Brewer Fanatic

Sean Halton: Call Him Up?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping Bianchi or Green come back soon then both Yuni and Lali can be released and taken off the 40 man and Halton/Morris can be brought up until Hart comes back. The Brewers are likely going to be in the same spot next year and they probably should at least take a look at both to see who their best option is out of Morris/Halton/Gamel.

I fear they don't have a plan, they certainly didn't have a good one this year. I hope they realize how under fire they will be if the same thing happens next year. With that said, Halton/Gamel/Morris will be on the 40 man next year if they are with the organization.

Morris looked so overmatched in Spring Training that apparently the Brewers brass thinks it is best to give him extra time in AAA to build his confidence and/or work on his mechanics. I think he remains a strong prospect in the Brewers' eyes

No idea on Halton though.

I believe the thinking with Lalli is that with Maldonado playing so much 1B they want an additional Catcher. I don't completely get that

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Right around now is the date where you can bring a guy up and add a year to their service time so I just keep praying that we are waiting for that date~. The 1B situation is just beyond odd at this point. When Hart might be back on May 1st and we were healthy everywhere else I got it, now it is just bad.

Right around now is the date where you can bring a guy up and add a year to their service time so I just keep praying that we are waiting for that date~.

What if he is only brought up for a month and half and sent back down when Hart comes back? That should still mean 6 years of control when he is brought up fulltime. Segura had more MLB time last year, and the Brewers have six years of control starting this year. Does the time of year when brought up change when the clock starts?

Right around now is the date where you can bring a guy up and add a year to their service time so I just keep praying that we are waiting for that date~. The 1B situation is just beyond odd at this point. When Hart might be back on May 1st and we were healthy everywhere else I got it, now it is just bad.

I don't understand it either. Morris was a very early cut in spring. Halton stuck around the entire spring and really did just as well as anyone they've played there. Halton's service time shouldn't be an issue should it? He's likely at best to be a nice utility guy at the major league level that can play corner OF and corner IF and hit. He makes more sense than playing catchers and backup middle infielders there.

Does the time of year when brought up change when the clock starts?

No, it's total time on the 25-man roster. He isn't on the 40-man roster so that may be the issue. He is already in AAA though so he would still have 3 options including this year if he is put on the 40-man roster and sent down. Unless we want to keep him until his mid 30's I don't see any reason to leave him in AAA while Hart is out.

I am not big on either Morris or Halton but we have been going with Yuni at 1B which is just ridiculous.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ive said this before but if a spot on the 40 man is what's keeping us from having a legit 1B (halton) instead of having yun1b, why is Caleb gindl is still on there. He is rediculously expendable at this point. I like the guy but we have enough OF and I bet he clears waivers.

Why.. because that is the business side of professional baseball. During my 7 years as a season ticket holder in Nashville I've seen some really good talent come through that never got the call up. Sean is a GREAT guy..!! We talk before every game and we have a pre-game fist pump and yea, I'd love to see him up.

Morris looked so overmatched in Spring Training that apparently the Brewers brass thinks it is best to give him extra time in AAA to build his confidence and/or work on his mechanics. I think he remains a strong prospect in the Brewers' eyes

No idea on Halton though.

I believe the thinking with Lalli is that with Maldonado playing so much 1B they want an additional Catcher. I don't completely get that

I think looking too much into spring training stats or worrying about a players confidence is a horrible way to build a roster. Look at Jackie Bradley Jr and Aaron Hicks. Both guys lit the world on fire this spring and now are batting under .100 in the bigs.

Bottom line is Morris should be on the team right now playing 1B. Morris has more potential in his pinky toe than the garbage combo of players who have been at first this year have combined.

• 2 months later...

Halton has been the Rodney Dangerfield in the Brewer system for a while. The guy has hit at every level (essentially bypassing low A). While everyone talks about Hunter Morris, Halton is generally ignored. Part of that is despite his size, his power numbers have been fairly modest, and even though his numbers have been solid every year, they haven't been eye popping either. He held his own this spring and lasted with the big club right until the end, but the talk was more about Davis.

Now he's riding an incredibly torrid stretch and putting up better numbers than Morris or Davis. He's also playing corner OF and assuming he's okay there (he's made one OF error), that would seem to enhance his major league chances. I know Yuni can play middle infield and gives them some insurance there, but how long can you go with a .215 hitter at 1b even in a platoon? Halton could also play LF in Braun's absence.

I'm on the Halton bandwagon for sure. At the very least, he's deserving of a September call up assuming his 2nd half numbers match his first half. They'll need to add him to the 40 man, but by then there should be room.

Halton has been the Rodney Dangerfield in the Brewer system for a while

what? is he abnoxious and un-funny or something? I dont get this reference. clearly, he's not dead.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Halton has outhit Morris this season in AAA and he's a year older and has already spent over a year in AAA. I'd like to see Morris continue to get some time in AAA so Halton seems like a pretty decent option right now for the next few weeks (or months...) until Hart gets back. He's pretty much guaranteed to be an upgrade over what they've thrown out there.

i'd welcome giving halton a chance this year, if only to audition him as trade bait. entering spring training with taylor green, mat gamel, hunter morris and sean halton all on the 40-man roster doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Since when did our 40 man roster make any sense?

How many SS and Catchers did we have this season, and how many all at one time on the big club? How many actual 1B did we start the season with?

Making sense is not important to this organization right now.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I recognize that Fielding % is hardly a great stat to prove defensive worth but Halton has had a consistently strong Fielding %

Halton doesn't really hit for power enough to be considered a strong prospect at 1B. He gets on base pretty well but doesn't walk enough to make up for the marginal power

That said, it is true he has outhit Morris this season in AAA. It remains to be seen if Morris' .563 slugging % in AA ball was an anomaly or not because this season he's back to slugging in the .400's again (although he is Slugging .530 vs RHP).

Here's the thing: Morris & Halton could be a very potent platoon together at 1B. Morris slugged .611 vs RHP in 2011 at AA . Halton hit .312 vs LHP for the same team. The fact that Halton can play OF even improves his value

I don't know if either of them could be a dynamic contributor at the MLB level playing 150 games a year, but in a platoon situation the both of them could indeed man 1B together successfully starting in 2014

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived