Brewer Fanatic

2013-04-12 Brewers (Lohse) at Cardinals (Miller), 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-0]

Weeks couldn't look worse at the plate right now.

A very familiar statement...

Is it possible that this guy is just never going to live up to his hype?

I like Rickie, like him a lot, but my patience is running out. His defense isn't good enough to cover for the fact that he sucks with the bat as well.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shows how bad we miss AmRam right now. Adds insult to injury that he was on fire to start the year vs. his traditional .168 April Batting Average.

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Another clutch at bat from Mr.Clutch himself. At least Lohse put up another good outing. At least the rotation looks good. Yovani will be Yovani. Lohse looks like he's going to continue to be productive. Willy has shown a lot of promise. Marco is doing good. I think Fiers will be ok. As long as your #5 does alright, you're fine. The bullpen is bi-polar. The lineup is going to stink until Hart and Aramis return. Segura is really killing it right now.

What do Weeks' "clutchness" statistics look like? For some reason it seems like he is always terrible when it counts, but I'm probably misremembering.

You're not. I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, but I know he's been pretty considerably worse in his career in clutch situations vs. his averages.

Weeks career, in these clutch situations he hits 80% as well as other times

Split G PA AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS tOPS+
2 outs RISP 356 455 382 82 15 4 7 103 64 103 .215 .341 .330 .671 74
Late Close 441 596 514 120 18 8 14 62 53 153 .233 .329 .381 .710 83

Rickie is fine in the clutch, but he is a head case about where he hits in the lineup.

No, he's really not. His numbers suggest otherwise.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9665/weeksclutch.png

These are his career splits (not including tonight's game, of course, as Baseball Reference has not updated yet).

In his career, with two outs and runners in scoring position, Rickie Weeks is a lifetime .215 hitter with a .671 OPS.

In games that are late and close, Weeks is a .233 hitter.

In high leverage situations, again, Weeks is a .215 hitter.

Leverage defined by Baseball Reference.com:

Leverage Index

Within a game, there are plays that are more pivotal than others. We attempt to quantify these plays with a stat called leverage index (LI). LI looks at the possible changes in win probability in a give situation and situations where dramatic swings in win probability are possible (runner on second late in a tie game) have higher LI's than situations where there can be no large change in win probability (late innings of a 12-run blowout).

The stat is normalized so that on average the leverage is 1.00. In tense situations, the leverage is higher than 1.00 (up to about 10) and in low-tension situations the leverage is between 0 and 1.0.

Rickie Weeks is about as far from being a clutch hitter as is humanly possible.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

That's so cute how Yuni fixes his batting gloves trying to make himself look like an actual hitter.

I knew this game thread would be comedic gold and you didn't disappoint, this has been an enjoyable read despite the outcome of the game.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived