Brewer Fanatic

Greinke Fitting In Great Out West

splitterpfj
The catcher set up low & away. So Greinke either missed his spot by a ton or hit Quentin on purpose. I'm not saying I know which one is true, and either one is possible.

Watching the pitch itself, it seemed to have a ton of run on it to the inside, similar to a backup tailing fastball righties try throwing to left handed batters on the same corner of the plate. I think Greinke tried throwing that pitch to the outer 1/2 and didn't get on top of it. But yes, only Greinke knows whether it was intentional for sure.

I think this is the far more likely scenario, fwiw. I think you're exactly right that he didn't get on top of the pitch & it just ran on him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charging the mound is the part that isn't and is idiotic to me. (Unless a pitcher intentionally throws at your head) ... I understand fights have gone on in all sports, but NFL / NBA / NASCAR have really tried to subdue confrontations. Injuries to star players is not in the best interest of the league.

I agree with that. I think intentional HBP and home plate collisions are stupid too (baseball is not a sport where you need violence for it to be exciting).

I just don't think Quentin is a monster for doing what he did since it is sort of "part of the game" (and he did seem to think Greinke was throwing near his head). Some people are saying he deserves a 3+ month suspension... (and ignoring that Greinke could have done a lot more to not provoke the fight). I wonder if that would be the case if the popularity of the respective players were reversed.

I agree with you. Many are labeling Quentin a "monster" when fights happen every week. (And I agree Greinke could have walked away before chirping back at him) ... This fight just resulted in a broken bone to a well liked player. I think some are not happy with the notion that he didn't care either. I think if Quentin came out after the game and said something along the lines of I got caught up in the moment, charged the mound and he ended up hurt. I appologize to Zach as it wasn't my intention to cause physical injury ... yada yada yada. But he didn't. He seemed fine with the result. Thus the monster label.

Quentin is a moron. Can't really add much more than that.

Reading the ESPN recap, it was kind of funny the number of ex-Brewers involved in this. Obviously there's ZG:

"Quentin was led off the field by teammate Mark Kotsay"

"After the teams started going back to the dugouts and bullpens, Jerry Hairston Jr. came running across the field yelling and pointing"

"Los Angeles reliever Chris Capuano was given all the time he needed to warm up"

Davey Lopes also.

I only have one question.... How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?

You know, sometimes you just have to thank someone for steering a discussion to where it needed to go when no one else recognized it. Well done.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...
I just saw the highlights real briefly but thought it was kind of weird that he got hit in the head and it didn't seem to hurt at all. It was interesting to see the old timers Mattingly, Gibson, Trammell, McGwire, Matt Williams and Turner Ward get involved.

Not that I'm advocating escalation necessarily, but I'm sure his teammates appreciate him "protecting" them.

Absolutely!

It was great seeing those old school guys right in the middle of things. I can't help it, but watching video of this event pumps me up!

Can you imagine RRR in this situation? I am picturing him staying in the dugout or "bravely "running away.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Have the Brewers' bench even cleared during Roenicke's time here?

I can't even remember any intense Bench Clearing incidents in recent Brewers history

there was this:

and this

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Lots of video of last night's Dodgers-DBacks beanball wars here

http://mlb.si.com/2013/06/12/watch-zack-greinke-in-the-middle-of-another-bean-brawl-in-l-a/

I know a lot of people felt Greinke provoked the fight with Quentin, but this one is all on Kennedy. He's got to be facing a fine for clearly throwing at someone's head I assume.

There's a funny bit around 4:40ish. I think it was Goldschmidt, was just sort of slowly walking around the outside of the fight, and Hairston comes and pulls him back like he's breaking things up.

You've got to wonder if he is missing Milwaukee right about now...
Just a diehard Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Admirals/Predators fan living the good life in the heart of Buckeye country.

You've got to wonder if he is missing Milwaukee right about now...

Why would he be missing Milwaukee?

He probably wouldn't have been allowed to retaliate in Milwaukee. He did the right thing plunking Montero, that's baseball, but in Milwaukee, nothing would have happened. We would have a player who got hit in the face, RRR might have walked out to the ump, smiled, then turned around and walked back to the dugout. End of story.

I can't believe how composed Greinke was after he got hit. He pretty much just stood there. Adding to the discomfort of the situation, he stood there, talking to Montero, who he just hit... I found that funny. That situation alone could have turned into a big fight.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It sounded like he was sad to leave Milwaukee though.
Just a diehard Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Admirals/Predators fan living the good life in the heart of Buckeye country.

Archived