Brewer Fanatic

Greinke Fitting In Great Out West

splitterpfj

If you haven't seen it yet, in a 1-run game, on a 3-2 pitch, Zack Greinke hit Carlos Quentin with a pitch, and Quentin charged the mound.

Greinke turned to one side and absorbed the charging Quentin with his left shoulder, before winding up at the bottom of a pile of players in what became a bench-clearing brawl.

The Dodgers have just announced, Greinke broke his collarbone.

First of all, Quentin is an idiot, there's no way that's intentional in a situation like that.

Second of all...wow.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the video:

http://www.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=26207091&partnerId=as_mlb_20130412_7094784

Unreal. In the video, Scully mentions that a pitch was thrown "right over the bill" of Matt Kemp's helmet earlier in the game, and speculates that the HBP from Greinke may have been retaliation.

EDIT: Skip to 9:10 in the video to see a replay of the pitch thrown to Kemp.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quentin gets HBP more than Rickie Weeks. It looks to me like he didn't make much of an effort to get out of the way of this one either. Maybe I'm a Greinke homer since he pitched for the Brewers, but that's a total bush league move. He's got at least 50 lbs. on Greinke and he rams him in the shoulder. I'd like to see Quentin suspended for a few games. At least it's his left collarbone, so maybe recovery will be quicker.

TLB, that's the third time Greinke has hit Quentin in their careers, and yes, Kemp had a pitch thrown over his head earlier, but they replayed the entire sequence of pitches in the AB, and nothing else was anywhere near Quentin. In a one-run game, leading off an inning, on a 3-2 pitch, I just can't believe the HBP was intentional.

One other thing I can believe though, it looked a bit like Quentin wasn't coming out there, and that quite possibly Greinke said something to him, and then he charged him.

I hope we hear from Quentin, if he charged him because he thinks he was thrown at, I just plain don't buy it.

Don Mattingly is all over Quentin, questioning his baseball acumen not-so-politely, and calling for Quentin to be suspended for as long as Greinke is out.

Quentin gets HBP more than Rickie Weeks. It looks to me like he didn't make much of an effort to get out of the way of this one either. Maybe I'm a Greinke homer since he pitched for the Brewers, but that's a total bush league move. He's got at least 50 lbs. on Greinke and he rams him in the shoulder. I'd like to see Quentin suspended for a few games. At least it's his left collarbone, so maybe recovery will be quicker.

I agree Quentin should be suspended. If I were Mattingly I would be livid too. I would also proceed to plunk Quentin a few more times this year.

It sounds like Quentin is holding grudges on a TLR-like level:

"Myself and Greinke have a history. It dates back a few years. You guys can look it up. It's documented. It could have been avoided. You can ask Zack about that. For me, I've been hit by many pitches in my career. I think you guys know that. I can tell you I've never responded in that fashion, so you guys can do your homework on that. For me, the situation is done. That's it." (from http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130412&content_id=44551080&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

That said, Greinke threw down his glove, lowered his shoulder, and went at Quentin, too. What happened is just basic physics, he's going to take the majority of the impact considering he was barely moving and Quentin had a head start.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

A longer quote, which is classic Zack:

"The only thing I'm going to say about the whole thing that happened there is I've never hit him on purpose," Greinke said. "I never thought of hitting him on purpose. He always seems to think that I'm hitting him on purpose, but, I mean, that's not the case. "I actually thought it was just a ploy to get people to not throw inside to him. I just feel like he's trying to intimidate people to throw away. But I don't know anyone who has hit him on purpose. I know I haven't. Like I said, I hadn't even thought about hitting him on purpose before."

Which I TL;DR as: "I don't throw at him, he simply refuses to get out of the way when I pitch inside."

Maybe Zack provoked him by refusing to avoid throwing at him, but this is hard when he stands on the plate and makes no effort to get out of the way. I think that's part a of the game. I have to think Zack does too.

I look at it the same way I would if it had been Weeks. The guy gets hit constantly and doesn't react to it, if he does react to one there is probably something we don't know about that caused it. I highly doubt we have the full story of this history.

"I never hit him on purpose. I never even thought about hitting him on purpose. He always seems to think I'm hitting him on purpose and that's not the case. That's all I have to say." -Zack Greinke

Greinke seems like the kind of guy who if he hit him on purpose would just come out and say he hit him on purpose.

Someone on the Dodgers' social media team won the Twitters last night: Link

That is even more funny that it came from the offical Dodgers account, I can't imagine the Brewers ever doing that to the Cardinals but kind of wish they would have a couple of years ago.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That said, Greinke threw down his glove, lowered his shoulder, and went at Quentin, too. What happened is just basic physics, he's going to take the majority of the impact considering he was barely moving and Quentin had a head start.

I thought ZG delivered a decent blow given the size disparity. Reminded me of a kicker breaking a collarbone on a tackle but still he stuck his head in there...all he needed to do was wrap up :)

I have Greinke a fantasy team. I'm considering suing Quentin for punitive damages.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/O1HQ6A43hvGPLQScwP4PqQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/Sports/AP_MLB/201304120217082504150-p2.jpg

Kemp and Quentin in the parking lot.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Someone on the Dodgers' social media team won the Twitters last night: Link

That is even more funny that it came from the offical Dodgers account, I can't imagine the Brewers ever doing that to the Cardinals but kind of wish they would have a couple of years ago.

Don't the Dodgers routinely post funny stuff on their twitter machine? I think the LA Kings actually have a legitimately funny twitter account, though I might be mixing up teams.

My favorite part of the video: "That's fertilizer, says Matt Kemp." Obviously he was saying a different kind of f-word.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

http://disciplesofuecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Greinke_MoundCharge.gif

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived