Brewer Fanatic

brewers post game

LennyBrisco

I'm guessing Lenny is referring to the home radio broadcast of Brewer games? I'm thinking they have limited time to wrap up the post game and return to the regular radio station broadcast.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I agree with you on that, I have yet to find a person that actually watched the field instructional, who thinks that is a good idea?

I actually know a couple people that say they enjoy the on field instructors, so apparently there is an audience for it.

Baseball manager press conferences tend to be pretty dry anyway.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree with you on that, I have yet to find a person that actually watched the field instructional, who thinks that is a good idea?

I actually know a couple people that say they enjoy the on field instructors, so apparently there is an audience for it.

A very, very limited audience. If somebody wants on the field instuctionals go buy the Fred Mcgriff tapes on ebay. If somebody is willing to sit through a three hour game they don't want some lame instructional.

A very, very limited audience. If somebody wants on the field instuctionals go buy the Fred Mcgriff tapes on ebay. If somebody is willing to sit through a three hour game they don't want some lame instructional.

I'd say it's the opposite. We (brewerfan.netters) are by far and away the minority here. The on field instructionals are designed to draw in the casual fan and explain things they may not know.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd say it's the opposite. We (brewerfan.netters) are by far and away the minority here. The on field instructionals are designed to draw in the casual fan and explain things they may not know.

The people I know who like them are actually pretty die hard fans who follow the team every game...they just may not be people who know some of intricacies of sabremetrics or who our starting low A pitching staff is comprised of.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Most of the time I find myself bored with the manager press conferences as I find it to be mostly just rehashing what I just watched. Typical quotes from these press conferences:

"I thought 'insert pitcher's name here' threw very well (regardless of what the outcome was). He missed his spot on the pitch to 'insert player on opposing team that hit a HR'"

"'Insert Brewer player here' is hitting the ball hard, just right at people. I'm not worried about him at all"

"Yeah, he tweaked it. We'll take a look at it and see how he feels tomorrow"

Roenicke (and most managers) never comes out and says something like "Well it obvious he's struggling and we will need to look at replacing him in the linup (or in the rotation)"

Never any "stop the presses" news

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I agree completely with Patrick's assessment. A bunch of cliches and coach speak is all I expect. The reporters rarely ask anything interesting and it ends up being just a rehash. If amazingly, something useful is said it is all over Twitter in about 30 seconds so I pretty much change the channel as soon as the game ends.

Makes me think of the sideline reporters and their uselessness yet the media people insist they are helpful and get all bent outta shape when they get blown off. Watching the coaches head to halftime at the basketball game last night was perfect example. I don't even remember which coach was being interviewed because the answers could have came from either. Reporter asks generic question about game, coach, "They hit some shots, we hit some shots, it is a really good game."

I couldn't care less about any of the post game programming. For me, the channel changes almost immediately after the final out. I don't care to hear Roenecke spouting one cliche after another segueing into Davey/Craig spouting cliches. Now, if the Brewers hired Hal McRae as manager, I would be interested in those post-game pressers....

I think the on field instructionals have a place somewhere, but not on the post-game show.

I'm in the group that wants to hear the manager. It's a chance to hear what he thinks firsthand rather than having what he had to say subsequently misquoted by reporters.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Interviews and press conferences are only interesting when someone interesting is being asked interesting questions.

And I think we're 0-for-2 on that.

I subscribe to the Journal/Sentinel and don't remember anyone ever criticizing Melvin, Roenicke or Attanasio. They didn't report on K-Rod's domestic assault until the season was over, a month after the incident. Is there anyone in the room who is going to ask anything that will cause a stir?

Plus, Roenicke is a boring guy. He might be fine in the clubhouse, or inspiring play on the field, but to me, he's about as vanilla a personality as you can have. . .compared to Bobby Valentine, Jim Leyland, Charlie Manuel, Ozzie Guillen, he's dull tv.

I sort of like the instructional stuff. Those segments impress upon me that baseball skills are difficult to master.

While they often have info that I didn't consider before, I'm not really ever going to play or coach, so it's more a matter of being nice to know. For me, I'd rather they do a quick recap of other action in baseball, maybe highlight the top fantasy players that day, talk about pitching performances of guys the Brewers are going to face their next time around, show some game highlights, talk about what happened in the Brewers minor league system, do an injury update, and sign off.

I agree with Jim on the press conferences. After every game I have at least a couple questions i would love to ask RR. Either about the game that day, or something bigger picture. But rarely do these questions get asked. Still, in all, I would rather see the full press conf rather than the other fluff. I think if we saw the full press conf every day at least useful info would bound to come out once in a while. Much better than watching how a pitcher backs-up home plate. (And I don't think the "casual fan" is interested in that stuff either.) My wife, for example, is a huge Brewers fan. Watches every game with me. And I can't tell you how little she cares about how to properly execute a pitch-out. I notice most people tend to like the player interviews and that's about it.

I remember the days when the game itself was "the show." Now we apparently have a dying need for pre-game, post-game, in game twitter polls, etc. Here's an idea. Can we just watch a baseball game?

Still, in all, I would rather see the full press conf rather than the other fluff. I think if we saw the full press conf every day at least useful info would bound to come out once in a while. Much better than watching how a pitcher backs-up home plate.

Or Craig & Davey stammer their way through relatively useless analysis.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, those on field instructionals are painfully bad and can't imagine how anyone can actually watch them beyond the comedy factor of watching Davey Nelson stammer through forming sentences.

I'm not defending the on-field instructionals because I agree, they gotta go.

However, at least they do tend to make the topic of that night's instructional to be based on an event that did occur in that night's ballgame.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived