Brewer Fanatic

The closer (or lack thereof) thread

MVP2110
So I'm guessing RRR keeps Ax in the role but it just seems like sooner rather than later he is going to get marmol'd. Who would you like to see as the closer. Personally for me It would have to be Henderson or Figaro. I like the idea of Figaro but I think Henderson is more likely. Outside shot to Gorzelanny

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figaro scares me. The loopy back end of his motion seems to be why he throws pitches all over the place.

Ax looks bad, but he's also an easy fix. His mechanics are off right now which is why he's up in the zone. When Ax is on top of his game, he rarely throws above the belt.

Henderson looks okay so far. Gonzalez is all over the place.

My worry isn't the bullpen right now, it's that we seemingly never have leads. Tomorrow's lineup may very well include 2 light-hitting shortstops, a minor league utility player, and a backup OF in left. That doesn't inspire much confidence.

My worry isn't the bullpen right now, it's that we seemingly never have leads. Tomorrow's lineup may very well include 2 light-hitting shortstops, a minor league utility player, and a backup OF in left. That doesn't inspire much confidence.

And don't forget, no one on the active roster who played first base prior to 2013....

Ax looks bad, but he's also an easy fix.

Didn't seem so easy to fix him last year, I think he is just plain done.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Olmsted had a terrible outing for Triple-A Nashville the other day. Perhaps he's not ready..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Relievers are fickle, no reason Axford can't be completely dominating the rest of the season or just awful and out of baseball. I think you pull him from the role and pitch him in low pressure situations for a while until he works it out. I'd give the nod to Big Jim for now considering most of the rest of the bullpen is awful.

I agree, you have to put him in some lower leverage situations for now. It's not like he's gotten unlucky with a couple of groundballs sneaking through the infield. His fastball is inconsistent with velocity and control. He missed one of his pitches so badly that it flew to the backstop over the umpire's head. He has given up 6 earned runs, including 4 HRs while recording only 8 outs. If we played in a slightly smaller ballpark he would have given up even more HRs.

It's just not working right now and if he comes into a 1 run game in the 9th, it's not going to take much for RR/Axford to get booed.

What really bothered me is that he looked pretty bad but managed to complete a scoreless inning. What could have been a nice stepping stone towards fixing his issues and a winnable game turned into a really obvious 2 point deficit before we even got another out. There was no reason to think he would survive a 2nd inning today. This is an actual case of the manager doing a poor job unlike a lot of the little things people love to complain about, I was expecting a lot more people to be complaining about it.

What really bothered me is that he looked pretty bad but managed to complete a scoreless inning. What could have been a nice stepping stone towards fixing his issues and a winnable game turned into a really obvious 2 point deficit before we even got another out. There was no reason to think he would survive a 2nd inning today. This is an actual case of the manager doing a poor job unlike a lot of the little things people love to complain about, I was expecting a lot more people to be complaining about it.

I could see maybe using Axford against the RHer to start the inning. But after Hinske was called upon, should clearly have been removed.

In his postgame press conference, Roenicke said he didn't like sending Axford back out there for a second inning either, but that he really had no better options, because the bullpen is already getting thin.

Think about that, game six went extra innings, and the manager made what he knew was a high risk decision, because the bullpen is already stressed.

What a completely disgusting start to a season.

It's appalling to see RRR still say Axford is still my guy/man. When you are avg a HR given up for every other out? and given up HRs in all 3 appearances made on the year.? You want that to be your man? If it's one thing I don't want to see as my closer is the one who has a penchant of giving up HRs.

Axford shouldn't be put back in a Closer's situation until he's gone 6ip w/o giving up a HR. Unlike last season, Axford isn't giving up these HRs to your typical Power hitting bunch. That was Dexter Fowler going Yard on him twice...and Aging, forever utility man Eric Hinske today. That to me is an awful sign. If the middle of the pack or lower guys in the power group can take him deep now, today, those HRs he gave up to the Power group last year are going to continue and maybe even at a higher rate.

Henderson will be the closer until Axford can right the ship:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9151150/john-axford-loses-job-milwaukee-brewers-closer-now

Or... Henderson will be the closer until teams are using him for BP as well

:laughing

Then next guy up I guess. Hendo should have a short leash though. If he isn't getting the job done, move on quickly.

Archived