Brewer Fanatic

2013-04-07 Diamondbacks (Kennedy) at Brewers (Gallardo), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-7, 11 innings]

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate the bunt attempts once Aoki was already at second. Would much rather have three hitters go up there looking for singles than waste a batter on a sac and have the next hitter up there thinking sac fly.

Agreed. It's one thing to call for a bunt with a runner at first and the defense possibly not ready for it. After Aoki was at 2B and the defense knew what was up, seemed silly.

So they'll use other overhead cam for a play at the plate that wasn't close, but they can't go to it for that questionable pitch #5 to Lucroy? I would have appreciated seeing that angle.

Nice job Luc ... but I think if that throw from the OF avoids the hop, they got Nori. It was a short throw, would have expected it to hit the C on a fly.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Hate the bunt attempts once Aoki was already at second. Would much rather have three hitters go up there looking for singles than waste a batter on a sac and have the next hitter up there thinking sac fly.

Agreed. It's one thing to call for a bunt with a runner at first and the defense possibly not ready for it. After Aoki was at 2B and the defense knew what was up, seemed silly.

So what if they knew? There are lots of instances where the defense knows, but you can still execute. Gomez just did a horrible job. Square around and bunt...don't try to get a "head start" out of the box.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Isn't Prince a SS? He has to be better than Yuni.

I can see the move, as Gonzo made the last out, but still. Ugh.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I guess it comes down to what is statistically more likely throughout history, the odds of one of three straight .250 hitters getting a base hit vs the odds of plating a runner from third with one out.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I guess it comes down to what is statistically more likely throughout history, the odds of one of three straight .250 hitters getting a base hit vs the odds of plating a runner from third with one out.

A wild pitch or passed ball scores a runner from 3rd as well. RR has made the squeeze play work in his favor a few times, which would have been an option with Aoki's speed at 3rd. I'm normally against the sacrifice bunt, but when you are playing for 1 run late in the game and you have speed on the base path, small ball seems like a good option. No guarantees that a single scores a runner from 2nd anyway, you saw how close it was.

I'd guess the odds would be in favor of latter. With a runner at third, the runner could score on a sac fly, wild pitch, squeeze play, bobbled ground ball, etc. It definitely puts more pressure on the pitcher and fielders.

Archived