Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 4/15 - Sounds, Burgos nipped in matinee; Stars walk off; Rattlers roll

Mass Haas

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Hiram Burgos at Omaha (Royals), 10:50 AM pre-game, 11:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Jimmy Nelson at home vs. Tennessee (Cubs), 6:18 PM pre-game, 6:43 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

Alex Cohen is the play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast. It appears four Southern League teams air their home games on MiLB.TV, and we'll let you know when those dates pop up on the schedule.

Brevard County: RHP Drew Gagnon at home vs. Lakeland (Tigers), 5:05 PM pre-game, 5:35 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Brevard County feed from the MiLB main audio page

Manatees audio, hooray! Dave Walkovic is the first play-by-play voice of the 'Tees since 2007, he's joined by Andy Towne; follow the Brevard broadcast booth staff on Twitter @BCManateesRadio. All home games and many road games are scheduled to be broadcast. When road games are only available via the opponents' audio feed, we'll let you know that.

NOTE: Dave indicates that he hopes to include a pre-game interview prior to each game; it's a 30-minute pre-game! We'll fill you in if Brevard masters archiving a la Nashville and/or Helena.

Wisconsin: RHP Damien Magnifico or RHP Leonard Lorenzo at Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, Stars' road games from four Southern League locales, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

NOTE: 32 of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel has seventeen games scheduled and WACY-TV My NEW32 plans to show fifteen games. We'll let you know when, but won't be providing day-before DVR reminders, so regularly check for proper channel and time planning (scroll to the bottom of this link).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for Nashville and Wisconsin media notes at the links just prior to their game times.

New this season: Brevard County has media notes; as of now, it's a unique link each day, but look for it just prior to game time each day within the "Stats and Scores" banner here.

Once we're aware of the new online location for Huntsville's Media Notes this season, we'll let you know. (Coming soon, we're told!)

i can't seem to access nashville sounds gameday audio. the bar is green, telling me they're not broadcasting.

I had the same issue, use this link instead.

Sean Halton goes deep as I type this!

It's weird... this audio link is a good 30 seconds or so behind the live box score updates

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Arcia's older brother got the call for the Twins, subscriber piece. It's been a slow last couple of days from a divisional perspective and BA still doesn't have their top weekend performances up (if they'll do that again this year)

The Call-Up: What To Expect From Minnesota OF Oswaldo Arcia

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Jeff Hem just noted that the Sounds were not allowed to wear their pants longer than just below the knees last season, but they're allowed to wear them how they like this season. Additionally, the Royals require all their minor leaguers to wear their pants down to just their knees.

I had no idea this was a thing. What the heck? Why would you require all your minor leaguers to do this? Some corporate-speak nonsense about building unity?

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Jeff Hem just noted that the Sounds were not allowed to wear their pants longer than just below the knees last season, but they're allowed to wear them how they like this season. Additionally, the Royals require all their minor leaguers to wear their pants down to just their knees.

I had no idea this was a thing. What the heck? Why would you require all your minor leaguers to do this? Some corporate-speak nonsense about building unity?

Absolutely was in place for at least the past two seasons, if not longer. Think back to every single farmhand photo we've seen during that time (Bill Mitchell, Brad Krause). They may have eased the restriction only at the higher levels this season, not quite sure if it's throughout. There were some excited tweets among players upon reporting to camp early this spring.

Well, Kevin Youkilis had to shave his infamous goatee for the Yankees this year, they've had their facial hair policy in place forever.

Some corporate-speak nonsense about building unity?

Nope, an organizational uniform appearance policy, this goes back all the way to the first year of the T-Rats being a Brewer affiliate, I was discussing the policy with both sets of pitchers who were charting pitches one summer evening behind home plate. The Brewers had a policy but the opposing team did not, I no longer remember who they were affiliated with at the time, I want to say it was the Angels but I'm not sure.

As a coach for many reasons that I won't go into here I'm in favor of standard appearance guidelines, if nothing else at least you have a professional appearance going for you.

Ohh, and I like the high pants look myself and always have, and I honestly miss leggings. Old school all the way baby! ;)

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sounds Drop Cold One In Omaha; Lose Series

Nashville's OF Sean Halton Goes Deep In 3-2 Loss

Nashville Sounds

http://i.imgur.com/bzfOFIp.jpg

Sean Halton (Mike Strasinger / Nashville Sounds)

PAPILLION, Neb. - Despite outhitting their opponent Monday morning while battling light snow flurries in 36 degree temps, the Nashville Sounds were edged 3-2 by the Omaha Storm Chasers at Werner Park, dropping the series, 3-1.

With the game tied at 2-2 in the seventh, Omaha left fielder Xavier Nady jumped on Hiram Burgos' (0-2) 70th pitch for a wind-aided home run to right field that proved to be the game winner.

Burgos allowed each of the Storm Chasers three runs on six hits across 6 2/3 innings, the longest outing by a Sounds pitcher this season, and was charged with the loss, his second.

Omaha cashed in David Lough's lead-off triple in the first inning with Johnny Giavotella's RBI-single to left field. Giavotella touched Burgos again in the fourth for a game-tying solo home run.

Burgos tossed 79 pitches in his third start of the year and threw 55 for strikes, offering no walks and fanning four Chasers before Nashville called on Donovan Hand from the bullpen. The right-handed reliever finished the game for the Sounds, collecting 1 1/3 innings of scoreless baseball, and now holds seven scoreless innings in four appearances in 2013.

Offensively, Sounds outfielder Sean Halton tied the game 1-1 in the second inning by cracking his first home run of the season over the wall in left field. In the following inning, the Sounds connected on two hits to take the lead. After designated hitter Joey Paciorek drew a walk and advanced to second on Scooter Gennett's line drive to center field, Sounds shortstop Ozzie Chavez hit a single into left field to score Paciorek for the 2-1 lead.

Nashville nearly scored a go-ahead run in the top of the seventh, on Chavez's single to left field, but Hainley Statia was tagged out at home while trying to score from second. Statia reached base on balls and moved to second on Paciorek's sacrifice bunt.

Stephen Parker and catcher Anderson De La Rosa extended their season-high hitting streaks to six and four games respectively, while infielders Scooter Gennett and Chavez led the team with two hits apiece.

Picking up the win for Omaha was starter Chris Dwyer (2-1), who allowed two runs through seven innings, fanning seven and walking three. Michael Mariot picked up his second save.

The Sounds travel to De Moines, Iowa, this afternoon to begin a four-game series Tuesday with the Iowa Cubs. Starting on the hill for the Sounds will be RHP Frankie De La Cruz (1-0, 0.00) against Iowa's LHP Brooks Raley (0-2, 4.91). The game will be broadcast on the Sounds' flagship station 102.5 FM "The Game" as well as NashvilleSounds.com; Jeff Hem on the call.

Nashville Box

Gennett: 2-5

Chavez: 2-5, RBI

Cole Garner: 1-4, SB

Halton: 1-3, HR, RBI, BB

Parker: 1-3, BB

De La Rosa: 1-4

Statia: 0-3, BB

Paciorek: 0-1, BB

[pre]Burgos: 6.2 IP 6 H 3 R 3 ER 0 BB 4 K 79 TP (55 strikes) 6:7 GO:FO

Hand: 1.1 IP 1 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 0 K[/pre]

Nashville PbP

The Sounds had a shot to cash in more in the 3rd, but literally whiffed on the opportunity:

Nashville Top of the 3rd

-Hainley Statia grounds out, third baseman Brandon Wood to first baseman Chad Tracy.

-Joey Paciorek walks.

-Scooter Gennett singles on a line drive to center fielder David Lough. Joey Paciorek to 2nd.

-Ozzie Chavez singles on a ground ball to left fielder Xavier Nady. Joey Paciorek scores. Scooter Gennett to 2nd.

-Hunter Morris strikes out swinging.

-Cole Garner strikes out swinging.

They couldn't keep a two-out rally going in the 6th:

Nashville Top of the 6th

-Hunter Morris flies out to right fielder Irving Falu.

-Cole Garner grounds out, shortstop Christian Colon to first baseman Chad Tracy.

-Sean Halton walks.

-Stephen Parker singles on a line drive to center fielder David Lough. Sean Halton to 2nd.

-Anderson De La Rosa flies out to center fielder David Lough.

And another chance went begging in the 8th, after Xavier Nady put Oklahoma ahead by one with a solo HR in the bottom of the 7th. Tough loss today:

Nashville Top of the 8th

-Pitching Change: Donnie Joseph replaces Chris Dwyer.

-Hunter Morris strikes out swinging.

-Cole Garner singles on a line drive to right fielder Irving Falu.

-Sean Halton flies out to right fielder Irving Falu.

-With Stephen Parker batting, passed ball by Brett Hayes, Cole Garner to 2nd.

-Stephen Parker walks. Cole Garner to 3rd. Cole Garner steals (1) 3rd base.

-Anderson De La Rosa grounds into a force out, third baseman Brandon Wood to second baseman Johnny Giavotella. Stephen Parker out at 2nd.

Nashville Gameday

As the case in his first 2 starts, Jimmy Nelson allowed a run in the 1st.

Tennessee Top of the 1st

Matt Szczur singles on a line drive to left fielder Rene Tosoni.

With Arismendy Alcantara batting, wild pitch by Jimmy Nelson, Matt Szczur to 2nd.

Arismendy Alcantara flies out to center fielder Brock Kjeldgaard.

Jae-Hoon Ha hits a ground-rule double (3) on a fly ball down the left-field line. Matt Szczur scores.

Justin Bour strikes out swinging.

Christian Villanueva strikes out swinging.

That ground rule double that drove in the run, it went under, not over, the fence.

MiLB's weekly awards feature continue... Ryan Searle a Cubs' prospect is the only divisional winner

Pitchers of the Week

- Plato

- Plato

Archived