Brewer Fanatic

Greinke Fitting In Great Out West

splitterpfj

[attachment=0]quentin-greinke-e1365780576850.jpg[/attachment]Zack might have broken his collarbone, but he definately got a low blow in

Edit: Sorry don't know how to post a picture besides an attachment.

Edit 2: WOW just found this picture.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/04/12/041113-Low-Blow-SW-PI_20130412020948303_660_320.JPG

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quentin is a moron. Can't really add much more than that.

Reading the ESPN recap, it was kind of funny the number of ex-Brewers involved in this. Obviously there's ZG:

"Quentin was led off the field by teammate Mark Kotsay"

"After the teams started going back to the dugouts and bullpens, Jerry Hairston Jr. came running across the field yelling and pointing"

"Los Angeles reliever Chris Capuano was given all the time he needed to warm up"

Someone on the Dodgers' social media team won the Twitters last night: Link

That is even more funny that it came from the offical Dodgers account, I can't imagine the Brewers ever doing that to the Cardinals but kind of wish they would have a couple of years ago.

One of my very favorite things that the Brewers organization has done in recent years is to play the Angry Birds theme while the Cardinals' lineup is being introduced.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Wow! I'm not surprised by the broken collarbone after trying to shoulder in with a bull. I do respect Grienke's courage, although it cost him. Quentin is a douche, but I guess it's "part of the game?" I don't understand it. Watching the entire at bat, I don't think he purposely through at him at all. It was a pitch that got away from him, that's it. Greinke had some verbiage under his breath as Quentin stared him down and I think that's what really triggered it. Zack says "f*@%" as Carlos charges, throws down his glove and stood up for himself.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

Per http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2013-04-12/dodgers-padres-brawl-zack-greinke-carlos-quentin-matt-kemp-ejections

Hairston triggered a second incident when he ran toward the Padres' dugout before being restrained by Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso and teammates A.J. Ellis and Skip Schumaker. Hairston told reporters he was angry that the Padres were laughing about Greinke's injury.

If this is true, Jerry gets my vote for the person of the year award.

@BrewCrewCritic: @jimrome #Padres fans are missing the fact that Quentin has been hit 116 times in his career and charged the smallest "offending" pitcher.

This was my take that Jim Rome read on air...pretty sweet.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Quentin has been hit 4 times by 6' 4", 240 lb Nick Blackburn, yet he never charged the mound at him...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I like Greinke too, but let's not distort what happened.

The pitch looked suspicious to me and Quentin only charged the mound after Greinke yelled something at him.

Kemp was the one acting like a crazy person.

The pitch looked suspicious to me and Quentin only charged the mound after Greinke yelled something at him.

Well, Quentin wasn't "charging" the mound before Greinke said something, but he was walking to the mound, not to first base, when Grienke said something. After Grienke said whatever he said Quentin charged.

Suspicious how? It was a full count in a one run game. I think the dodgers had every right to be pissed when it looked like the padres were mocking them and they lost one of their top pitchers.

100% with you Funke, when I first saw the clip last night I was honestly thinking "Run, Zack! Run!"

I don't think Greinke yelled anything at Quentin. I think the situation is very analogous to when Greinke got tossed in the first inning last year when the first base ump took it personally after Greinke spiked the baseball in disgust with himself.

Greinke pitches inside, while Quentin stands on top of the plate and never backs off any inside pitch. 3-2 count, 1-run game, and Greinke's throwing at him on purpose there? Gimme a break. Just watch the catcher's reaction to Quentin as he takes a step or two towards Greinke then decides to charge him. The catcher's looking at him like 'what the heck are you doing?' then he's caught completely offguard by him charging Greinke. Had Greinke meant to drill Quentin, the catcher would have been much more alert about a possible mound charging and never would've let Quentin a free run at him.

Sucks that Greinke got hurt - If I was a Dodger fan I'd wish he would've just thrown his glove at Quentin and then tried to avoid a collision with him until his teammates could get him under control. I respect hitters' rights to go after a pitcher if a pitcher or team is headhunting or throwing at guys intentionally, but Quentin is an idiot and that sort of behavior is just going to get him drilled more.

Because when someone says something that you don't like, you should definitely bum rush him.

Greinke pitches inside, while Quentin stands on top of the plate and never backs off any inside pitch. 3-2 count, 1-run game, and Greinke's throwing at him on purpose there? Gimme a break.

The catcher set up low & away. So Greinke either missed his spot by a ton or hit Quentin on purpose. I'm not saying I know which one is true, and either one is possible.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Because when someone says something that you don't like, you should definitely bum rush him.

I'm not saying sports-fights are rational, but it's a (dumb) sort-of-tradition in the game.

Maybe he was totally wrong, but Quentin seemed to think the HBP was intentional (and was subsequently goaded by Greinke). Assuming that was the case, and if Quentin had been the one to break his collarbone from the pitch, is Greinke still in the right?

I'm not saying sports-fights are rational, but it's a (dumb) sort-of-tradition in the game.

Maybe he was totally wrong, but Quentin seemed to think the HBP was intentional (and was subsequently goaded by Greinke). Assuming that was the case, and if Quentin had been the one to break his collarbone from the pitch, is Greinke still in the right?

HBP is a part of the game and always will be. When you throw 90+ MPH and are trying to fit it into the edges of a tight window, naturally, you will miss. If Greinke were to have broken his colarbone on a HBP, he wouldn't have been yelling at him. So still in the right? Of course he is. Charging the mound is the part that isn't and is idiotic to me. (Unless a pitcher intentionally throws at your head) ... I understand fights have gone on in all sports, but NFL / NBA / NASCAR have really tried to subdue confrontations. Injuries to star players is not in the best interest of the league.

Anyhow, the Padres play at a sold out LA stadium on Monday. I would expect it to be a pretty rowdy crowd. (Bet there is some extra security on hand) ... Wondering if Mattingly will just throw at Quentin during warm ups?

I am also interested to hear what the Dodgers will play as walk up music when Quentin comes to the plate. (I am sure they will be quite creative)

Greinke pitches inside, while Quentin stands on top of the plate and never backs off any inside pitch. 3-2 count, 1-run game, and Greinke's throwing at him on purpose there? Gimme a break.

The catcher set up low & away. So Greinke either missed his spot by a ton or hit Quentin on purpose. I'm not saying I know which one is true, and either one is possible.

It's true that he set up low and away, but if Greinke drilled him on purpose you'd think the catcher would at least have a clue about a possible confrontation and get out in front of Quentin immediately. Watching the pitch itself, it seemed to have a ton of run on it to the inside, similar to a backup tailing fastball righties try throwing to left handed batters on the same corner of the plate. I think Greinke tried throwing that pitch to the outer 1/2 and didn't get on top of it. But yes, only Greinke knows whether it was intentional for sure.

Quentin has been hit 4 times by 6' 4", 240 lb Nick Blackburn, yet he never charged the mound at him...

Don't ask me why, but I went through all of Quentin's HBP's over his career.

Over his career, he has been hit by the following teams according to the number of times he's been hit.

Minnesota: 11 (Hit 4 times by Nick Blackburn; hit twice in the same game by Glen Perkins)

Detroit: 10

Boston: 9

Kansas City: 9

Baltimore: 8

San Francisco: 7

Tampa Bay: 6

Arizona: 5

Houston: 4

L.A. Dodgers: 4

San Diego: 4

Seattle: 4

Texas: 4

Atlanta: 3

Chicago Cubs: 3 (Hit twice in the same game by Carlos Silva)

Cleveland: 3 (Hit twice in the same game by Jake Westbrook)

Oakland: 3

Pittsburgh: 3

Colorado: 2

Los Angeles Angels: 2

New York Yankees: 2

Philadelphia: 2

Toronto: 2 (Hit by Roy Halladay and Brandon Morrow)

Washington: 2

New York Mets: 1

Miami/Florida: 1

Here is who he's been hit by multiple times coming into this year and how many times they've hit him:

Nick Blackburn - MN: 4

Erik Bedard - SEA: 3 (with two of those hbp's in the same game)

Jon Lester - BOS: 3 (with two of those hbp's in the same game)

Brett Anderson - OAK: 2

Bruce Chen - KC: 2 (both during the 2011 season and I believe it happened on consecutive starts from Chen)

Kyle Davies - KC: 2

Zack Greinke - KC: 2 (before yesterday)

Jim Johnson - BAL: 2

John Lackey - LAA & BOS: 2

Francisco Liriano - MN: 2

Kevin Millwood - TX: 2

Jeff Niemann - TB: 2

Glen Perkins - MN: 2 (both in same game)

David Price - TB: 2

Carlos Silva - CHC: 2 (both in same game)

Justin Verlander - DET: 2

Jake Westbrook - CLE: 2 (both in same game)

Other interesting facts:

Quentin was hit in 4 straight games against Baltimore in 2008 by Jeremy Guthrie, George Sherrill, Chad Bradford, and Greg Aquino. He was also hit in 4 straight games against Boston in 2008 by Jon Lester, D. Matzusaka, David Aardsma, and Josh Beckett.

In Detroit in 2009 he was hit in the same game by Armando Galarraga and Ryan Perry.

He was hit twice in a game 3 times in 2010. It happened against Cleveland, Chicago (Cubs), and Minnesota.

In 2011 he was hit multiple times in the same series 4 times.

Throughout his career he has been hit by these notable pitchers: Jason Schmidt, Chris Young, David Wells, Mike Pelfrey, Wandy Rodriguez, Chad Billingsly, Kenny Rogers, Matt Garza, Ervin Santana, James Shields, Justin Masterson, Derek Lowe, Neftali Feliz, Jeremy Bonderman, Clay Buchholz, Brad Penny, Rafael Soriano, Jose Valverde, Daniel Hudson, Ubaldo Jimenez, Felix Hernandez, Ian Kennedy, Madison Bumgarner, and Tim Lincecum.

He seems to have had plenty of other motivation to charge the mound at other times throughout his career. Perhaps what one can deduce from all of this info, is that many of these pitchers pitch on the inside corner and Quentin stands right on it. I'm more convinced than ever that last night's charge was totally unnecessary.

Follow me on Twitter

Charging the mound is the part that isn't and is idiotic to me. (Unless a pitcher intentionally throws at your head) ... I understand fights have gone on in all sports, but NFL / NBA / NASCAR have really tried to subdue confrontations. Injuries to star players is not in the best interest of the league.

I agree with that. I think intentional HBP and home plate collisions are stupid too (baseball is not a sport where you need violence for it to be exciting).

I just don't think Quentin is a monster for doing what he did since it is sort of "part of the game" (and he did seem to think Greinke was throwing near his head). Some people are saying he deserves a 3+ month suspension... (and ignoring that Greinke could have done a lot more to not provoke the fight). I wonder if that would be the case if the popularity of the respective players were reversed.

Archived