

To add to the list of headscratchers, DePaul was also offered free rent at the United Center and passed it up. Would make sense to build/find a place to play closer to their campus, but they're going to spend money to move even further away than the UC for an arena.

I had heard that idea floated, but haven't seen confirmation Invader.

Given the collective luck of Brewers and Cubs fans Chicago will probably win the World Series the year they play all of their home games at Miller Park.

I've never gotten the allure of that park. Seems to me it needs to be rebuilt virtually from the ground up. What is it with Chicago anyway? Soldier Field is falling down, so they build another stadium and leave up some ugly columns, and they now have the smallest capacity, a stadium without sufficient restrooms and no roof just so they can still call it Soldier Field? The White Sox were offered a sweet deal in Addison but chose to remain in an area that nobody wants to visit.

When Rosemont offered free land to build a new park on, people reacted like Rosemont was in Montana even though for the vast majority of Cub fans, it would be much easier to get to than Wrigley and it's closer to downtown than O'hare.

I wish the Cubs the same luck they've had in the old Wrigley.

35th is fine. Its practically Pilsen or Chinatown now. I'm glad the White Sox didn't move to Addison.

I think you are completely wrong about Rosemont too. A good percentage of Cubs fans live along the Redline, so Wriggley is easy to get to. I'm not going to defend that park or Lakeview in general, but there was zero chance the Cubs were moving out of that neighborhood.

Community Moderator

Wrigley Field is my favorite ballpark (except for Miller Park of course). Looking at the renderings, it seems like they are going to do a great job preserving the charm. Only very minor aesthetic changes, mostly the addition of clubs/restaurants. I doubt they will miss any home games. The only thing I worry about is the new left field scoreboard which was not included in the drawings. It's supposed to be the same size as the Miller Park scoreboard.

The Cubs can't be separated from Wrigley Field. It's part of who they are.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wrigley is the third most popular tourist attraction in the state. No way it was moving.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's neat to say I've been to games there. It was never a problem walking up and buying Brewers-Cubs tickets at the window. I never got the myth of Wrigley always being sold out. But man, what a dump!!! Terrible sight lines, uncomfortable seats, and falling concrete

The only way I know how to renovate that dump:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/DatHoser/wrecking-ball.jpg

This 100%.

Wrigley is an open sewer and should be leveled immediately.

All these arguments about "charm" and "tradition" crack me up. I prefer "parking" and "urinals" personally.

I'm probobly stating the obvious but I think a reason Wrigley is so respected is it's age. The ballpark is the second oldest and one of the last non-modern stadiums that still exists. The stadium is a dump yeah, but it being a dump is why its special.

I think the playing field, bleachers, and scoreboard are charming as heck. And I much prefer a ballpark in a neighborhood as opposed to the middle of a parking lot (oh no!) but the rest of Wrigley is awful.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This 100%.

All these arguments about "charm" and "tradition" crack me up. I prefer "parking" and "urinals" personally.

I think a lot of the Wrigley hate is overblown. While I avoid the Lakeview neighborhood as much as I can, Wrigley itself isn't bad. The food selections are much better. They have added a lot of bathrooms, including ones with urinals, over the years. Yea, parking sucks. But it pretty much does at any downtown park, that's why there is public transportation.

The only real complaints I have are the lack of video replay if you aren't sitting near a tv in the stands and when I was there earlier this year I was unable to find the pitch speed display (which was there in previous years). And I think the players have some viable gripes when it comes to their facilities.

This 100%.

I think a lot of the Wrigley hate is overblown. While I avoid the Lakeview neighborhood as much as I can, Wrigley itself isn't bad. The food selections are much better. They have added a lot of bathrooms, including ones with urinals, over the years. Yea, parking sucks. But it pretty much does at any downtown park, that's why there is public transportation.

The only real complaints I have are the lack of video replay if you aren't sitting near a tv in the stands and when I was there earlier this year I was unable to find the pitch speed display (which was there in previous years). And I think the players have some viable gripes when it comes to their facilities.

I honestly didn't know that because I have been there in about 10 years. I simply won't go anymore. It's a terrible stadium and a huge hassle to get to IMO.

The thing that kills me is this talk of "tradition". What tradition? Losing 90 games a year?

The thing that kills me is this talk of "tradition". What tradition? Losing 90 games a year?

It's the second oldest park in the league by two years, and the next-oldest stadium isn't even close. It's completely unique & loaded with history.

Yes, I know, screw the Cubs. But come on.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's the second oldest park in the league by two years, and the next-oldest stadium isn't even close. It's completely unique & loaded with history.

Yes, I know, screw the Cubs. But come on.

Yeah, this. If Tiger Stadium and Yankee Stadium were still around, then maybe Wrigley could be leveled. But now it's such a unique environment that I support it's preservation. Then again, it isn't my home park, so it's easy for me to say. The charm is only charming when you are inconvenienced on rare occasions. If I were a Cubs fan who went to lots of games I would have wanted new stadium 20 years ago.

I think they should just build a new retractable roof stadium and leave Wrigley as it is. Play day games from May to September at Wrigley, and play April games, night games, and bad weather games at a real stadium.

As Sconnies, we have a similar situation with Lambeau. Sure, a brand new stadium would've been awesome in a lot of ways. But renovating it & retaining the historic stadium was a far better decision. Fortunately Lambeau isn't constrained in the same manner Wrigley is, making renovations much easier to pursue. From what little I've seen about the Wrigley plans, they look pretty cool. Hopefully all the structural concerns have been or will soon be sorted out.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's neat to say I've been to games there. It was never a problem walking up and buying Brewers-Cubs tickets at the window. I never got the myth of Wrigley always being sold out. But man, what a dump!!! Terrible sight lines, uncomfortable seats, and falling concrete

That was my experience. That and the slight smell of urine that hung around my seat for some odd reason.

Isn't it a national historic landmark? I know it was designated as eligible but don't remember if it ever became one? If it is they can't demolish it can they?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

As Sconnies, we have a similar situation with Lambeau. Sure, a brand new stadium would've been awesome in a lot of ways. But renovating it & retaining the historic stadium was a far better decision. Fortunately Lambeau isn't constrained in the same manner Wrigley is, making renovations much easier to pursue. From what little I've seen about the Wrigley plans, they look pretty cool. Hopefully all the structural concerns have been or will soon be sorted out.

Yeah, except Lambeau is awesome. I'm not a Packer fan, but my whole family is, and I go there every chance I get.

Wrigley sucks top to bottom.

It just occured to me that my stupid username might be betraying me here. I don't even hate the Cubs that much.

:laughing

True but I don't think there's a big connection with the neighborhood surrounding Lambeau as there is with Wrigley.

Archived