Brewer Fanatic

Sean Halton: Call Him Up?

Well, Narveson was taken off of the 40-man for a reason, and it's not because anyone on the 60-day DL is coming back presently. They need to make room for someone, either to promote who is not on the 40-man (Halton) or for prospects coming back in a trade (Valverde DFA'd by the Tigers today).

They could be waiting to see what shape their bullpen is in after Saturday's game. If they can get a good outing from Hand with minimal strain on the bullpen it may open a door for Halton, but if the bullpen is stressed they may need to call up a 13th pitcher.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The question is not if Yuni should be getting those at bats rather are those at bats more valuable to the team/prospect than more regular playing time in the minors. I think some people are overvaluing useful a few AB's in the majors is for prospect development. I think it can be useful at times. But I think those times are more for guys who have shown they are capable of handling it. I just don't see guys who are barely competent at AAA as being at that level yet.

The thing is that it quickly becomes more than 'a few AB's'. Through June 20, Yuni had 44 ABs in June. That's 66 in a month. We're talking 200 ABs over a three month period. I'd rather give that to Bianchi and see how he holds up in a semi-regular basis.

I totally agree that some guys are better off in the minors. But a guy like Bianchi should just get a little playing time to see if he's part of the future of this club.

That's my opinion.

The question is not if Yuni should be getting those at bats rather are those at bats more valuable to the team/prospect than more regular playing time in the minors. I think some people are overvaluing useful a few AB's in the majors is for prospect development. I think it can be useful at times. But I think those times are more for guys who have shown they are capable of handling it. I just don't see guys who are barely competent at AAA as being at that level yet.

The thing is that it quickly becomes more than 'a few AB's'. Through June 20, Yuni had 44 ABs in June. That's 66 in a month. We're talking 200 ABs over a three month period. I'd rather give that to Bianchi and see how he holds up in a semi-regular basis.

I totally agree that some guys are better off in the minors. But a guy like Bianchi should just get a little playing time to see if he's part of the future of this club.

That's my opinion.

Yeah, it's not like anyone thinks Bianchi is any kind of starter in the future. He's never going to get regular ABs except for in case of injury, so he might as well learn on the job at this point.

At this point, I think Yuni B is irrelevant to the conversation. While he might have some use on a contending team just looking for a backup with a floor, although that's obviously not as a regular first baseman, he's certainly expendable on a struggling team neither being part of the future or a key to getting back into the race.

To me the question is: Is Halton (or Morris) ready? If so, he probably should be up getting some regular ABs until Hart comes back. There's really no need to protect him from Super Two status at this point. It's not like Juan Francisco is playing so well that he's earned a ton of ABs. I can see the argument that getting irregular ABs isn't likely to help, but honestly it's hard for me to figure out how the Brewers could get less out of first base as it is. Call him up, give him some regular ABs, and it's likely the best thing for the Brewers for the present and future.

Hell, I'd like to see someone out there that can actually play the position.

Well, Narveson was taken off of the 40-man for a reason, and it's not because anyone on the 60-day DL is coming back presently. They need to make room for someone, either to promote who is not on the 40-man (Halton) or for prospects coming back in a trade (Valverde DFA'd by the Tigers today).

They could be waiting to see what shape their bullpen is in after Saturday's game. If they can get a good outing from Hand with minimal strain on the bullpen it may open a door for Halton, but if the bullpen is stressed they may need to call up a 13th pitcher.

Narveson was taken off the 40-man simply because they didn't want to add him to the big league roster. He has no options left, so outrighting him was necessary. Likely nothing more to it than that. They weren't just out trying to create space on the 40-man.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Yuni is down to .205/.233/.345. I have to believe that any day now he'll be released and Halton will be called up in his place. They are probably looking at adding someone outside the organization to help fill in the AAA outfield. I also think they could move up Kentrail Davis to Nashville too. Why it's taken so long is puzzling. It's not like the coaching staff is unfamiliar with Halton. He spent the entire spring with the big club, even playing in the games at Miller Park against the White Sox.

Absolutely agree. My contention all along is that Yuni is not blocking Halton or Morris from coming up. Right now Francisco is. I would much rather see Bianchi get Yuni's ab's.

To me the question is: Is Halton (or Morris) ready? If so, he probably should be up getting some regular ABs until Hart comes back. There's really no need to protect him from Super Two status at this point. It's not like Juan Francisco is playing so well that he's earned a ton of ABs. I can see the argument that getting irregular ABs isn't likely to help, but honestly it's hard for me to figure out how the Brewers could get less out of first base as it is. Call him up, give him some regular ABs, and it's likely the best thing for the Brewers for the present and future.

I think it takes a little more time to tell with Francisco. It doesn't look good right now but keep in mind he outperformed Halton and Morris in AAA before he got his shot. That should probably tell us something about how ready Halton or Morris are now. Why push someone beyond their present capabilities when it isn't going to change the fortunes of the season anyway? I really don't think rushing someone beyond their capabilities is the best thing for the Brewers either in the present of the future. I realize there are those who believe pushing players makes them better in the long run. Whether it's getting their feet wet or letting them know what they have to do or whatever. If you do I understand the desire to get them up. I just don't buy into that theory. One thing I don't think makes any sense at all is to rush someone up to see what we have in them. How can you tell that if they are not ready for that level yet?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think it takes a little more time to tell with Francisco. It doesn't look good right now but keep in mind he outperformed Halton and Morris in AAA before he got his shot. That should probably tell us something about how ready Halton or Morris are now. Why push someone beyond their present capabilities when it isn't going to change the fortunes of the season anyway? I really don't think rushing someone beyond their capabilities is the best thing for the Brewers either in the present of the future. I realize there are those who believe pushing players makes them better in the long run. Whether it's getting their feet wet or letting them know what they have to do or whatever. If you do I understand the desire to get them up. I just don't buy into that theory. One thing I don't think makes any sense at all is to rush someone up to see what we have in them. How can you tell that if they are not ready for that level yet?

And Francisco already washed out of one organization. And it's hard to be successful when you swing at garbage all the time. I'm sure Jeff Francouer had better AAA numbers than Halton and Morris too, but when the book goes out that pitchers don't have to throw strikes to get you out, nothing less than a change in approach is going to fix that. I've seen no signs of that from Francisco.

But, as I said, if you don't think Halton or Morris are ready, that's a reason to leave them in AAA. If you do, there's no reason to not get them regular ABs at the major league level. Nobody is being blocked based on performance on the major league club, that's for sure.

Can either Morris or Halton play anywhere other than first? If hart is gone next season and they are both ready...what would the plan be?

they'll platoon LF when braun serves his 100 game suspension

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

And Francisco already washed out of one organization. And it's hard to be successful when you swing at garbage all the time. I'm sure Jeff Francouer had better AAA numbers than Halton and Morris too, but when the book goes out that pitchers don't have to throw strikes to get you out, nothing less than a change in approach is going to fix that. I've seen no signs of that from Francisco.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope but I think it's worth giving him the chance to figure it out. I think he figured out how to hit AAA pitching without changing his approach so I think if he is going to figure it out it is going to have to come at this level. Given the season is lost and the other two can learn a lot at AAA yet why not let him play and see if he can figure it out? If he figures it out even a little we get something for almost nothing. If he doesn't so what? He isn't blocking someone who is ready and the team is going nowhere fast with or without him. If at some point the Brewers feel one of the other two are ready and he isn't improving then make the move.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Francouer has never played in AAA.

If you only look at AA numbers between the three, Francisco and Francouer were quite similar, but Morris was a bit better

Halton has played LF primarily this season. Not saying I necessarily think he'd be a good LF option in the bigs, though.

Halton's been playing more RF of late. He also played one full game at 3B last year. Given the lack of talent at that spot in the system, they should have had him do some work their in the spring.

Archived