Brewer Fanatic

Blake Lalli Recalled, Hart Moved to 60-Day DL

splitterpfj
Except with Morris, he wouldn't get time to grow. He likely would've gone down when Ramirez came back in a few weeks, or at the latest when Hart came back. I can see your point if it was a debate of whether or not to go with him all season or not, but it's just a short call-up. That had to go into the thought process. If it was a situation where Hart was out for the season or something, Morris would almost guaranteed be the starting 1B right now. I think they just want to wait it out and let him develop in AAA since it's not a long term opening at the major league level. Especially since he struggled in Spring Training. He never had an at-bat above AA before a few days ago, so he still has something left to prove. What does surprise me is that they didn't go harder after a veteran actual 1B if they knew Hart would for sure miss an entire 2 months when the season began. I have to believe they did if they made the the move to 60-day DL him.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My goodness! When the Athletics figured out they were a better team when versatile/athletic starting C Mike Heath could also start and play capably at 2B, 3B, 1B, and in the corner OF positions, was everyone calling for Sandy Alderson's & Tony LaRussa's heads? NO! They got lots of praise for having a versatile & athletic roster that gave them plenty of options.

Now Melvin has zero concept of how to build a roster and again Ron Roenicke might as well be Bozo the Clown? 3/4 of the starting IF is out (Hart, Ramirez, Segura) as are 1-2-3 of the preferred reserves (Gamel, Green, & Bianchi), plus Braun was out for a few days. We need players who are capable of playing where we need 'em, and we have enough positional versatility to weather some of this storm, however un-ideal the options are for a few days in this stretch (which is ONLY a whopping 7 games!).

Morris had a terrible ST and isn't hitting well at Nashville. If he came up and kept struggling as he's done all spring, some of you all would be berating Melvin & Roenicke for shattering his confidence in true Macha-esque fashion!

Agreed 100%. While I would've liked to see Morris, I don't mind Lalli at all. And you're definitely right about people immediately turning it around on Melvin & Co. if Morris struggled. Same situation as when everyone was clamoring for Taylor Green. Seems almost like a lose, lose situation. Going with Lalli opens up Maldonado to play more 1B, and also gives Roenicke another LH option to use off the bench and at 1B some also. I'm not upset with the move at all.

Maldonado showed today in the 9th inning that he's a catcher masquerading as a firstbaseman. His ugly error could have helped lead to a devastating loss had the wind not shifted to hold Castro's deep fly in the park.

So while it's certainly possible that if Morris was called up that he could end up struggling at the plate, at least he'd be a natural firstbaseman defensively. Plus, it's not like he'd be replacing some really good hitter between the myriad of guys who may see time at first until Hart returns.

It seems like just yesterday that prevailing sentiment was "Anyone can play first base, it's so easy. Who cares if Khris Davis has stated he isn't comfortable there or has never played a professional inning at the position?"

Now we absolutely need a dedicated first baseman on the roster because a plus defensive catcher, a formerly plus defensive shortstop and a Yuni Betancourt have shown that apparently not everyone can handle the position defensively.

As for Hunter Morris he had a great campaign in AA last year but the 2 seasons before that he put up OBPs of 306 and 299 in A and A+ at age 21/22. If the organization thinks he needs more time I'll take their word for it.

I agree it would be nice to give Morris more time. Just like it would have been good to give Maldonado more time. But sometimes injuries force a prospect to come up early. It is a fact of life.

I think it is unfair to cherry pick the worst stats you can find from 2+ years ago re Morris. Very Unfair.

In 2013 (so far) at AAA Morris has a 1.232 OPS

In 2012 at AA Morris had a .920 OPS (and a .995 fielding %)

In 2011 between A+ and AA he combined for had .770 OPS

I remember a guy who oddly was not thought of as any sort of a prospect. And he just kept improving each level he advanced. So he would go UP a level and his stats would IMPROVE. Corey Hart.

I do not trust the organisation that puts a third string shortstop at first base over an AA MVP. To me it seemed the Brewers had a wonderful 'no lose' opportunity. Let Morris play two months. It does not really matter (make or break his career) if he is not a world beater. He gets an amazing amount of experience and in two months you send him down. He will not complain. And likely he will do OK. (based on his 'body of work' to date)

I really wish 'the organization' would explain why a 2nd/3rd string shortstop and/or backup catchers are playing first base.... over a AA MVP. It just makes not one iota of sense - except to 'the organization'. Mind you, it all does come down to performance on the field. How is that going for 'the organization'.

blake lalli has two minor league options remaining. the brewers can option him to the minor leagues and keep him on the 40-man roster.

he's been outrighted off the 40-man once before, so if the brewers do try to outright him again and nobody claims him, he does have the right to declare free agency.

Morris had ever chance to win the starting 1B job in spring training and failed miserably. I can't believe people are trying to pin that one on Melvin still.

Agree completely. The door was wide open, seemed like Ash had said if he performed well he could get the job. I hoped he'd make it as much as anybody, but he was not good this spring.

I'm fine with Maldonado playing first. Think he can hold his own and we need the extra pop he has over Gonzalez.

At this point I find it completely baffling that we aren't bringing Morris up. I was on board with it when Hart might be back by May 1st but if you know it is going to be 2 months you bring up a real 1B.

As someone else mentioned, if Melvin was OK with using a back SS at 1B for 2 months of the season, that is disappointing. I suspect he thought (hoped?) that Hart would be getting back a month sooner.

It seems like just yesterday that prevailing sentiment was "Anyone can play first base, it's so easy.

I would only contend that anyone who can play competently at other positions will generally be able to LEARN first base.

I think it is unfair to cherry pick the worst stats you can find from 2+ years ago re Morris. Very Unfair.

In 2013 (so far) at AAA Morris has a 1.232 OPS

In 2012 at AA Morris had a .920 OPS (and a .995 fielding %)

In 2011 between A+ and AA he combined for had .770 OPS

so you're using 7 days of the 2013 season to justify bringing him up instead. gotcha.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Morris had ever chance to win the starting 1B job in spring training and failed miserably. I can't believe people are trying to pin that one on Melvin still.

They gave him about four starts in the last week of February and the first week of March and he went 0-for-15 or something. He was interviewed saying he always starts that way before he locks in. He got a couple of hits in the final couple of games before he was demoted and Gonzalez started playing there nearly every day and was essentially christened the starter. Halton was brought back to the MLB camp late in ST to get some playing time, but Morris was out of camp early.

I certainly wouldn't say he got "every chance to win the starting job." His start was similar Lucroy in the first four or five games this season. Anyone can go hitless for a few games, especially early in spring training, and even more especially when you've got some jitters playing with the MLB club for the first time. Making a judgement on the player based on a handful of PAs in February probably isn't the best way to rate the player. He certainly didn't "fail miserably."

I've also read a few posts saying he's not hitting in Nashville (again a very small sample), but here's his line after a whopping five games: .200 avg / .400 OBP / .467 SLG / .867 OPS Just like the few spring training PA's, his AAA stat line after five games is not anything on which to judge a player, but I wouldn't call that line horrible. He's got five walks already, so (just a guess) it looks like maybe pitchers aren't giving him much to hit after he mashed the ball in his first game.

endaround's post is really the only thing that puts any logic towards bringing Lalli up instead of Morris or Halton. The Brewers are going to need to free up a 40-man space, and they won't mind if they lose Lalli. Add him now and take him off when they need the spot. Lalli is a career minor leaguer (almost 30 years old with 15 MLB ABs) with a .772 OPS in 2,240 minor league ABs, so I can't believe that he's even an upgrade over Yuni Betancourt. He hit a little this spring, so of course Roenicke likes him, but really, he just gives the Brewers the option to play a platoon of two backup catchers at 1B.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As someone else mentioned, if Melvin was OK with using a back SS at 1B for 2 months of the season, that is disappointing. I suspect he thought (hoped?) that Hart would be getting back a month sooner.

It seems like just yesterday that prevailing sentiment was "Anyone can play first base, it's so easy.

I would only contend that anyone who can play competently at other positions will generally be able to LEARN first base.

I think the sentence in boldface has been the general sentiment around here.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So what type of production do we even expect from a guy like Lalli? In about 400 career AAA PA's, his wRC+ is around 70. Is there a story behind why this guy is getting called up outside of a nice spring?

It just seems like there has to be someone out there in AAA who can be had for essentially nothing. Heck, Travis Ishikawa is in AAA right now and he'd be a significant upgrade over the Betancourt/Lalli/Maldonado "platoon".

I have to think that they called Lalli in order to give them enough bench flexibility to play Maldonado at first base. I don't think Lalli will get many starts at first, but these first two months of the season could be pretty ugly until Hart comes off the DL.

My "tempered optimism" for the 2013 season was based on the way the offense clicked in the latter half of 2012. We had such a diverse combination of power and speed in the lineup. Currently, we're deploying backup or utility infielders all over the diamond and are hoping to string three hits together to score a run.

Yet they scored at least seven runs in the last two games. And scored four or more in the first seven. If we can get that type of production with what we trot out there now imagine what is going to happen when we start to get some people back.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It is kinda funny I read how bad Morris is hitting at AAA. So I post his OPS at AAA. And I am told I should not post that as sample too small

So an untruth about his small sample AAA line is justification that he should not be up. But a truthful correction of the untruth is not allowed

It does though explain why Doug did not bring him up. Doug 'thinks' (must have heard somewhere) he is doing badly at AAA

It is kinda funny I read how bad Morris is hitting at AAA. So I post his OPS at AAA. And I am told I should not post that as sample too small

So an untruth about his small sample AAA line is justification that he should not be up. But a truthful correction of the untruth is not allowed

It does though explain why Doug did not bring him up. Doug 'thinks' (must have heard somewhere) he is doing badly at AAA

If you think Doug just assumes Morris is playing bad and doesn't look at stats, follow games, and get good information from scouts then you're crazy. He knows his minor league players, but keep in mind that he isn't the only one with a say in roster moves. Roenicke has some say too and has seen these guys play up close in spring training, and all moves aren't based on just numbers, especially when it comes to young players like Morris. Not calling him up wasn't based on how he performed in one week in AAA.

Currently, we're deploying backup or utility infielders all over the diamond and are hoping to string three hits together to score a run.

That's just it, and playing Betancourt at 1B cost us a mild injury to Segura, in addition to at least 3 runs thus far off the top of my head.

I'm not sure we can count on the Ramirez situation being temporary given that he never fully healed from the ST injury and the Hart situation is certainly no longer temporary.

It's unreasonable to go weeks with so little offensive production at key run producing slots and just because a guy is playing 1B or 3B doesn't mean he should hit 5th if he should really be batting 8th in the line-up, that's just dumb. We aren't getting better defense playing middle infielders at corner infield positions and part of that is the fact that Betancourt isn't a very good athlete relative to his peers and has always been a lazy defender.

Yes injuries stink and are unpredictable, but trying to utilize MI at all positions is asinine. It didn't make sense to convert Gonzales to be the 1B just because Morris struggled in ST, not even for a month. It's not like one day all these guys were healthy and the next everyone was hurt, this situation has slowly developed and progressively worsened since the offseason. Hart has surgery but we're okay because we have Gamel, then Gamel reinjures the same ACL, but we're still okay because we have Halton and Morris in AAA and Green. Morris hits poorly in ST, fine send him down, Halton never seemed to be a serious option, but then Green gets hurt, and a light hitting SS becomes our 1B by default? There were more options available than that and resigning Betancourt was the least best option available. I would rather have Morris or Halton struggling (who knows maybe they wouldn't) against MLB pitching than watch Yuni B play anywhere in the field. So what if Morris struggles, at least he'll give maximum effort and maybe be better for the experience, it doesn't take much to hit for a sub .700 OPS, just about anyone can do that.

I agree that Rogers' lack of velocity was not predictable, but the organization certainly knew about the problem before we did. I wasn't in favor of signing aging pitching depth, I would have rather went into the AAA staff to cover Rogers out of ST, but regardless from which angle you value depth, make a decision and stick with it. If we're going young then fine give them room to fail and grow, if we're going old again then fine but get the best total value for the package, don't get pinned into a corner at the end of ST and sign an aging pitcher to a 3 year contract which also costs us our first round pick.

I don't see why Burgos isn't a valid SP option or why Thornburg can't be considered? What about Hellweg later in the season? There were multiple angles on the pitching front just like there other solutions out there than having aging and light hitting SSs cover injuries all over the field. There's been no flexibility, no creative problem solving, it's just been "we have these guys as bench players so we're going to use them". The little things that Gonzales got wrong like having the incorrect foot on the base I could live with defensively, but offensively it made no sense to play him at 1B for any length of time.

The best way to plan for the unexpected is to have legitimate depth, and no we don't have to be 5 players at deep at every position to have such. 1B was the most crowded position in the organization and yet Gonzales was the best option? I just don't believe that. Kris Davis looks bad in 1 game and all of a sudden he's not ready, he's overmatched, and he needs to be sent down? I've always been curious why baseball doesn't seem to tolerate the struggles of young players much at all. If the guy doesn't hit right away he's garbage... but I'm off track... The point is to have viable depth signed and sitting in AAA, unless of course you have a legitimate prospect at that position, and it just so happens that we do have 2 players in AAA fully capable of playing 1B even after all of the inuries. We didn't need to waste a roster spot on Yuni B, nor do we have to rely on middle infielders and catchers to cover all of the positions as a result of the injuries.

It appears the organization doesn't want to take the chance of losing Rogers... okay, but why should 1 roster spot crause such a domino effect to force so many middle IF types being utilized as depth at spots beyond the MI? It just doesn't make sense and further suggests poor planning and organizational skills... this stuff isn't linear, it's not checkers... just because you have a plethora of SS/CF/MI types doesn't mean that's who should be your MLB emergency depth at every position. I would much rather have an inexperienced player get their feet wet and be better off for it in the future than recycle an out of position "has been" or a "never was". We aren't talking about 21 or 22 year old players, we're talking about players already in their mid 20s. Who cares about a month of service time? We don't lose them until they are 31/32 years old regardless which is exactly the proper age to moving on from someone.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yes injuries stink and are unpredictable, but trying to utilize MI at all positions is asinine. It didn't make sense to convert Gonzales to be the 1B just because Morris struggled in ST, not even for a month.

One would think thousands of at bats over years in the majors vs one good season in AA might have had something to do with it. I think some here need to get over the Morris love until he's shown something more than one good AA season. I still am not convinced that Morris is anything more than Green or Biancci. He certainly hasn't shown he is more at this stage.

I would rather have Morris or Halton struggling (who knows maybe they wouldn't) against MLB pitching than watch Yuni B play anywhere in the field. So what if Morris struggles, at least he'll give maximum effort and maybe be better for the experience, it doesn't take much to hit for a sub .700 OPS, just about anyone can do that.

Since pretty much anyone can do it why not have guys who can play more than one position? This team started out middle of the pack in runs scored. They average over 4 runs per game. All things considered I don't know how much more anyone can expect from any team who loses their 3, 4 and 5 hitter for about 50% of the season so far.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Well, leave it to Roenicke to start Yuni at 1B tonight after calling up Lalli specifically so Maldonado could play more 1B. Looks like it may be Maldonado and Yuni splitting time then, and Lalli just riding the bench. At least he's hitting him 8th, so he's got that part right.

Well, leave it to Roenicke to start Yuni at 1B tonight after calling up Lalli specifically so Maldonado could play more 1B. Looks like it may be Maldonado and Yuni splitting time then, and Lalli just riding the bench. At least he's hitting him 8th, so he's got that part right.

Yuni just singled in his first AB :laughing

This went off topic and down the roster road but keeping with it:

People are high on Morris. It's like Laporta/Green/Gamel when it comes to offense much in the minors to pine about giving a chance on the ML team.

I don't care about the bat that's just a plus/bonus at this point.

What I am annoyed "Read Pizzed" about is having non 1b play 1b! When you have a 1b who in AA last season won the GOLD GLOVE at his position!

Did he win it for his bat? Is that what they gave him the reward for?

It is utterly frustrating to think the management wants a has been SS..two of them man our 1b/3b. This, when a Gold Glove winning 1b is in the waits in the minors who just may have some 1b pop over SS's who have 'Lite Pop" for a SS.

Adding that Weeks isn't the best defensively at 2b, Segura isn't the best defensively at SS and well, Ramirez being gone how we can expect a non-3b to be decent defensively is absolutely ridiculous! So rather than field a 1b who recently was rewarded with a Gold Glove for his performance defensively we put aged and certain stuck in mud SSs to try to field all these balls for Important outs!?? Yeah, I'm thrilled with our management!

• 4 months later...

i know that nashville is still playing, and that blake lalli hasn't spent a lot of time catching at nashville, but don't you find it odd that lalli's name hasn't come up as a september call-up?

lalli is certain to be outrighted in the offseason, but the brewers might as well take advantage of having a third catcher, especially with a stretch of twenty straight games to end the season.

Archived